Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wonder if someone from the show was reading this thread. Ed Smith on instead of John Guidell.

Ed should be on every week

• Registered Users Posts: 23,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

siblers wrote: »
    Wonder if someone from the show was reading this thread. Ed Smith on instead of John Guidell.

Ed should be on every week

He did do John justice tho loved the joke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I like Kimmage, but that other dose that used to be on, can't think of his name, lives in Brazil. A real pain in the hole/

Miguel Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cal naughton

Miguel Delaney?

I'm sure he is referring to Ewan McKenna who now lives in Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

That's who I thought he meant too. He used to live in Brazil before moving to Portugal. He's an angrier, more toxic version of Paul Kimmage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

McKenna, thats him. Delaney ain't much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Tork wrote: »
    That's who I thought he meant too. He used to live in Brazil before moving to Portugal. He's an angrier, more toxic version of Paul Kimmage.

Has a grá for all things GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Was McKenna on TLW? I never remember him being on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Was McKenna on TLW? I never remember him being on it.

He was indeed, many a time. I find McKenna often makes good points, but then loses the audience and often the argument in the way he presents his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

He was indeed, many a time. I find McKenna often makes good points, but then loses the audience and often the argument in the way he presents his case.
    Agree - McKenna was interesting to listen to about the world cup in Brazil as he was living there at the time.
    He doesn't seem to have any more articles in the Indo anymore, and you rarely hear him on the radio - is he becoming a liability?
    Both him and Paddy Web summit seem to get the most backlash from Irish media on Twitter but they both love to court controversy online but you never hear either on the radio anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Maybe they are mates again but I believe matty took umbrage to something nick said about his wife in jest

Probably something about mutton dressed as lamb I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

robo wrote: »
    Agree - McKenna was interesting to listen to about the world cup in Brazil as he was living there at the time.
    He doesn't seem to have any more articles in the Indo anymore, and you rarely hear him on the radio - is he becoming a liability?
    Both him and Paddy Web summit seem to get the most backlash from Irish media on Twitter but they both love to court controversy online but you never hear either on the radio anymore.

Mckenna and Miquel piled onto a few normal punters on Twitter once or twice, and it was quite unpleasent. I did like McKennas articles in the papers, but hes a prick to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Who was the politician from Labour on before 6 speaking on the Male bias in Covid-19 decision making?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Jed Nash I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

I’ve started tuning into Cormac and Sarah in the afternoon on Rte radio 1 and I won’t lie I’m enjoying it more than tlw, it’s fresh tlw I’m afraid has become quite jaded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭statto25

Jed Nash I believe

I must have it wrong so as Nash was speaking about insurance I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I’ve started tuning into Cormac and Sarah in the afternoon on Rte radio 1 and I won’t lie I’m enjoying it more than tlw, it’s fresh tlw I’m afraid has become quite jaded

TLW I find very repetitive.

The news, sports, weather, competitions etc....take up too much time.

Matt must read out the WhatsApp number and tell me I could have the last word about 20 times every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The female sports reporter just now is obviously a massive rugby fan, as well as a keen geography and placename student. She just pronounced “Gloucester” as “Glough-Chester”.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cooper in full 'I told you so' mode this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cooper in full 'I told you so' mode this evening.

Nice of him to turn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does anyone find what Marian McKeown or Cal Thomas interesting?

Genuine question.

I've not found them interesting for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jank1

When did they axe the best of last word on saherdhay mornings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

had a chuckle when Cal Thomas told Cooper he would " miss Trump "

Matt all in a fluster claiming he would not miss him

the man " Doth protest too much "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Does anyone find what Marian McKeown or Cal Thomas interesting?

Genuine question.

I've not found them interesting for years.

Anytime you hear someone of the right on the radio it is interesting as it happens so rarely.

Anytime you hear someone of the right on the radio it is interesting as it happens so rarely.

find Cal Thomas completely mediocre myself

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    had a chuckle when Cal Thomas told Cooper he would " miss Trump "

Matt all in a fluster claiming he would not miss him

the man " Doth protest too much "

Matt loves talking about Trump, I guarantee that if Trump is maintaining public life after this (if he's not brought to jail!) Matt will be talking about him a lot!!

I like Cal tho, I think he has the ability to actually balance what he's saying rather than Marion. Cal admits he thinks Trump is a fool but he prefers his politics. You'd never hear Marion criticising the democrats tho. I was also shocked 1 day when Matt was doing the Ask me Anything with D&D and someone asked if he hates Cal - Matt corrected him that he's a friend. Imagine that, being friends with someone you have differing viewpoints on!!

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Matt loves talking about Trump, I guarantee that if Trump is maintaining public life after this (if he's not brought to jail!) Matt will be talking about him a lot!!

I like Cal tho, I think he has the ability to actually balance what he's saying rather than Marion. Cal admits he thinks Trump is a fool but he prefers his politics. You'd never hear Marion criticising the democrats tho. I was also shocked 1 day when Matt was doing the Ask me Anything with D&D and someone asked if he hates Cal - Matt corrected him that he's a friend. Imagine that, being friends with someone you have differing viewpoints on!!

different viewpoints are fine but being friends with a wally like cooper is a step too far and Cal should find new mates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Jank1 wrote: »
    When did they axe the best of last word on saherdhay mornings ?

It's been a while since they could scrape an hour together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

It's probably because the station as a whole has been dumbing down. Remember when the weekends used to have the likes of Sam Smyth and the Sunday Business Show?

On the other hand, the news cycle is moving so fast that something from Monday or Tuesday is going to be as stale as a 3 day old baguette.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    It's probably because the station as a whole has been dumbing down. Remember when the weekends used to have the likes of Sam Smyth and the Sunday Business Show?

On the other hand, the news cycle is moving so fast that something from Monday or Tuesday is going to be as stale as a 3 day old baguette.

could never listen to Sam Smyth , i dont have the patience for people who take five minutes to utter a short sentence

Advertisement