Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Any comments on BFT? Merge news re paysafe. Any comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Shedite27 wrote: »
    While on the topic of apps, I'm looking for something to track the 1 week, 1 month, 3 moht etc performance of stocks. In my head It's an app that I can just put in the 30 stocks or so that I've invested in, and it';ll show me those values in a table. Sounds like it should be straightforward but I can't find anything, Yahoo Finance doesn't show me. Anyone have anything like that?

You can set up your stocks on Google Sheets to show the price on specified dates.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Im always happy to post trades , warts and all, we are all always learning in this game. What I like about this thread, the honesty, theres no honesty in all that millennial PC woke bs .

Going thru my CGT filing , I came a cross a whole bunch of MRNA MODERNA buys at 22 back in March... currently sits at 160 !!!

Unfortunately I sold most in the 30s.. mostly cos I didnt trust the smarmy CEO who was getting alot of airtime on CNBC back at the time and selling his stock.
    Plus even though I owe France alot my innate WW2 bias has never forgiven the French for Mers-El-Kebir and everytime I saw his face Id think yeah he would definitely have been Vichy, couldnt stomach holding the stock long term .:P

Cest la vie its only money albeit would have been a very major sum, still too much comfort is unhealthy , as Joe Rogan says I dont want to sit around getting my toes painted and grapes stuffed into my face.. get those fking grapes out of my face.

Heh newbies research and patience will often pay off. One without the other is just another woulda,shoulda,coulda story .
    pity party over .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Im always happy to post trades , warts and all, we are all always learning in this game. What I like about this thread, the honesty, theres no honesty in all that millennial PC woke bs .

Going thru my CGT filing , I came a cross a whole bunch of MRNA MODERNA buys at 22 back in March... currently sits at 160 !!!

Unfortunately I sold most in the 30s.. mostly cos I didnt trust the smarmy CEO who was getting alot of airtime on CNBC back at the time and selling his stock.
    Plus even though I owe France alot my innate WW2 bias has never forgiven the French for Mers-El-Kebir and everytime I saw his face Id think yeah he would definitely have been Vichy, couldnt stomach holding the stock long term .:P

Cest la vie its only money albeit would have been a very major sum, still too much comfort is unhealthy , as Joe Rogan says I dont want to sit around getting my toes painted and grapes stuffed into my face.. get those fking grapes out of my face.

Heh newbies research and patience will often pay off. One without the other is just another woulda,shoulda,coulda story .
    pity party over .

I've a similar story with Fiverr. One of my first ever trades and I bought in at around 30 and sold around 60 thinking I was hot stuff with my 100% gain

Now at 202.....

Weird first year, a lot of time lurking here seeing how others pick stocks and reading reports available on yahoo finance. Cloudera was my largest stake until late last week when I sold out at around the 12.50 mark having accumulated shares for an average of 10.14. Stock has been up and down all year and will likely go back in if it goes into the 10s again, some takeover rumours but they have had four earning beats in a row which is where my confidence lies.

Worst trade by far was OVID, lost over 60% when their Neptune trial came back a bust. Still a tie in with Takeda for another promising phase 3 so holding firm for now in the hopes of it making a recovery and I can cut my losses smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Me too... Moderna in at 69, out at 99 feeling very smug with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

On one day in Feb, I decided Tesla was the only EV stock to own.

Sold 20 NIO @ 3.94 - currently at $45
    Sold 20 PLUG @ $3.99 - currently at $25

Missed out on 1100% and 600% gains

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

PLTR , doing well again, that was some dip, thats why you need either balls of steel or else just stay off the net for a short time and let the things you have researched and believe in work themselves out.

I think they are distinguishing themselves in a crowded market, if you want quality software and dont want to have to sign an agreement that says no one legged unicorns were harmed in the making of this software, then PLTR are the company you buy from. Many competitors are beholden to the agendas of employees and this will only increase.
    Military, US govt agencys all buying in, the scale at which they operate is at a level far above most companies, once your ingrained in their systems thats it they will never get you out, plus these institutions are also fked up anyways with politics, internal slush funds, over budget, over staffed, that all they want is someone to provide a service without adding another layer of sjw complexity, although no one who works there would say that publicly.

Plus the irony for the Robinhood millenials is pure entertainment... do you want to make a great investment and make a whole lot of money, or will your principles hold you back as your generation creates their future (and somehow recreates the past even though its already happened).

PSTH getting a shakedown, seems like a buying opputunity if you believe in Ackman . Remember nothing is what it seems on Wall Street, even that bronze bull, Im always deflated when I see it, the thing is much smaller in real life than pictures make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anyone getting Airbnb tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

cronos wrote: »
    Bought some PSTH at 26.25. Hope for the best!
    I sold out of fear at 25.51. One of my poorest trades to date but it's hard to put a value on a stock like this. How much is tied up in the hope it's Stripe. Seems to have rebounded though. So that's couple of hundred down the drain haha. Will rejoin if it drops a bit.

Did you really buy in and panic sell out of a stock all within an hour? Everyone has their own strategy but I think you should never have made that buy if you were going to get spooked out of it by a 2-3% drop.

I'm very keen but I saw they've upped the IPO price to give a valuation around $40bn. I want to get in but will probably wait for it to settle down a bit, or I may just average in over the next few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

robman60 wrote: »
    I'm very keen but I saw they've upped the IPO price to give a valuation around $40bn. I want to get in but will probably wait for it to settle down a bit, or I may just average in over the next few weeks/months.

Will be doing the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

robman60 wrote: »
    Did you really buy in and panic sell out of a stock all within an hour? Everyone has their own strategy but I think you should never have made that buy if you were going to get spooked out of it by a 2-3% drop.

In retrospect I sure shouldn't have made that buy, wasn't possible to know how far the drop would go. But the Collision tweet came literally a minute after I bought. Was hard to know how far it would drop. Was hoping to see it drop to 23/24 and rebuy. Keeping an eye on what happens still as it's still down. But may go back up. I didn't think it was Stripe to begin with to be honest but hard to know how people thinking that would have upped the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

In retrospect I sure shouldn't have made that buy, wasn't possible to know how far the drop would go. But the Collision tweet came literally a minute after I bought. Was hard to know how far it would drop. Was hoping to see it drop to 23/24 and rebuy. Keeping an eye on what happens still as it's still down. But may go back up. I didn't think it was Stripe to begin with to be honest but hard to know how people thinking that would have upped the price.

To be fair I'd have done the same in expectation of a big drop.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'm still holding a bit of a bag in NIO but I am quite optimistic and I think this is a medium to long term hold. They are close to a billion dollar financing package and sales are picking up nicely for what are fantastic cars.

While I'm on the subject of electric cars I think Tesla are on their way to $1000+ dollars over the next few years. I'm not as optimistic on NIO but they are both way ahead of the competition and there market gets bigger by the day.

Just searching some of the shares discussed during 2020 January.
    I should have come to this board a lot earlier :(
    I hope Bob held on to his Nio and Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

While on the topic of apps, I'm looking for something to track the 1 week, 1 month, 3 moht etc performance of stocks. In my head It's an app that I can just put in the 30 stocks or so that I've invested in, and it';ll show me those values in a table. Sounds like it should be straightforward but I can't find anything, Yahoo Finance doesn't show me. Anyone have anything like that?

Wallmine will give you that view on the benchmark tab, its split into
    5 days, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years
    and allows you to compare performance with the s&p, nasdaq etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've applied for IPO stock but it'll be far oversubscribed so I'm not optimistic. But yes, I will be buying AirBnB in the next month, read their S1 and a lot of analysis on this.

I love the business model, used it for years on business trips and holidays, and love the idea of it. They had huge losses with the pandemic, but got to cut a loads of staff, so once bookings came back with the less costs, they're gonna have huge profit numbers. Q3 for them was a glimpse into that, US people thought they were back to normal between waves, and the costs were cut, they had $250k profit in that quarter. When we're back up and running it'll be a monster.

Also they spend very little on advertising, everyone looking for a rental goes straight to AirBnB rather than Expedia, Google, so they might be the first ever tech company not to have to worry about paying Google and Facebook advertising money. They have very little assets as they use other peoples homes, so they're going to destroy hotels with their massive property costs. Hotels that are in a fairly goosed financial position after 2020 anyway.

Perfect brand, low costs, no assets, massive profits, no advertising to pay, yes I'm very bullish on them.

What I don't get it in IPO, I'll wait a week or two. All the tech IPO's I've followed this year have done a big V....
    Snowflake - IPO at $120; Day 1 $300; dropped to $210, now $388
    Lemonade - IPO at $29; Day 1 $90; dropped to $45, now $95
    Asana - IPO at $27; Day 1 $30; dropped to $21, now $29

I'm confident this will be a $75bn company this time next year, so would be happy to pay anything under $100 for the shares. I expect it to be $120 on Day 1, but will be under $100 by mid-Jan (hopefully)

I've applied for IPO stock but it'll be far oversubscribed so I'm not optimistic. But yes, I will be buying AirBnB in the next month, read their S1 and a lot of analysis on this.

I love the business model, used it for years on business trips and holidays, and love the idea of it. They had huge losses with the pandemic, but got to cut a loads of staff, so once bookings came back with the less costs, they're gonna have huge profit numbers. Q3 for them was a glimpse into that, US people thought they were back to normal between waves, and the costs were cut, they had $250k profit in that quarter. When we're back up and running it'll be a monster.

Also they spend very little on advertising, everyone looking for a rental goes straight to AirBnB rather than Expedia, Google, so they might be the first ever tech company not to have to worry about paying Google and Facebook advertising money. They have very little assets as they use other peoples homes, so they're going to destroy hotels with their massive property costs. Hotels that are in a fairly goosed financial position after 2020 anyway.

Perfect brand, low costs, no assets, massive profits, no advertising to pay, yes I'm very bullish on them.

What I don't get it in IPO, I'll wait a week or two. All the tech IPO's I've followed this year have done a big V....

I'm confident this will be a $75bn company this time next year, so would be happy to pay anything under $100 for the shares. I expect it to be $120 on Day 1, but will be under $100 by mid-Jan (hopefully)

Thank you, will load up some during the dip

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Great take on it! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Great take on it! Thank you!

https://youtu.be/EqQQ8OLNiSM anyone else follow this chap on YouTube? He's alittle too positive about everything and has started spamming with his patreon too much lately, however I really like his detailed analysis. But yeh largely agreed about Airbnb, I'll be looking at small positions at the IPO and any dips after the hype dies down.

This weeks smallcap winners for me include TRNE (upcoming SPAC on metal 3D printing, similar to nndm), AQP (GMO salmon fish farming company, Ark invest have a good few shares in them) and UMC.

DSGT and SOLO (both EV companies) I caught the top of and was left with 40%+ drawdowns, but thankfully they are creeping back up now. What do yas tend to do when you have a small cap as such that was on a momentum run but sinks like a stone once you buy lol, cut your losses quick, hang on until you get somewhere towards breakeven, or do you hold on hoping eventually they eventually proper pop again haha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Timmaay wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/EqQQ8OLNiSM anyone else follow this chap on YouTube? He's alittle too positive about everything and has started spamming with his patreon too much lately, however I really like his detailed analysis. But yeh largely agreed about Airbnb, I'll be looking at small positions at the IPO and any dips after the hype dies down.

Don't know that channel - there's a guy in Dublin 'The Popular Investor' Robert Reynolds I think his name is, he does excellent analysis of companies - well worth a look - the best I've seen for content and how it's delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I like AirBnB too - it's a term that has worked it's way into our daily lexicon like google and Uber and that is a very powerful marketing tool that costs nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I like AirBnB too - it's a term that has worked it's way into our daily lexicon like google and Uber and that is a very powerful marketing tool that costs nothing.

That's so true, when i go on holidays the inevitable question I get these days is did you AirBnB it? For families with kids its a great way of cutting costs and establishing a base for them to run around. Our last 4/5 holidays were spent in AirBnB accommodation the other was a Haven holiday in Wales (best ever apparently by the kids!)

I'd say its going to be a very popular IPO

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

jinish wrote: »
    Any comments on BFT? Merge news re paysafe. Any comments?

Jumped in yesterday to ride the trend on the news of merger don't know much about the BFT or its mgmt, however Paysafe is a UK based payment processor with various brands under its arm. It is privately owned by Blackstone and CVC currently.

This is my short-term speculation holding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

IPOC surely worth looking at under $11/12 dollars, this will be far more in a few months. One of Chamaths spac's that is merging with clover health.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭al87987

Lexicon Pharmaceuticals LXRX with a 50% jump for me today. Only bought a very small bit last week and its up 70% so far.

I'm only trading less than a month and read this article today basically saying its a bad investment so not sure how to proceed. Any feedback apprectiated.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.investorsobserver.com/news/stock-update/amp/how-risky-is-lexicon-pharmaceuticals-inc-lxrx-stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Soo, a Brexit deal of sorts has been agreed. Yawn !!!!

Was thinking there would be a bounce in UK shares. Soo far noofing, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Someone on here tipped Regulus ($RGLS) a good few months back. Based on that tip, and that tip alone I put some money their way. Shortly after the price collapsed and as per my usual strategy I left the position open in the hope it would turn around. Seems to have happened and it's up 27% today compared to yesterday and I'm 20% up now! Not sure what the trigger was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Someone on here tipped Regulus ($RGLS) a good few months back. Based on that tip, and that tip alone I put some money their way. Shortly after the price collapsed and as per my usual strategy I left the position open in the hope it would turn around. Seems to have happened and it's up 27% today compared to yesterday and I'm 20% up now! Not sure what the trigger was

Hardest question is when to sell. I was up 14% earlier on crosshair gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anybody still watching Pilbara Minerals PLS? Had them pretty much written off but they've come roaring back. Problem is Im buying a house soon and the cash would be seriously helpful at the minute, wondering what the chances are of it slipping away. Although it does seem like an actual lithium boom could be on the horizon now after the false starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Folks watch-out for Ciena Corp - CIEN networking giant. After last Quarter results in Sep which beat the estimates, their guidance did them and they dropped 30%, IMO they have formed a base around 38-39 and ripe to grow from there. have picked some at 39.60..
    Will hold with a SL of 5-7%

Not sure if anyone got it, has been ticking along nicely and is up nearly 20%, earnings will be out this Thursday Morning...based on Q3 guidance Revenue is supposed to be lower if it beats it expect it to pop. So hold with a tight SL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Hardest question is when to sell. I was up 14% earlier on crosshair gaming.

Not hard at all. I sold!

Advertisement