Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on a Nissan Leaf 24kW 2016

Options
  • 08-12-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I just bought a Nissan Leaf 24kW (2016) for my wife,
    Battery seems to charge to the Max but it’s also draining super fast.

I was driving it even this morning, without the heating and driving very economically (slow acceleration, avoiding breaking, and never when over 100km/h) but yet after driving my kids to school and back the battery when from 100% to 62% !
    Just going to school and back (32km)

We usually do this trip 3times sometime 4 times a day (96/128km) but obviously using 40% by trip I’ll only be able to do that trip twice Max.

I wonder if anything wrong with the battery or if this an expected range ? (A bit over 60km)

Also I’m ending up charging the battery fully at night time then again in day time, is that not very bad for the battery health ?
    I also read some where that I should only charge to 80% although I’m fully charging every time (otherwise I’ll be stuck...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭KCross

1%=1km is a good rule of thumb for the 24kWh Leaf so you are in the right ball park with using 38% for 32km.

It will be a bit better in summer.

So, yes, doing that journey twice on one charge is what you will be able to do without suffering range anxiety so charge it during the day for an hour or two (not to 100%) to allow you to do the 3rd journey without any worries. Dont worry about it affecting the battery. As long as you are not leaving it at 100% for prolonged periods it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

KCross wrote: »
    1%=1km is a good rule of thumb for the 24kWh Leaf so you are in the right ball park with using 38% for 32km.

It will be a bit better in summer.

So, yes, doing that journey twice on one charge is what you will be able to do without suffering range anxiety so charge it during the day for an hour or two (not to 100%) to allow you to do the 3rd journey without any worries. Dont worry about it affecting the battery. As long as you are not leaving it at 100% for prolonged periods it will be fine.

Thank you, that’s a relief, I will do that plus I can still use the primary car if we don’t have enough battery.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In my old 24 kWh leaf (2014) I could get 1km per 1% of charge in winter at an indicated 100kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

It sounds normal enough, are you going up and down hills? lots of stop and go? It's very cold at the moment as well

I live in a very hilly area and to go to the nearest town uses 13% one way and about 23% coming home! It's those hills, you will never regen as much as you lose, I'm not a slow driver though.

I charge to 100 and use the preheat function, come out to a lovely toasty and defrosted car before going to school

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

loopymum wrote: »
    It sounds normal enough, are you going up and down hills? lots of stop and go? It's very cold at the moment as well

I live in a very hilly area and to go to the nearest town uses 13% one way and about 23% coming home! It's those hills, you will never regen as much as you lose, I'm not a slow driver though.

I charge to 100 and use the preheat function, come out to a lovely toasty and defrosted car before going to school

Yes I’m driving in west cork from rosscarbery to clonakilty there is a few hills alright.

I use the preheat too, but I have to turn on and off the windshield defrost a few time (just a few sec though)

Thinking about it, I can only do rosscarbery to clonakilty (and a bit more) with my Volvo (XC90 T8) and I think the battery is 10kw so in this perspective the leaf is doing not so bad afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sounds right to me (I have one!) - this time of year with freezing mornings and cold weather really sucks the energy from the battery.

With that sort of usage its a pity you didn't ask advice on here first - we'd all have told you to go for the 30Kwh Leaf which would be perfect for this usage pattern.

Edit: oh and keep charging it to 100% and topping up during the day as needed, it won't do any harm at all.

Advertisement