Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Sky Q Hybrid LNB no longer available from Sky?

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ kmurph


    Hi

    Does anyone know for certain if Sky no longer supply Hybrid LNB's as part of a Sky Q upgrade if you have existing free to air boxes connected to your existing setup?

    I've booked a Sky Q upgrade for the end of the month and rang to request a hybrid lnb be supplied but they stated in no uncertain terms that they don't supply them and any existing free to air boxes will no longer work.

    I've no problem buying one to have when the installer comes, but just wondering if this is the policy now.


«13

Comments



  • Sky wont supply, get one on ebay and have it ready for installer.




  • kmurph wrote: »
    Hi

    Does anyone know for certain if Sky no longer supply Hybrid LNB's as part of a Sky Q upgrade if you have existing free to air boxes connected to your existing setup?

    I've booked a Sky Q upgrade for the end of the month and rang to request a hybrid lnb be supplied but they stated in no uncertain terms that they don't supply them and any existing free to air boxes will no longer work.

    I've no problem buying one to have when the installer comes, but just wondering if this is the policy now.

    That's a customer unfriendly policy anyway




  • Surely you are entitled to maintain existing FTA services. To my mind that is the equivalent of your mobile provider saying they will disconnect your landline.




  • Sky want to move everyone to sky q and the new Lnb is another wheeze ie when you cancel, you lose kit but keep a duff lnb. The hybrid is fairly cheap now and its worth it knowing you can cancel q and retain viewing.




  • Possible options depending on how you want to negotiate...

    - tell Sky that you'll cancel not only the upgrade but also your current sub unless they allow use of existing FTA equipment via hybrid LNB.

    - insist on a new separate dish and cables for the Q LNB.

    - persuade the installer to put in a hybrid LNB that he probably has in his van

    - buy a hybrid LNB separately


  • Advertisement


  • I had an installer out, he told me they do not supply them ( lucky the LNB was ok ) he advised me to get one on Amazon ( or wherever you shop ) and keep it incase it goes as the FTA won't work. In fairness he couldn't understand the move as it creates more hassle and confrontation for them. As stated here it's not like they are very expensive.




  • Ten Pin wrote: »
    Possible options depending on how you want to negotiate...

    - tell Sky that you'll cancel not only the upgrade but also your current sub unless they allow use of existing FTA equipment via hybrid LNB.

    - insist on a new separate dish and cables for the Q LNB.

    - persuade the installer to put in a hybrid LNB that he probably has in his van

    - buy a hybrid LNB separately

    That would be my preference.

    I would not allow them to interfere with my reception of FTA ....... but of course I won't have to do that as I will not be getting Sky Q ;)




  • That would be my preference.

    I would not allow them to interfere with my reception of FTA ....... but of course I won't have to do that as I will not be getting Sky Q ;)

    I'd imagine most wouldn't want two dishes on their house

    And Sky are no doubt banking on that




  • lawred2 wrote: »
    I'd imagine most wouldn't want two dishes on their house

    And Sky are no doubt banking on that

    I guess there is no accounting for peoples' decisions ........ being prepared to have functions stripped out just to accomodate Sky's preference.

    I would definitely prefer 2 dishes rather than lose functions!




  • I guess there is no accounting for peoples' decisions ........ being prepared to have functions stripped out just to accomodate Sky's preference.

    I would definitely prefer 2 dishes rather than lose functions!

    that's your call and I made no comment on it

    but I would expect that in the main - two dishes wouldn't be a popular choice.. Hence the desire for hybrid lnbs


  • Advertisement


  • thebrush wrote: »
    In fairness he couldn't understand the move as it creates more hassle and confrontation for them.

    Sky want that lnb to be useless if a customer cancels. Its a real scumbag move by them.




  • I also have a question on this, having undergone the Sky Q switch uniformed and now wanting to get back Standard Definiton Freesat in another room, whilst retaining Sky Q over Sky+.

    As the engineer both installed a new dish and a Sky branded hybrid lnb to replace the old system, could I simply replace the current lnb with a non-Sky branded hybrid lnb to keep Sky Q and SD Freesat (my preferred option) or should I keep the current Sky branded hybrid lnb but get a new dish?

    Or do I have to both get a non-Sky branded hybrid lnb and a new dish to get both Sky Q and SD Freesat in the same home on one dish?




  • A sky branded hybrid lnb is what it says a Hybrid you don't need to replace it. A hybrid usally has 6 outputs and all will work for freesat. A q lnb will only have 2 outputs. And you keep the same dish!!

    And a lot of FREESAT is now HD so don't miss out.




  • decor58 wrote: »
    The dish is fine, just change the lnb.


    Ok thanks that agrees with all the research I've put into the issue, don't know why the original engineer said to replace the dish to get back SD Freesat.



    Should be straightforward to communicate this to an independent engineer (I'm sure their used to this kind of issue by now!) and would imagine they would have the LNB replacement done in a few minutes with the right cables in the right slots




  • You have me confused this is what you said "Sky branded hybrid lnb " That lnb will work with your Freesat boxes!! Can you look and see if it has more than 2 outputs. If it only has 2 then it is not a hybrid lnb. I am trying to save you money.




  • swoofer wrote: »
    You have me confused this is what you said "Sky branded hybrid lnb " That lnb will work with your Freesat boxes!! Can you look and see if it has more than 2 outputs. If it only has 2 then it is not a hybrid lnb. I am trying to save you money.


    Sorry, I'm confused here too.


    The Sky branded lnb I currently have, has 6 outputs with 3 cables currently in them (I'm assuming that's the perfectly working Sky Q in the 2 Wideband output ports and then Freesat SD in a legacy port) and Freesat SD is still not working!




  • OK is it possible the connector for FRESSAT SD is not done correctly and there are 3 other outlets.

    When you say freesat SD what box are you using and what channels do you need? Some of the hybrid lnb did not matter which was used for sky q but yours may be clearly marked.

    And did FREESAT work before and I'll go back and read you first post!!

    Ok I had a read back and if Freesat sd worked initially and sky q is still working I would try the other outputs or look at back of freesat box and check cables. I'd be surprised if lnb was duff.




  • Ok man, I'll do a factory reset on my Goodman's Freesat SD Box and try to check it's satellite connectivity (maybe the dish is ok, but needs to be realigned), or maybe the box just needs to be reset following the LNB switch.

    Otherwise, I'll use a ladder (when the weather improves) to move the Freesat SD cable around the different slots




  • Signed up for sky last month and the installer installed a new hybrid lnb as the house previously had a sky dish with it.




  • I'm getting sky installed next week and have a few related questions.

    I currently have two sets of twin cables running to both my front room and kitchen, both linked to freesat TV's.
    Q1 - Do new cables need to be run for Sky Q (extra bandwidth, etc.)?
    Q2 - If I want to swap Sky Q box location in the future, is it just a case of swapping inputs on the hybrid LNB?
    (I bought a hybrid one from amazon incase sky technician doesn't have one)

    Thanks in advance!


  • Advertisement


  • Q1 = no

    Q2 = look closely at the outputs on the lnb and 2 may be coloured differently, if so these are known as wideband and can only be used for Sky Q. However, I seem to recall that with earlier hybrid LNB's the box did the switching so you could use any output. I have a hybrid lying about but cant access until later. I'll look on amazon as well.




  • swoofer wrote: »
    Q1 = no

    Q2 = look closely at the outputs on the lnb and 2 may be coloured differently, if so these are known as wideband and can only be used for Sky Q. However, I seem to recall that with earlier hybrid LNB's the box did the switching so you could use any output. I have a hybrid lying about but cant access until later. I'll look on amazon as well.

    Thanks a million.
    Any recommendation would be appreciated.




  • I'm getting sky installed next week and have a few related questions...
    <snipped>

    May I ask how the install went? I'm in a similar situation, getting Sky Q installed early January, and just this afternoon when I contacted Sky to ensure they would fit a hybrid LNB the CS rep advised that they no longer supply these.




  • I had a look at the spare Hybrid, it has 4outputs in a line and 2 outputs on there own, Its possible the 2 are for sky q but no indicators, Its made by sky.




  • peking97 wrote: »
    May I ask how the install went? I'm in a similar situation, getting Sky Q installed early January, and just this afternoon when I contacted Sky to ensure they would fit a hybrid LNB the CS rep advised that they no longer supply these.

    Sorry for delay in replying, just seeing your question now.
    The install guy had a hybrid LNB with him, so was no issue in the end. Maybe I just got lucky.




  • Ive also spoken to Sky about getting a Hybrid LNB and have been told that they WILL supply one.!
    The chap I spoke to has to contact Arvato (the installers) the day before (when they actually are made aware of the install for the first time) and remind the installer to bring a Hybrid with them.
    Ive pointed out to them that they refused to supply either a dish or box 8 years ago when I signed up so they werent going to be allowed screw up my existing set up ! (i have a toridal dish with 9 sats include sly on it ! )
    Worst case scenario is , as soon as the installer is gone, Ill buy my own hybrid and install it myself
    Have to say though, I thought it was going to be a major issue with them, and it didnt seem to be.
    Having said that, the install hasnt happened yet lol
    mine is due 7th jan




  • Well, got my install done today. I had bought a hybrid lnb but the installer had one himself and had no problem using it. The one I had got from amazon ended up being the wrong type anyway for some reason.

    Only issue now is that I still haven't received my new viewing card so don't yet have netflix or any of the other online services available as of yet. The installer said there's some huge backlog with getting them out and he isn't even getting them himself from Sky.

    Other than that, the guy was fantastic, in and out in about 45 minutes including having to replace the dish. Now just to wait on my viewing card.




  • kmurph wrote: »
    Well, got my install done today. I had bought a hybrid lnb but the installer had one himself and had no problem using it. The one I had got from amazon ended up being the wrong type anyway for some reason.

    Can you post a link to the one you got from Amazon, interested to understand the reason it wasn't suitable.




  • Here you go Cush

    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GS1Z2YP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I think he said it was an older type or something like that. He did have to replace the dish as well, so maybe it was something to do with that.


  • Advertisement


  • kmurph wrote: »
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GS1Z2YP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I think he said it was an older type or something like that. He did have to replace the dish as well, so maybe it was something to do with that.

    Perfectly ok, comes with Sky dish attachment also.

    Did he fit a 4 output hybrid or a 6 output hybrid?


Advertisement