Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schwarzenegger vs Stallone Rivalry

• 06-12-2020 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

What was the story with Schwarzenegger and Stallone in the 1980s did they really hate each other or was that all just PR to boast both their careers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I happen to be reading Arnie's autobiography now, a good read. He puts himself forward in a great light of course, and mentions that they had rivalry and that he was jealous because Stallone was the bigger star initially, and they used to give each other crap in the press but became friends when they started planet Hollywood with each other.

But all that said, throughout the book he gets little barbs in at Stallone that he probably isn't even aware he's doing himself, so it's apparent there is competition there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'd put it more down to a friendly rivalry. Schwarzenegger told a story (on Graham Norton I think) where he regularly smoked cigars with Stallone in his garage. Also they are Eskimo brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Bill Burr has a funny sketch about Arnie, how many life times would you need to go to Austria , learn the language, get famous for body building , become a famous actor , marry into their Royalty and go on to hold public office Im in my third attempt rosetta stone Spanish

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

p to the e wrote: »
    Also they are Eskimo brothers

Which woman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Personally I always took the view it was PR. In some respects they needed each other to feed off it. Not very serious.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Which woman?

Bridgette Nielson

Bridgette Nielson

You are getting mixed up with Dolph Lundgren

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

You are getting mixed up with Dolph Lundgren

Sly dated her after Cobra, Arnie was knocking her off making Red Sonja.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal seem to be two actors that do genuinely hate each other.

I don't think there is any pictures of them together shaking hands.

• Advertisement

I read before that Arnie was a very wealthy man before he ever set foot on a movie set having set up a construction firm. You'd see him and his body builder mates like Frank Columbu and you'd hire them on the spot. Also they were in the right place at the right time as there was a major rebuilding effort after the San Fernando earthquake in '71

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Sly dated her after Cobra, Arnie was knocking her off making Red Sonja.
    That is what started the animosity between them I heard.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal seem to be two actors that do genuinely hate each other.

They took themselves far too serious.

That is what started the animosity between them I heard.

Arnie, Sly and Flava Flav all hate each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Apparently a throw away remark by Sly was the seed of the idea for the predator films - after Rocky 18 or something the studio wanted to milk another one, but Sly was fed up with them and walked out of the meeting saying "Rocky has already fought everybody on the planet, i'd have to fight an alien ffs"

Hmmm, fight an alien you say:cool::cool:

I don't know if there's any truth in it, but sure fúck it, it's a good story anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Demolition man would have been a very different film if it had cast those two.

Demolition man would have been a very different film if it had cast those two.
    That is another rivalry- Stallone and Wesley Snipes.

I saw an interview with an Irish artist who was painting a mural in a Planet Hollywood which featured all the backers.

Sly asked him to put Snipes in the mural too, then he rang him back several days later and told him to paint over Snipes because 'that guy is a goddamn asshole'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That is another rivalry- Stallone and Wesley Snipes.

I saw an interview with an Irish artist who was painting a mural in a Planet Hollywood which featured all the backers.

Sly asked him to put Snipes in the mural too, then he rang him back several days later and told him to paint over Snipes because 'that guy is a goddamn asshole'!

Snipes seems to have bad luck at times. He is as well known for his IRS troubles as his acting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Melodeon

This little scene from Demolition Man leads me to suspect that the 'rivalry' between them was good-natured PR:

Arnie having a dig at Sly in Twins.

Also, if Sly thinks Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot was his worst film he must have completely wiped Oscar from his memory banks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Sly and Arnie were always a step above van damme and seagull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Then there was the video shop scene in Last Action Hero:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There had to be a bit of professional rivalry that was mixed with some affection and humour. Both were significant athletes in the world of muscle and brawn!

I think Arnie is still chasing a Cop Land movie (Maggie & Aftermath) that Stallone starred in and could have got him out of the action scene, which it didn't but certainly had critical acclaim. Cop Land was a good movie and Stallone played a good part in it with not much of the vanity stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    There had to be a bit of professional rivalry that was mixed with some affection and humour. Both were significant athletes in the world of muscle and brawn!

I think Arnie is still chasing a Cop Land movie (Maggie & Aftermath) that Stallone starred in and could have got him out of the action scene, which it didn't but certainly had critical acclaim. Cop Land was a good movie and Stallone played a good part in it with not much of the vanity stuff.

Was a vgood movie ,sly could act a bit

Advertisement