Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rules Question. Lost ball found in hole

Options
  • 06-12-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Player hitting second into a par 4 green, sun's in their eyes and no one sees the shot land, player hits a provisional and starts looking for the original, its not found after 3 minutes so he plays his provisional, but when they get to the pin, the player finds their first ball in the hole. His is this assessed?
    If the player declares it lost and plays provisional, isn't that the ball in play? But also doesn't the rules say the hole is over when the ball is in the hole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Snotty wrote: »
    Player hitting second into a par 4 green, sun's in their eyes and no one sees the shot land, player hits a provisional and starts looking for the original, its not found after 3 minutes so he plays his provisional, but when they get to the pin, the player finds their first ball in the hole. His is this assessed?
    If the player declares it lost and plays provisional, isn't that the ball in play? But also doesn't the rules say the hole is over when the ball is in the hole?

By declaring the ball lost, it doesn't matter where it is. The provisional ball is then the ball in play.
    If he was experienced he would probably would have known to look in the hole. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

exaisle wrote: »
    By declaring the ball lost, it doesn't matter where it is. The provisional ball is then the ball in play.

But doesn't rule 6.5 state that the hole is over when the ball is in the hole, doesn't say someone has to see it go in or time limit, that happened before declaring it lost.
    And it's hypothetical, didn't happen that I know of anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Completely wrong.

There is no such thing as declaring a ball lost. It’s either lost or it’s not. Not much point of a provisional if it’s deemed the ball in play, might aswell play a drop so.

Of course If he didn’t declare it a provisional, then it’s in play.

In this case it makes no difference as once he holes out the hole is over. So he’s fine can move on with a nice eagle under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Regardless of whatever the rules of golf actually are on this, if it were to happen to me, I'm picking up my ball, writing 2 on the card and dancing to the next teebox. Will fistfight anyone trying to stop me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Regardless of whatever the rules of golf actually are on this, if it were to happen to me, I'm picking up my ball, writing 2 on the card and dancing to the next teebox. Will fistfight anyone trying to stop me :D

Not something you’d ever really need to worry about 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not something you’d ever really need to worry about 😂

Yes it is. I've seen it happen twice (neither with my ball unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Not something you’d ever really need to worry about ��

You're right, I always look for my ball in the hole first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

By declaring the ball lost...

8ccdbc6cb16fce1f05a14b83cf32a25a6f34ea65.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OP question answered, here's hoping we get to experience it.
    Thread closed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement