Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aptera cars are back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

discostu1 wrote: »
    I cant seem to see this posted, a lot of caveats, interesting design and the use of the "Solar roof" is intriguing...thoughts of the forum ???

https://www.inceptivemind.com/aptera-launches-1000-miles-solar-electric-car-needs-no-charging/16533/

3 wheelers will never have mass appeal.
    Plus for the money of their top spec model you could buy a dual motor Cybertruck .

• Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A Cd of just 0.13 is mighty impressive, the starting price of $26k a lot less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't like the look of it and can't see a boot.

If solar panels are cost-effective on a regular electric car I'd love to see more of them.

GarIT wrote: »
    If solar panels are cost-effective on a regular electric car I'd love to see more of them.

They are not. They're a gimmick. By all means we should plaster the roofs of our houses and other buildings with dirt cheap standard solar PV panels, but not our cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks cool, but totally impractical. There's a reason cars are car shaped, it's the best mix of practicality, efficiency and ease/cost of manufacturing that anyone has found

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    They are not. They're a gimmick. By all means we should plaster the roofs of our houses and other buildings with dirt cheap standard solar PV panels, but not our cars.

Sono motors seems to disagree, but since they've yet to release a production vehicle, I'm inclined to agree with you.

There might be a point at which PV panels are cheaper or the same price as steel, in which case it'll make sense. Until then, it's just added cost

The one exception I would see is an electric campervan. Having solar panels to power the accessories and give a bit extra power into the HV battery would be useful. But that's more about stopping the camping equipment from eating into your range, not fully charging a vehicle using solar power alone

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Sono did it more out of idealism is the impression I got. We had a thread about it, haven't heard anything from them since they had a rather desperate all or nothing fund raiser late last year. It's a pity as the car had real potential. Was going to be far too expensive though and one of the reasons for that was their using expensive solar panels

And don't get me wrong, if I ever were to buy a camper I would plaster the roof with panels :D

Advertisement