Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

For any lovers of old school cartoons, I'm running a Best Cartoon Ever tournament here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My laptop has decided too break and have to fork for a new one

The touchpad and keyboard on my old one (a Lenovo yoga 300) decided to stop working and after doing everything to fix it including going back to factory settings and uninstalling/reinstalling drives etc it just wouldn't give in. Because its touchscreen it works when I use it in touch mode but its pretty hard to get used too

Picked up this one and hopefully I'll have next week

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-cf2504sa-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10212898-pdt.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Holy crap I just saw Mike Tyson is fighting Roy Jones Jr tonight in an exhibition match and is going to make $10m from it and Jones Jr is going to make $3m.

Not bad going for two 50 somethings fighting in an exhibition match and they say wrestling is fake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Holy crap I just saw Mike Tyson is fighting Roy Jones Jr tonight in an exhibition match and is going to make $10m from it and Jones Jr is going to make $3m.

Not bad going for two 50 somethings fighting in an exhibition match and they say wrestling is fake.

The result might make some call fake.

and speaking of wrestling, the fight was called by Mauro Ranallo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

3 kids in the school where my brother works out with confirmed cases now. 15 kids being tested today, and a LOT of others out with symptoms.

Feels like a ring closing around me now. Feels inevitable :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    3 kids in the school where my brother works out with confirmed cases now. 15 kids being tested today, and a LOT of others out with symptoms.

I felt like that the other week the other 4 people in my house got it and 4 tests later I somehow didn’t get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Lord TSC wrote: »

It gets very real when it is on your doorstep. My local GAA club at home was one of the many high profile cases that partied all week and raised countless +cases.

My elderly folks properly locked down with fear. The numbers are small enough that people aren't encountering it day to day. It truly is invisible.

It's beginning to feel a lot like......

Die_hard.jpg

Time to change the thread title maybe? It’s been 23 months now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's beginning to feel a lot like......

Die_hard.jpg
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Time to change the thread title maybe? It’s been 23 months now

How about

Yippee Ki Yay

th?id=OIP.OBaWSyPjFYdlJorgdGAyfwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

This year was pretty much January, February, Maaaaaarrrrrrrch, December

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How about

Yippee Ki Yay

th?id=OIP.OBaWSyPjFYdlJorgdGAyfwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=176

Good idea. I’ll ask the office.

Asked and granted :P

I see there is now an Amazon warehouse in Dublin so are we going to get an Amazon.ie from the 1st of January with Bexit kicking in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I see there is now an Amazon warehouse in Dublin so are we going to get an Amazon.ie from the 1st of January with Bexit kicking in?

We can but dream. They've had a warehouse in the North for a long while now as well

• Advertisement

Bob Dylan sold the rights his whole catalogue of songs for a couple of hundred million to Universal.

Bob Dylan sold the rights his whole catalogue of songs for a couple of hundred million to Universal.

Nice retirement money for him not that he needs it

Buzzing for the All Ireland hurling final this weekend, god if Waterford can win it ill be drunk a lot over christmas (don't worry ill have my substantial meal :p:p). We are going to need the game of our lives this Limerick team is quite outstanding

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

th?id=OIP.huM35yrUMK7X4AXGgoJbggHaEC&pid=Api&P=0&w=275&h=151

Happy Christmas Liz and to all on PW Boards.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/gamingcomp

Virgin Media is giving away a PlayStation 5 along with an extra controller and a €350 online game store voucher

• Advertisement

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
    Let your heart be light
    As from now on, a vaccine is in sight
    So have yourself a merry little Christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
    Let your heart be light
    As from now on, a vaccine is in sight
    So have yourself a merry little Christmas

Here here.

Happy Christmas Liz. Hopefully Christmas 2021 will be back to normal.

Happy Christmas all

Tis very different than we all imagined but look lets hope its only a once off and 2021 will see the return of the 'real christmas'

Happy Christmas to you all.

Happy New Year

Hope 2021 is a good one for everyone

Brand new Ultimate Sporting Venues Tournament is open for nominations. Click here to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Brand new Ultimate Sporting Venues Tournament is open for nominations. Click here to check it out.

Youre some man for the tournies.

While Im here, its January 2021. Why not start the year on the front foot with something new, exciting and mysterious.

The forum games presents its first game of the year and its TERMINATOR themed.

Ever you watched Terminator or T2 - Judgment Day and thought how cool would it be to relive the moments experienced by John Connor as he is stalked by a cyborg killing machine from the future ? Well now is your chance to try it out!

This will be a fairly simple game to play, nothing complex and hopefully ideal for new comers who want to finally find out what all this Werewolf business is all about.

Game begins Sunday 24th 2020. Sign ups are now open

TERMINATOR WEREWOLF

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Youre some man for the tournies.

Mac the Tournie King ;)

The USA has officially gone mad, capital hill under attack.

Meanwhile here isn't much better esp with our rolling lockdowns and 100,000s out of work

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The USA has officially gone mad, capital hill under attack.

Meanwhile here isn't much better esp with our rolling lockdowns and 100,000s out of work

Here is a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Here is a lot better.

Here is amusing at the very least. I'm all for a pint but I see people actually believing the government will open the pubs for Paddy festivities in March.

With the brainpower of some of those attacking the Capitol, I'm surprised they didn't turn up at NXT at the Capitol Wrestling Centre

Here is amusing at the very least. I'm all for a pint but I see people actually believing the government will open the pubs for Paddy festivities in March.

Maybe March 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

C’mon wrestling fans let’s get behind our boys!!!!

U!S!A! U!S!A! U!S!A!

:D

It really has turned into a true joke of a country.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    C’mon wrestling fans let’s get behind our boys!!!!

U!S!A! U!S!A! U!S!A!

:D

It really has turned into a true joke of a country.

This is the man to take down those protesters

Being honest, these new restrictions are really destroying my head.

It doesn't help having a brother who is a teacher, who (despite how bad it's getting) is being told he has to go back in, to classrooms with germ-infested teenagers. Plus Brexit is just a real heavy blow to my business. Not a killer but a game changer that's going to require a whole lot of shuffling things round to fix the holes it's put in things.

But....up till now, I felt the end has always been just a little up the road. Ok, it sucked not having (for example) a holiday to look forward to last year, but it was only one year, and we'd have the summer of 2021 back.

Now, the whispers are we won't be having much of a summer either, because the vaccinations are going to be so slow. The new strain, the way we were totally unprepared for the very obvious flu season. And with Xmas gone, it's a little bit of a struggle to identify something to actually look forward to. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I really do feel these restrictions are the worst I’ve felt I just lost my job so days filled with applying for jobs and boredom really hitting me hard. Thankfully lucky enough to have people in my house but still just hits hard.

Then add that to all the craziness in the America just feels no rainbow at the end yet to look forward too with how slow the vaccines and the world ready to burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'm lucky work wise in that I'm able to work from home and there's been no major impact on my job. But in terms of things to look forward to I agree it's tough the longer it goes on. The thought of a confirmed holiday of some kind this year would help but there's very little guarantee on that. Even a night out with friends seems a way off.

• Advertisement

For me, I feel the government are in a tight spot, trying to please everyone, keep the economy ticking over and keeping people safe from the virus.

For me a huge mistake was not banning domestic air travel when we were at single digit cases. Keep commercial trade open and have some sort of testing hub at the ports and airports for the employees relating to essential shipments for goods that are essential.

Cases could be controlled and domestic businesses would have reopened safely. Schools could have reopened safely.

Right now sadly its only going to get worse. 7k cases per day now and rising suggests to me that the horses are well out of the barn and this lockdown occurred far too late. Everyone is going to suffer more long term.

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm lucky work wise in that I'm able to work from home and there's been no major impact on my job. But in terms of things to look forward to I agree it's tough the longer it goes on. The thought of a confirmed holiday of some kind this year would help but there's very little guarantee on that. Even a night out with friends seems a way off.

Im one of the lucky ones, my working arrangements can be done from home and I see a lot more of my loved ones as a result. It suits me much better. But I realize Im one of the few.

My daughters education concerns me with school closures. She needs to go to school but despite what the government say, its not safe and IMO, it never was. We just had to take the risk for her education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When there is 5, 6, 7 thousands cases a day drastic steps need to be taken.

We had loads returning for Christmas from the UK and all other places with no isolating, travel should be essential only with strict restrictions at airports, ferry ports and the NI border

It's far more rampant now, it's everywhere, take care stay safe everyone

We had loads returning for Christmas from the UK and all other places with no isolating, travel should be essential only with strict restrictions at airports, ferry ports and the NI border

It's far more rampant now, it's everywhere, take care stay safe everyone

i dont blame some people for coming home to a point. Some people have been separated from loved ones for 9 months. However, what if these people brought Covid to their loved ones as a result of travelling. Its just not worth it.

I do blame the government for not shutting them down and taking the option of travel out of peoples hands.

I live away from my folks and I miss them, but its best to stay away no matter how much I wanna see them.

I feel for anyone with family in hospitals and nursing homes, they need to up speed on the vaccines roll out and stop cancelling other serious medical exams and operations, they had 9 months to prepare knowing flu season is in winter and we are short medical staff and ICU beds

• Advertisement

I feel for anyone with family in hospitals and nursing homes, they need to up speed on the vaccines roll out and stop cancelling other serious medical exams and operations, they had 9 months to prepare knowing flu season is in winter and we are short medical staff and ICU beds

Very true and for this reason we may be in a longer lockdown compared to the rest of Europe

What have the HSE been doing since lockdown 1 ?

Total ****show and let's hope when this is finally over massive questions will be asked to the leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very true and for this reason we may be in a longer lockdown compared to the rest of Europe

What have the HSE been doing since lockdown 1 ?

Total ****show and let's hope when this is finally over massive questions will be asked to the leaders

Pfft you've more chance of winning the lotto than questions being asked of our useless leaders. They haven't a notion what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I see that the "speed up the vaccine" narrative has penetrated here as well.

How many people can you vaccinate with 40,000 doses?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I see that the "speed up the vaccine" narrative has penetrated here as well.

How many people can you vaccinate with 40,000 doses?

4.9 million people in Ireland, 40,000 doses (with more on the way), 2 jabs per person altogether. Anyone good with maths able to work it out? Which is a serious question I'm asking by the way :pac:

I saw an graphic somewhere else, with how many have had the jab already, number definitely somehere up above 10,000, with a target of 35,000 to be vaccinated by today.

Journal.ie link with the numbers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-vaccine-numbers-5318892-Jan2021/

Don't forget there are ones that don't want it. Seems to be a lot in Northern Ireland refusing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement