Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Quarters' a failure or the future?

• 04-12-2020 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan of the waterbreak and I think that four quarters should be kept post Covid. Its good for the players to have a break and it allows the better coaches to make changes and reset the team even though its technically not supposed to be a coaching moment. It seems to suit Limerick anyway. Its good for the fans as it allows them to nip out to the ablutions or get a drink, have a quick chat ect.Its in so many sports in the States like Lacrosse, Basketball ect. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not a fan. As a player, I hate it. As a fan, I hate it. You're just getting into the game and then theres a break. Very frustrating. I'd scrap it asap but understand the need for it atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Any possibility of increased time?

Four quarters of 20 mins. Proper break between each quarter. Say maybe 3 minutes. No confusion with clocks running during each break etc.

Fitness levels are gone so high don’t think that would be an issue.

Maybe too long and dragged out? Especially a one sided game

Not saying I’m for it but just throwing it out there. Personally I’d probably just go back to normal set up of 35 mins per half. I would definitely look into making the timing more transparent to spectators. Taking time away from ref is really needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Rolo2010

BloodyBill wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the waterbreak and I think that four quarters should be kept post Covid. Its good for the players to have a break and it allows the better coaches to make changes and reset the team even though its technically not supposed to be a coaching moment. It seems to suit Limerick anyway. Its good for the fans as it allows them to nip out to the ablutions or get a drink, have a quick chat ect.Its in so many sports in the States like Lacrosse, Basketball ect. What do you guys think?

Don't agree with any of this. This isn't American football. It's 35 minutes. Any player who is fit can handle that. Not a chance water breaks will be kept post-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

No need for a water break in the middle of December. Also the continuity of the game is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭threeball

The coaches have enough time to make an impact in the run up to the game and half time. The Players should be left to implement that plan or change it on the hoof if its not working. I don't want to see us in a situation where coaching is changing the direction of games at breaks and momentum that a team works hard to build is taken away at a refs whim.

We've seen huge swings this year where a team has worked their way into a game, run up 3 or 4pts on the trot only for the ref to blow just as they're building up a head of steam. The opoosition coach has identified where his team are been got at and shuts it down and the other team has to figure out another way whilst their hand has already been shown. For me its completely wrong and takes more away from the fluidity of the game than a video review or other such rule changes ever would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

bocaman wrote: »
    No need for a water break in the middle of December. Also the continuity of the game is broken.

You actually need hydration no matter what month of the year it is. I think breaking up the continuity of the game isn't a bad thing. It means teams have to reset and go again. If they are good enough they can quickly find their groove.
    There is a welfare issue. The players are amateurs and they arent as fit as pros. Never will be. The quarters could mean the game goes 4 periods of 20mins with 3 min breaks. Theres a valid argument to be made for it.
    Most of the players ...8 out of the 10 I spoke to said they'd like to keep the water breaks. I think most coaches would aswell. What is there to be afraid of with quarters? It actually allows an ad break for TV.. allows fans a break and players a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Our u15/16 team loved them this year. As a manager I think they are a great thing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

What I found very strange this year was that the quarters seemed to be not evenly spread out. Sometimes the first one was after 15 minutes, other times after 25. Sometimes the ref even forgot about them altogether.

arctictree wrote: »
    What I found very strange this year was that the quarters seemed to be not evenly spread out. Sometimes the first one was after 15 minutes, other times after 25. Sometimes the ref even forgot about them altogether.

We had one that happened in the 22nd minute of an u16 final. Both sides screaming at the ref about the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is a silly rule, and whatever tenuous reason there might be for having one during the Covid panic, there is no reason why 30 fit people need a break every 15 minutes.

It obviously does break momentum which is not fair to the team on top at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What to managers and players think? Haven't heard much from them on the subject, doesnt bother me either way tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick and there bloody white board

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Limerick and there bloody white board

Wasn't seen against Galway. Wonder were they reminded that it isn't meant to be a coaching break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I think if a player wants a drink there's enough stoppages in the game or they can swap positions for the 10-20 seconds it takes to get a drink. When a free is given, there is at least a minute there to get a drink of water.
    I'd scrap it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Deiselurker

No need for these water/coaching breaks at all. It breaks up the game too much. Hope they are ended after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭RamonD3

Have I the wrong end of the stick about this, I thought the break wasn't about player fitness, but about players having designated water bottles because of covid?

RamonD3 wrote: »
    Have I the wrong end of the stick about this, I thought the break wasn't about player fitness, but about players having designated water bottles because of covid?

That's exactly it. Some seem to have deliberately gotten the wrong end of the stick.

You actually perspire more during cold weather but just don't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Wasn't seen against Galway. Wonder were they reminded that it isn't meant to be a coaching break.

Can’t understand the use of a ‘white board’...?

Dots and lines and scribbles of text....is it deemed a better way to communicate stats to the players...whatever about half using it at half time in a dressing room but producing it at a 1 to 2 min water brake is laughable....

In any case getting back to the topic......the ‘sos uisce’ should be de-commissioned once cv-19 crisis is over....!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

RamonD3 wrote: »

So getting them into a huddle when they are all breathing like steam engines is safer then ;)

Not slagging you, just one of the many absurdities this year has thrown up, but nearly certain it has been talked about as something that will continue.

Would surely be no more complex to have individualised water bottles than hurls, helmets, gloves etc?

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

Dots and lines and scribbles of text....is it deemed a better way to communicate stats to the players...whatever about half using it at half time in a dressing room but producing it at a 1 to 2 min water brake is laughable....

In any case getting back to the topic......the ‘sos uisce’ should be de-commissioned once cv-19 crisis is over....!

I'm only guessing but I'd imagine with the 60/90 second break it's easier to have the few key messages written down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Well the team that seems to use the water breaks the best is Limerick . The white board is a visual aid and its easy to cast an eye on it. Some teams don't have a clue how to use the water break. The management stroll down and the players flop around. Its a great opportunity to get important messages on, assess niggles and just reset. Look how Dublin use it or again basketball teams. There's alot of slow learners out there..good article in one of the papers today highlighting how amateur some team managements are during the water break in comparison to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

If sure this is being blown out of all proportion!

There were always huge swings in games and momentum shifts, teams going 10 mins without a score. Now there is a waterbreak it is just easier to divide the time and identify it.

Its lazy commentary.

carq wrote: »
    If sure this is being blown out of all proportion!

There were always huge swings in games and momentum shifts, teams going 10 mins without a score. Now there is a waterbreak it is just easier to divide the time and identify it.

Its lazy commentary.

Back when I was playing at home if we were under the kosher and momentum had totally swung a messsabeused to be sent in for someone 'to go down'. There would be a backs meeting and a forwards meeting on the pitch where a few key messages and words of encouragement would be issued.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Well the team that seems to use the water breaks the best is Limerick . The white board is a visual aid and its easy to cast an eye on it. Some teams don't have a clue how to use the water break. The management stroll down and the players flop around. Its a great opportunity to get important messages on, assess niggles and just reset. Look how Dublin use it or again basketball teams. There's alot of slow learners out there..good article in one of the papers today highlighting how amateur some team managements are during the water break in comparison to Dublin.

Innovative and using what is available to them. Any team not doing so is behind the curve and handing a marginal gain to their opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Innovative and using what is available to them. Any team not doing so is behind the curve and handing a marginal gain to their opposition.

So white board sales and non-permanent marker sales will soar this Christmas...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I’m opposed to it. If a manager can’t make a tactical switch during the match by giving instructions from the sideline then it’s a poor reflection on them.

As a supporter it will only give the usual suspects an excuse to head for the shop or bar and clamber over you twice per half.

As a TV viewer it’s more ads and pundits saying stuff for the sake of it. I’ve enough of that at half time.

Never as a (poor) player or a supporter have i ever heard anyone requesting 4 quarters before this year. As regards fitness, most players fade over 70 mins, water break or no water break.

So white board sales and non-permanent marker sales will soar this Christmas...!

Not talking about the above but anyone not taking advantage of the water break is behind the curve and is missing a trick.

KevRossi wrote: »

As a TV viewer it’s more ads and pundits saying stuff for the sake of it. I’ve enough of that at half time.

When and where has there been additional ads this year during the water break?

There hasn't been any. Stop making up stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭KevRossi

When and where has there been additional ads this year during the water break?

There hasn't been any. Stop making up stuff.

If they are introducing it full time and go for a scheduled 3 Minute break I would expect the TV channels will take advantage and use it to show ads.

• Advertisement

KevRossi wrote: »
    If they are introducing it full time and go for a scheduled 3 Minute break I would expect the TV channels will take advantage and use it to show ads.

Where has it been mentioned that there are plans to increase to three minutes?

Advertisement