Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas of insufficient supply

Options
  • 03-12-2020 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

So much of the discussions on the rental market seems to concentrate on Dublin.

Outside of Dublin, what kind of properties are people finding difficult to find a rental? Maybe its a 1 bed apartment in Tralee or a 3 bed bungalow in rural Carlow that accepts pets. Is there undersupply in areas of the country where REITs are not going to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Can only speak from my own perspective, looking in Galway area, not in the city but not more that 30km from it. Looking for 3 or 4 bad and not much has come up in the last week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

DubCount wrote: »
    Is there undersupply in areas of the country where REITs are not going to go?

areas which need the "mom and pop" LL to borrow a phrase from the states.

TBH with the over regulation and LL demonisation I think the type of person likely to provide this is no longer going to bother. Essentially the risk of the tenant having all the cards is enough to make ppl think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

rightmove wrote: »
    areas which need the "mom and pop" LL to borrow a phrase from the states.

TBH with the over regulation and LL demonisation I think the type of person likely to provide this is no longer going to bother. Essentially the risk of the tenant having all the cards is enough to make ppl think twice.

100% agree. However, is this really impacting on supply in areas outside the major cities? Are enough Mom & Pop LLs hanging around to fill the demand or are people looking to rent in rural areas or small towns and finding there is nowhere available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

What we do not need is more of these
    Check video from 16minutes onwards

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/prime-time/SI0000000825?epguid=IH000383044

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

brisan wrote: »

Does anyone on this thread will see this a business opportunity to provide better accommodation than in this programme at reasonable rents. Because if you provide a competitive alternative people will move to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭DubCount

brisan wrote: »

There are any number of examples of what we dont need. The question is what we do need.

This thread has been live for 24 hours, and so far the only area highlighted as undersupplied is 3/4 bed houses surrounding Galway city.

It doesnt look like there is hugh demands for rural rentals that are not being met. My fear was that policies to replace private LLs in Dublin/Cork with REITs would cause undersupply in areas where the REITs dont/wont play. I does not seem to be the case though. At least not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know a few people who were struggling to find rentals away from the city. But these people I would consider particularly unreasonable in terms of what they were hoping to get. So I couldn't say they are representative of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There are any number of examples of what we dont need. The question is what we do need.

This thread has been live for 24 hours, and so far the only area highlighted as undersupplied is 3/4 bed houses surrounding Galway city.

It doesnt look like there is hugh demands for rural rentals that are not being met. My fear was that policies to replace private LLs in Dublin/Cork with REITs would cause undersupply in areas where the REITs dont/wont play. I does not seem to be the case though. At least not yet.

Most people wont be looking until this covid business is over.
    Better asking the question then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So much of the discussions on the rental market seems to concentrate on Dublin.

Outside of Dublin, what kind of properties are people finding difficult to find a rental? Maybe its a 1 bed apartment in Tralee or a 3 bed bungalow in rural Carlow that accepts pets. Is there undersupply in areas of the country where REITs are not going to go?

The 1st thing we should do is ensure that any new rental properties are being built in towns/villages. We've destroyed enough of our countryside with 1 off development and building outside of towns/villages should be next to impossible for now on.

Most of our rural towns/villages have loads of empty homes. These should be grant aided to get up to current standards or demolished and replaced with new homes. Get people to live in our rural towns/villages and then they'll come back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Del2005 wrote: »
    The 1st thing we should do is ensure that any new rental properties are being built in towns/villages. We've destroyed enough of our countryside with 1 off development and building outside of towns/villages should be next to impossible for now on.

Most of our rural towns/villages have loads of empty homes. These should be grant aided to get up to current standards or demolished and replaced with new homes. Get people to live in our rural towns/villages and then they'll come back to life.

Sounds like a good way to kill off the rural life altogether.

• Advertisement
Advertisement