Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is anyone using the hand sanitizer anymore?

• 03-12-2020 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

The last few days as I boringly use the hand sanitizer in any shop, I noticed this super cool breed of person who nonchalantly strides past the dispenser. I keep thinking, if only I could be as cool as them, as everyone around these super cool people gazes admiringly as they pick up stuff and put it back down again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes and yes I've noticed the same but they will have a mask on. Maybe they use santiser in the car, I have a bottle of gel myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think on occasion, we've all forgot to do it entering a shop, it's often not so in your face at the door where other shops like tesco, you can't miss it but I've been in plenty of petrol stations where I only saw it on the way out, I keep a bottle in my pocket anyway so use it after touching petrol pump and before getting back into car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The last few days as I boringly use the hand sanitizer in any shop, I noticed this super cool breed of person who nonchalantly strides past the dispenser. I keep thinking, if only I could be as cool as them, as everyone around these super cool people gazes admiringly as they pick up stuff and put it back down again.

I sometimes use the hand sanitizer in my car before entering the shop as there is sometimes a queue for hand sanitizer. Does that make me super cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

lertsnim wrote: »
    I sometimes use the hand sanitizer in my car before entering the shop as there is sometimes a queue for hand sanitizer. Does that make me super cool?

I think it is the seen to be using hand sanitizer and playing your part is the key. The people who don’t use hand sanitizer on the way into public buildings may well have sterile hands but it comes across as F@$% everybody else to people who do use the hand sanitizer and are trying to play their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I dont.

I bet all yee hand sanitizer (uncool people) users never touch your face covering either?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

BBM77 wrote: »
    I think it is the seen to be using hand sanitizer and playing your part is the key. The people who don’t use hand sanitizer on the way into public buildings may well have sterile hands but it comes across as F@$% everybody else to people who do use the hand sanitizer and are trying to play their part.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

lertsnim wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Ah no, its not. One word replies that don’t make a point are nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Eczema sufferer here, anytime I use public hand sanitizer I end up with blisters so I use my own. God help anyone who criticizes me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Had to go into Dungarvan today. Of the 8 times I used or tried to use the hand sanitizer provided 4 were empty, 2 of those were in Dunnes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BBM77 wrote: »

Most of the time I try a public hand sanitizer it
    doesn't dispense enough or is empty. So while my hands were clean before hand I now have a hand full of germs and viruses from everyone else who tried it before.

I know that my hands are clean leaving my home who knows what state people who use the dispenser in the shop are like, the majority can't use a mask correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If I come out of one shop and sanitise on the way out I do not re-do it 30 seconds later as I go into another shop. Otherwise though I use the stuff going in.

You get to be an expert on the stuff - the tacky gloopy stuff, the one like water that instantly dribbles away between your fingers if you don't get exact placement, the stuff that stinks so strongly it would make your eyes water, and - in fairness, mostly - reasonable stuff that feels as though it does the job.

edit - oh yes, and generally in corner shops where the young fella is minding the place, occasionally liquid soap, yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I noticed that lidl have got a new mix in, less watery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Just back from shopping, it would be great if retailers exposed labels, especially on clothing, to show prices and sizes. I can keep my filthy hands to myself that way. Had 2 coffees in 2 separate shops also and I could not add milk, sugar or a lid myself, it was all done for me.... by someone not wearing gloves ��. Not sure if that’s commonplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I do still use it and I suspect I know what may be happening tbh. If I'm in town and nipping in and out of shops, it's pure annoying and unnecessary house the sanitiser every single time. So it's a case of first shop or before/after using ATM sanitiser it is, some might get skipped as only done it 5 mins ago and barely touched anything.

So my assumption now is rather than dirty/lazy fcuker, that they have prob been sanitising so much it's a bit ott and ok to skip the odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I never use the shop provided one... I do use my own. The variation between shops is the issue... Some smell disgusting (not of alcohol, added scents etc..), some are gloopy and sticky etc...

I have a small spray bottle of liquid sanatiser which I use before and after shops.

Edit: one of the worst things about Covid is how it has made people so quick to judge everyone else. Hopefully this new high horse attitude will leave with the virus.

I tend to look for one more on the way out of a shop after touching stuff than I do on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭spaceCreated

I do still use it and I suspect I know what may be happening tbh. If I'm in town and nipping in and out of shops, it's pure annoying and unnecessary house the sanitiser every single time. So it's a case of first shop or before/after using ATM sanitiser it is, some might get skipped as only done it 5 mins ago and barely touched anything.

So my assumption now is rather than dirty/lazy fcuker, that they have prob been sanitising so much it's a bit ott and ok to skip the odd one.

Oh, I get that, but I'm on about places like tesco ardkeen and supervalu by the rsc.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I never use the shop provided one... I do use my own. The variation between shops is the issue... Some smell disgusting (not of alcohol, added scents etc..), some are gloopy and sticky etc...

I have a small spray bottle of liquid sanatiser which I use before and after shops.

Edit: one of the worst things about Covid is how it has made people so quick to judge everyone else. Hopefully this new high horse attitude will leave with the virus.

You've a point with gel, some of the stuff is a disaster and I generally just avoid the shops who throw out that kind of rubbish.

Its not high horse its just a general health and safety point of view with a pandemic being spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

mloc123 wrote: »

Agree 100%. Some people clearly get off on judging though.

Agree 100%. Some people clearly get off on judging though.

Oh definitely, I've my alarm set for 6am every morning and as soon as goes off I leap like a gazelle from my bed and rush out the door, bomb down the road in my car to Supervalu where I hover around the entrance and give dirty looks to anyone who doesnt use the hand santizer. After lunch I make my way to Tesco Ardkeen and do the same and I can then rest peacefully at night.

The important thing to remember though that the real victims are the people who dont apply hand sanitizer at all and feel judged for being unable to follow some basic health guidelines to stop the spread of a pandemic.

Its not a sense of exasperation or confusion that made me start this thread, no its the ability to "get off on judging", you're such an intuitive person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Is there really any need for this thread? Especially considering there's already one on the coronavirus.

Is there really any need for this thread? Especially considering there's already one on the coronavirus.

Waterford is special :P

Sorry, I was unaware that we weren't allowed discuss things from a local perspective. You should note this if you ever apply to being a boards mod, I think you'd do a standup job.

Waterford is special :P

D#mn right :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Only the super cool spell sanitiser the American way

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

Watch out for wood alcohol Methanol
    It's dangerous and can be asorbed in skin it will also make you blind

Wash your hands regually with soap and water. Don't touch your face. There's 7% chance of catching it of surfaces. If you don't touch your face it will go to 0 a lot of study's says bars are main source then your home if some ones infected
    Any where indoors
    In indoor spaces air has to come in then be extracted to outdoors
    If there's a fan and no where for air to go
    Covid will just spread all around the room leave doors and windows open. If you have to take a flight wear a face shield that goes below your chin and all the way to ears
    And also n95 mask
    If you have kn95 mask make sure the elastic goes around your head
    Most are only around your ears and don't provide proper seal
    Don't have the air vent blowing down on you
    As you want air going up
    Bathroom are also bad when you flush covid goes every where

They say take vitamin d
    If you hear some one coughing move away from them this will also help with colds and flu

Drewgerger wrote: »

Wash your hands regually with soap and water. Don't touch your face. There's 7% chance of catching it of surfaces. If you don't touch your face it will go to 0 a lot of study's says bars are main source then your home if some ones infected
    Any where indoors
    Covid will just spread all around the room leave doors and windows open. If you have to take a flight wear a face shield that goes below your chin and all the way to ears
    And also n95 mask
    As you want air going up

They say take vitamin d
    If you hear some one coughing move away from them this will also help with colds and flu

I know its Waterford but even we don't drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Lots of shops and pubs dont even use proper alcohol based sanitizer. Its cheap anti bacterial rubbish which is just cost cutting and mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Any where indoors
    And also n95 mask
    As you want air going up

They say take vitamin d

Don't know about that flush bathroom recommendation, flush the toilet after you would be my advice. A lot of the odder stuff with covid transmission turned out to be misleading, statistically so tiny, not worth talking about. Worrying about poisonous hand sanitizer is also tiny chance stuff that distracts dopes from cleaning their hands.
    Ventilation is important, wash hands, wear mask, limit your contacts still best advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Any where indoors
    And also n95 mask
    As you want air going up

They say take vitamin d

Where have I heard THAT before?

Advertisement