Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonder Woman 1984

Options

Comments

I didn't get a I must see vibe from that trailer.

I actually preferred the trailer that has 80s music in it..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BDI wrote: »
    June 2020. Ah

When now June 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still first weekend of October I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Looks like this will be landing on HBO Max after all, on Christmas Day no less.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-1984-heading-to-hbo-max-theaters-dec-25

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Looks like this will be landing on HBO Max after all, on Christmas Day no less.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-1984-heading-to-hbo-max-theaters-dec-25
    I wonder where it'll end up over here then? There doesn't seem to be a solid distributor for HBO Max content yet - Sky had "Brave New World" but that's about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ixoy wrote: »
    I wonder where it'll end up over here then? There doesn't seem to be a solid distributor for HBO Max content yet - Sky had "Brave New World" but that's about it I think.

I think they signed a deal with Amazon.

This is really sad news and doesn't give a lot of hope to the cinema industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yikes. This feels at first blush like a huge nail in the coffin of cinemas. They were already at the mercy of blockbusters anyway, so if they're now pulling out; what how is left?

Straight to Sky Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brave New World was a NBC show and Comcast own NBC & Sky so that was an easy for them to make it work in Europe.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Straight to Sky Store?

Feck. Would rather they delay until Summer '21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Hope to god they sort an international streaming distributor soon. They've set Dec 16th as the theatre release date outside US and I don't know if I can see ours opening again before 2021. WB shooting themselves in the foot and leaving themselves open to rife pirating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope this gets released into the Cinemas in December because that is where I want ho see this. That is where it is meant to be seen as a blockbuster Cinema movie not some straight to stream or T.V B movie flop.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Are cinemas open if we go to level 3, or just level 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I'm dying to see this, but have no intention of venturing into a cinema this side of a vaccine, so hope they sort out an international distributor (or even an international plan beyond "cinemas") so I can see this some time around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

titan18 wrote: »
    Are cinemas open if we go to level 3, or just level 2?

There's no specific mention of cinemas in any of the levels (beyond where they're mentioned as venues for "organised indoor gatherings" which doesn't include regular movie screenings). However I reckon cinemas would be classified as 'cultural attractions' which means they would not reopen until Level 2.

Given the current trajectory of case numbers, I think it's safe to say that cinemas will not be reopening before the new year. And that's going to be true of most European countries.

WB are insanely stupid if they don't have a day-and-date digital release strategy figured out for the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will also be released in cinemas in America on Christmas day.

It is due to open in cinema worldwide on the 16th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it would be ironic if the last summer blockbuster was called Endgame :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

DeWitt wrote: »
    Hope to god they sort an international streaming distributor soon. They've set Dec 16th as the theatre release date outside US and I don't know if I can see ours opening again before 2021. WB shooting themselves in the foot and leaving themselves open to rife pirating.

They definitely will, this is gonna end up the most pirated film of the year as is. It'll increase if they don't have it released in all regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Any word on if it's streaming here by Christmas legally?

Nothing announced yet, but as I said before, it would be completely insane for them to release it for streaming in the US and not at least even offer a digital purchase method elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Any word on if it's streaming here by Christmas legally?

I'd be surprised if Sky didnt have it added to the Cinema section in the Sky Store. Either that or on the Google store maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so definitely no cinema release?

Skerries wrote: »
    so definitely no cinema release?

Did you not see the post by JP Liz V1 above?

I'd be surprised if Sky didnt have it added to the Cinema section in the Sky Store. Either that or on the Google store maybe?

Cancelled sky last month. I was hoping Amazon might have it. I wouldnt mind paying 19.99 for it and being able to watch it few times.. hbo max will have it xmas day in hdr.. 4k i might see whats involved there vpn wise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

were they worried that holding back the movie to 2021 would undermine the villain Trump allegory?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The cinema release is very likely to be a flop though, realistically. Many areas of the UK are in a tier where cinemas can't open. And even where they are open in Ireland and UK, they can't legally fill the cinema due to having to leave empty seats between each group. And that's if even enough people are willing to go to a cinema, which is something a lot of people won't do. Vaccination will be underway for over a week in the UK when this opens. It will be starting a few weeks after in the EU, and will be underway soon in the US. By late spring most cinemas will probably be able to open at or near full capacity. I really wish they'd have held off for a few more months and made this a massive celebratory release in spring.

They're probably regretting it a bit with the vaccine news, but at the same time there's obviously some cash flow reason why they're going straight to HBO Max. Best thing they could do would be to sign a big international streaming deal with Netflix or Amazon to recoup some of the rest of the budget too.

The real criminal thing is that it was 100% ready and scheduled to release over a year ago, but they delayed it for a bit of extra summer box office.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    They're probably regretting it a bit with the vaccine news, but at the same time there's obviously some cash flow reason why they're going straight to HBO Max. Best thing they could do would be to sign a big international streaming deal with Netflix or Amazon to recoup some of the rest of the budget too.

The real criminal thing is that it was 100% ready and scheduled to release over a year ago, but they delayed it for a bit of extra summer box office.

id imagine HBO will get a bounce like never before with new signups.. warners might make money from it..

Advertisement