Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I don't know if that is the intent by boards.ie but Ireland and the UK and the rest of the Western World are inextricably linked by this subject and theory (ie Irish youth are referred to England for assessments/services) and what happens here may affect there and vice versa (ie puberty blockers being reclassified in UK, self-id legislation here) so the thread shouldnt IMO be seen as limiting it to to events only occurring in Ireland.
    I do find it sort of copping out that the bullet pointed list of rules don't include a warning on finger pointing by anyone posting - this should be applied across all threads IMO as it devalues the accusation of -ist and -phobia to the point of uselessness (and therefore makes it harder to recognise and call out actual -ist's and -phobia's) and stokes up nothing 'circular' posts which appears to be the main reason in closing the long running thread in the first place.

The forum rules and the rules outlined in the OP cover this. I would be all day listing out specific issues by name - what is there will cover all the issues the mods saw in previous threads around this topic.

Also worth noting that this is an Irish website - so asking about the opinions of the topic in Ireland does not preclude us from looking at other countries to shape our opinions. Indeed, someone has done just that in the first few posts. If the wording is a bit clunky then apologies for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Can I assume that rules will be fairly applied and if a word is felt to be offensive and a poster gleefully denies polite requests to stop - they will be warned ?
    And will you be happy for that to apply to both sides of the debate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

And will you be happy for that to apply to both sides of the debate?

Absolutely - I have never used a transgender slur and have zero intention of doing so.

The same cannot be said of the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You actually just answered my question - I vehemently object to the word “cis” as it demeans women in the sense one posters uses it, they have been asked to stop and refuse.

I think it's time to accept that nobody is going to fall for this debating trick of claiming an inoffensive word is offensive and just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You actually just answered my question - I vehemently object to the word “cis” as it demeans women in the sense one posters uses it, they have been asked to stop and refuse.

Repeatedly calling people terfs as well ,

Guarantee called the person a slur and there would be bans handed out,let's all be afraid of the twitter dwellers or is it Mumsnet or both

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Repeatedly calling people terfs as well ,

Guarantee called the person a slur and there would be bans handed out,let's all be afraid of the twitter dwellers or is it Mumsnet or both
    Setting aside that the term "terf" was coined by a self described "trans exclusionary radical feminist", I find your objections just a little hollow when there's multiple instances of "grooming" accusations by transphobes and no action taken against them so spare us the crocodile tears.

I'll say again that if you said that, for example, about gay men, it'd be rightly carded. But it seems that trans people are fair game for that sort of abuse under the guise of "discussion" and "opinions". Lots of opinions on the site would have you banned, I don't see why trans people should be treated as a special case.

Setting aside that the term "terf" was coined by a self described "trans exclusionary radical feminist", I find your objections just a little hollow when there's multiple instances of "grooming" accusations by transphobes and no action taken against them.

Bull****

Well I must hold my hands up, I must've misheard someone. It was coined by a radical feminist, to distinguish those that're 'trans exclusionary'.

However, as to my other claim: "grooming", "groomed", "groomed", "grooming", "grooming"

Now as far as I can see, there's been no mod action about any of that. And now they've been given another thread to continue that kind of vile abuse against trans people. Face facts: abuse of trans people and anyone who isn't sufficiently critical of them is absolutely fine on CA/IMHO. It's nothing short of astounding, in the most shameful way, that this is having to be discussed at all. What other minority group would you be allowed, on Boards, to make such accusations about? Why is it that threads are made to single out trans people for that kind of vituperation?

I don't want the mods to hide behind the cowardly excuses of "discussion" or "opinions" because that **** wouldn't fly with racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. so why should this be any different? You already accept that some "discussion" and some "opinions" shouldn't be allowed because they're abusive towards those groups. That's a line you've decided to draw and most people would say it's a reasonable one. All I'm saying is that it should be applied fairly and equally.
    You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated.

That's from the charter. Now I don't know about any of you (the mods, not the users here who definitely do think it's okay) but I'd say accusing a minority group of "grooming" children is pretty damn hateful, especially given the absolute and utter lack of evidence for it. There's being "forceful" and then there's being downright abusive and hateful. If you can't see how that crosses the line then frankly you shouldn't bother having it in the charter because it's nothing more than a sop.

And that's not to get into the rest of the crap that flew around on that thread and will no doubt continue into the new one. You can either have a thread where abuse of trans people is allowed or a charter that forbids it, not both.

Well I must hold my hands up,

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well I must hold my hands up, I must've misheard someone. It was coined by a radical feminist, to distinguish those that're 'trans exclusionary'.

However, as to my other claim: "grooming", "groomed", "groomed", "grooming", "grooming"

Now as far as I can see, there's been no mod action about any of that. And now they've been given another thread to continue that kind of vile abuse against trans people. Face facts: abuse of trans people and anyone who isn't sufficiently critical of them is absolutely fine on CA/IMHO. It's nothing short of astounding, in the most shameful way, that this is having to be discussed at all. What other minority group would you be allowed, on Boards, to make such accusations about? Why is it that threads are made to single out trans people for that kind of vituperation?

I don't want the mods to hide behind the cowardly excuses of "discussion" or "opinions" because that **** wouldn't fly with racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. so why should this be any different? You already accept that some "discussion" and some "opinions" shouldn't be allowed because they're abusive towards those groups. That's a line you've decided to draw and most people would say it's a reasonable one. All I'm saying is that it should be applied fairly and equally.

That's from the charter. Now I don't know about any of you (the mods, not the users here who definitely do think it's okay) but I'd say accusing a minority group of "grooming" children is pretty damn hateful, especially given the absolute and utter lack of evidence for it. There's being "forceful" and then there's being downright abusive and hateful. If you can't see how that crosses the line then frankly you shouldn't bother having it in the charter because it's nothing more than a sop.

And that's not to get into the rest of the crap that flew around on that thread and will no doubt continue into the new one. You can either have a thread where abuse of trans people is allowed or a charter that forbids it, not both.

Its also says an awful lot that pretty much no openly out trans people post on this site anymore.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Its also says an awful lot that pretty much no openly out trans people post on this site anymore.

Plenty of people don't post here anymore ,it's got nothing to do with lifestyle choices ,

Some of the greatest and down right funniest people don't post any more , life goes on and you can only speak for yourself nobody else

Actually can mods be stripped of their title ,
    Is there rules or a code of conduct all mods must follow,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭This is it

Actually can mods be stripped of their title ,
    Is there rules or a code of conduct all mods must follow,

I dont think there's a code bar follow the general site rules, what's in the mod forum is private and should not be shared, etc. There are a few threads with guidelines, etc. but they are/were quite outdated but the general gist of them would still stand I suppose.

Mods have been stripped of their title though I can only think of two, and they caused a lot of hassle. Nothing serious but creating a lot of work for mods of other forums. Lots of cards, etc. I'm not going to name them before anyone asks.

This is it wrote: »
    Mods have been stripped of their title though I can only think of two, and they caused a lot of hassle. Nothing serious but creating a lot of work for mods of other forums. Lots of cards, etc. I'm not going to name them before anyone asks.

Definitely not looking for names just something propped up ,I know they have their private forum ,I don't think I've actually ive heard anything about a mod been stripped ,I remember calls for various people calling for mods to be appointed based off liking something more than someone else.
    Boards wouldn't post about it ? Like if say I was a mod and was removed there wouldn't be a Gatling removed as a mod of insert forum here because

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭This is it

Nope it wouldn't be made public, I don't remember it being announced to other mods at the time either, just happened. Presume between cmods and admin.

Calls to appoint specific posters to mods wouldn't really lend much weight but if they're a good poster they'll stand out, mods will refer them to cmods if they need a new mod, cmods refer to admin if they approve and if admin approve it's offered to the poster.

i checked, out of interest, the first few links to the grooming complaints and one referred to what looked at first glance a textbook use of the word, the next referred to grown adults

i didn't see much point in clicking in to all the rest, given that start, if thats the kind of evidence thrown up to get threads locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was threadbanned for saying the thread might as well be immediately locked, as it would be exactly the same.

Eleven hours to be proved right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Definitely not looking for names just something propped up ,I know they have their private forum ,I don't think I've actually ive heard anything about a mod been stripped ,I remember calls for various people calling for mods to be appointed based off liking something more than someone else.
    Boards wouldn't post about it ? Like if say I was a mod and was removed there wouldn't be a Gatling removed as a mod of insert forum here because

The lad that went mad in Political Cafe carding everyone was removed eventually.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just to reiterate from the charter users on the site less than 3 months or with less than 100 posts are not permitted to post in feedback:
    To post in Feedback, you must have 100 posts on the site and have been a registered member for at least 3 months. Anyone closing their account will be subject to this restriction on any new account opened. The Help Desk will still be available to anyone wishing to raise an issue but who does not satisfy these conditions.

If your posts have just been deleted this is why.

Thanks.

Lol

Yeah, that's about what I expected. More fool I for wasting my time, I suppose. Nothing to say to the examples of "grooming" (or variations) being used and nothing done about it?
    Plenty of people don't post here anymore ,it's got nothing to do with lifestyle choices ,

Some of the greatest and down right funniest people don't post any more , life goes on and you can only speak for yourself nobody else
    Or maybe, just maybe, they've seen how on one of the site's largest, busiest forums, abuse against them is allowed go by with the apparent sanction of the mods. It's just a little bit convenient to be written off as mere coincidence.

Quite telling, though, that you've brought out the old "lifestyle choices" canard. Being gay I've heard more than my fair share of that throughout my life and I can't say I find it any more compelling when turned against trans people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Just one example of how poorly and inconsistently moderated the Current Affairs forum is:
    .anon. wrote: »
    The gleeful reaction from racists whenever something like this happens is very distasteful.
    Christ :(

Like I said you guys are dangerous, very dangerous.
    haphaphap wrote: »
    When Gervais08 is thanking your posts you need to reassess your opinions.

Two of the posts I've quoted received yellow cards. I'm not here to argue that I should be allowed to call a racist a racist. But surely calling other posters 'dangerous' is in breach of the exact same rule? No?

And it's not like the mods can pretend they didn't see the post in question, because they gave a yellow card to a post that quoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My god it is a dreadful forum, and can't think why anyone would want to mod there. Plenty of opinions there wouldn't have been out of place on Voat when that cesspit was busier.

When it's a Muslim related terror attack maybe some of the posts would be more acceptable, and the anger concerns etc a bit more justified. But when the perpetrator isn't even known, the presumption is made and away they go, and even after the events become more clear, it's the same old sh*te even if it turns out it was nothing to do with radicalised Islam.

Don't see how you can improve it unless you lock threads until actual facts are known, but that would go down like a lead balloon.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Don't see how you can improve it unless you lock threads until actual facts are known, but that would go down like a lead balloon.

They could start by applying their own rules consistently, as in my previous example. Also, it speaks volumes that there are consequences for pointing racism out, but none whatsoever for making racist posts like the one I received the yellow card for referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They could start by applying their own rules consistently, as in my previous example. Also, it speaks volumes that there are consequences for pointing racism out, but none whatsoever for making racist posts like the one I received the yellow card for referring to.

I understand you completely. A crackdown on racism and racist terms needs to be visible and clearly understood to all posters. Like you say, sometimes those who point it out get sanctioned. Here is an example from the last day or so:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115485844&postcount=73

In this post, a poster refers to Leo Varadkar as 'the indian'. A clear racist term, and the particular poster has previous when it comes to abuse of politicians. However, while the post was reported, there is no clear visible sanction for the use of the racist term.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115485913&postcount=77

Later in the thread another poster engages in some backseat moderation commenting about the racist reference "He'll get away with it too. Most of us would be banned" and correctly receives a visible yellow card for the backseat moderation.

The problem is the visuals on this. Even if the poster who made the original racist comment is banned, there is no visible evidence of this, and the message being sent by boards.ie is that the site tolerates racist references to politicians while people who raise the issue of the tolerance of racist terms get yellow-carded.

It is definitely not a good look for boards. It is not enough to claim to address racism, by actions racism must not be tolerated. A zero tolerance approach must be adopted. I am sure that the poster will claim that they were quoting a public figure's use of the term in defence, but can we all use the n-word because some politician used it once? No, is the answer and that should be the answer here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would not be a better idea to ease off on the “rules” in there?

You could call out racists, bigots, TERFs, homophobes, misogynists, Islamophobes, Aunt Lydias and other angry oddballs but, on the “flip side”, they could post their poisonous opinions without fear of mod punishment.

Stricter moderation really isn’t good for that forum. AH is clearly suffering as a result, at the moment. Would be great to have a “Move Thread” button to recommend a thread for moving to CA but that’s never going to happen.

The tide is turning…

You could call out racists, bigots, TERFs, homophobes, misogynists, Islamophobes, Aunt Lydias and other angry oddballs but, on the “flip side”, they could post their poisonous opinions without fear of mod punishment.

The problem with any of the above they are usually used to try shut down discussions by a small cohort of posters who use the terms as insults usually because they want one side discussions that are one sided and censored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

blanch152 wrote: »
    Here is an example from the last day or so:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115485844&postcount=73

In this post, a poster refers to Leo Varadkar as 'the indian'. A clear racist term, and the particular poster has previous when it comes to abuse of politicians. However, while the post was reported, there is no clear visible sanction for the use of the racist term.

In deciding whether something is racist, mods need to look at the poster's intent. Here is the context for what he wrote:
    Loyalists, by definition, will always be loyalists. They likely got great laugh out of 'the indian' kissing their arse.

The quote marks here indicate that this is a reference to a now-deleted tweet by former senior Ulster Unionist Lord Kilclooney, which referred to Varadkar as "the Indian."

If the poster is indicating that some in the Loyalist population know Varadkar as "the Indian," per Kilclooney, that makes his post free of racist intent, in my view.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Invidious wrote: »

If the poster is indicating that some in the Loyalist population know Varadkar as "the Indian," per Kilclooney, that makes his post free of racist intent, in my view.
    That highlights how everyone's definition of "racism", "racist" etc can be slightly different. In my view it has to be the intent rather than the terminology

Clearly the "N" word is now one that pretty much everyone considers racist. Calling someone "Indian" though? Someone of Indian descent?

We regularly get reports because people consider words to be racist without ever considering context.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not the CA forum but I cant have been the only one who was astonished to see the Late Late Toy Show thread on the Television forum descend into racism at the weekend. I only read a few pages of it but it seems the racists were up in arms that there was a 9 year old black girl on the tv, even children are a target for them now. Unbelievable. i think its time Boards takes a look at this problem across the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not the CA forum but I cant have been the only one who was astonished to see the Late Late Toy Show thread on the Television forum descend into racism at the weekend. I only read a few pages of it but it seems the racists were up in arms that there was a 9 year old black girl on the tv, even children are a target for them now. Unbelievable. i think its time Boards takes a look at this problem across the site.

Not the CA forum, but it was, certainly, a number of CA forum “regulars” that were “at it” in that thread.

Didn’t seem to be any moderation of the thread at all. Something which, again, I would have no problem within CA, itself. But once that “nonsense” is brought outside of the forum it should be punished and punished harshly.

The tide is turning…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement