Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Club Tracking Sensors

• 30-11-2020 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking or some user experiences and opinions on club tracking sensors as a Xmas present for myself.
    The two I am looking at are below:

Arrcos Caddie https://uk.arccosgolf.com/

Pros:
    Seem to be the industry leader - Cobra/Ping/Tayloramde all signed up
    Very detailed stats
    Caddie feature (for non tourny play)

Cons:
    Need phone in pocket or buy Link accessory
    Phone battery life drain?
    Sub required if you buy gen 3 (i have the option of buying gen 2 so not an issue)

Garmin CT10 https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/605172

Pros:
    No need to carry phone
    No sub required

Cons:
    Need a garmin watch (already have Garmin Venu so not an issue)
    No caddie feature
    Garmin Golf app not as detailed for stats

In my case i have the opprtunity to buy Gen2 arrcos for quite cheap. But i already have a Garmin watch, so wondering is worth paying an extra 80-100e for the Garmin CT10 for a more integrated package?

Anyone have any experience with the two systems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I have the CT10s and very underwhelmed with the info provided. Very poor from Garmin

I had Gamegolf but they just are terrible and not made to last

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

gypsy79 wrote: »
    I have the CT10s and very underwhelmed with the info provided. Very poor from Garmin

I had Gamegolf but they just are terrible and not made to last

Hi thanks for the repply.

Thats what i was worried about with the CT10s.
    How do you find missed shots, shots around the green and putting? Do you think they offer much more over the watch only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Have you considered shot scope watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

I have a set of Cobra f9 speedbacks with "Cobra Connect"...aka Arccos built into the grip. There is a major flaw...it wouldnt last an entire round. It works really well, it may miss a few shots here and there...but you have to have the app open on your phone for the whole round. Maybe if you brought a battery pack with you for your phone you may have more joy.

The app is very easy to use and I cant fault it other than it absolutely drains your phone battery to zero far too quickly.

Have you considered shot scope watch?

I have and it does look great. Only issue I have is the watch itself is pretty useless outside of golf.
    The garmin watch is great to use as a fitness tracker, smartwatch and the golf features are decent. Having two watches seems a waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

dazzday wrote: »
    I have and it does look great. Only issue I have is the watch itself is pretty useless outside of golf.
    The garmin watch is great to use as a fitness tracker, smartwatch and the golf features are decent. Having two watches seems a waste!
    Shotscope does seem the best option. But I really like my garmin for step counting etc whilst also been able to use for golf

IK09 wrote: »
    I have a set of Cobra f9 speedbacks with "Cobra Connect"...aka Arccos built into the grip. There is a major flaw...it wouldnt last an entire round. It works really well, it may miss a few shots here and there...but you have to have the app open on your phone for the whole round. Maybe if you brought a battery pack with you for your phone you may have more joy.

The app is very easy to use and I cant fault it other than it absolutely drains your phone battery to zero far too quickly.

Definitely the biggest issue for me. Having to carry my phien and a battery pack in the pocket would be a nightmare!
    Out of interest what phone were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

I’ve the latest arccos and find it really really good.

Very easy set up.

Accurate

Plenty of data, and I mean plenty. The new strokes gained info is interesting and the club distance is spot on. Nerdy I know but like looking over it post round...

On course gps/distances/hole layout etc spot on and love the presentation of data (once get used to it).

On course the slope/elements is good...would question the suggested club a bit though (obviously for social golf only and easy switch off for comps).

No battery issues with phone during round but would have it charged beforehand. If I did get stuck (and I haven’t) luck enough to have charger port on electric trolley.

Shot detection is very good, can miss the occasional shot especially putts but no biggie, easy update after.

The phone in front pocket I don’t like (don’t mind it in back pocket but will miss shots there).

Found didn’t work well with Apple watch but then again I hate wearing watch when playing golf (hence other options were not a flyer for me).

Setting pin location is meah but I’m waiting on the link to arrive and I’ll be sorted (for the phone in front pocket also). .

Not cheap and yearly sub gig is a pain (first year is free but then but I’ve no doubts I’ll pay up.

I got the sensors you screw in. Looks perfect bar putter which has a different shape top bar the sensor and for some reason tad untidy on my wedges (volkey). Think if was doing it again would get the ones with grips included and get them out into the clubs...but saying that is a very small gripe.

I would highly recommend (2 lads I play with have got it since I showed it off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I have the Garmin S60 and bought the CT10 sensors for the wedges and putter. I find the set up pretty good but not without its flaws as other have pointed out.

Pros:
    - No need for the phone to be accessible. Just need the watch and off you go.
    - Nice features on the watch such as plays like, green direction, swing tempo. Obviously not all usable in competition but nice to have all the same for practice.
    - Useful for getting distances based on a dropped position on the watch, e.g. for lay ups etc.
    - No subscriptions or anything.
    - Autoshot works well meaning sensors not necessary for anything other than for shots around the green.

Cons
    - Chips and putts won't be picked up without the sensors which are relatively pricey at 80 for 3.
    - Sensors are quite sensitive. For example, i find if i tap down a spike or pitch match it can pick that up as a putt i suspect.
    - Sometimes have to manually correct the number of putts after a hole. Not a big deal but can be a bit annoying when you're trying to get to the next tee.
    - Mapping of shots on the app is generally ok but can be a bit erratic on the odd hole.
    - Stats are not as comprehensive as maybe the likes of across. Would like more info. For example i would like more data on the putting but just gives it broken down by % 1, 2, 3 putts at short, medium and long distances and at that i'm not sure how it captures the data properly. It will tell you its improving but how? Less 3 putts from >20ft? who knows!
    - Sometimes i'm not sure its capturing my fairways hit correctly. Previously you would input this after drive but seems to be automatic now.
    - The screw in sensor for the putter won't suit all grips. Aftermarket superstrokes are an issue i think if one putter i had is anything to go by but in saying that, all others (scotty, ping (non adjustable) and odyssey) are fine.

Overall the system suits me primarily because the S60 is a nice smart watch in general and because i don't want the phone out all the time....I would like to try across and my irons actually have the cobra connect but the subscription puts me off....

Cheers for the responses folks!

I actually cracked and bought both systems to try them out - a full set of arrcos and a full set on of CT10s with Garmin Venu.
    WIll try a round each over the next couple of weeks are report back with my findings!

• Advertisement

I actually cracked and bought both systems to try them out - a full set of arrcos and a full set on of CT10s with Garmin Venu.
    WIll try a round each over the next couple of weeks are report back with my findings!

Jaysus that's some outlay to trial the two......did you need to get the full set of sensors for the Garmin? maybe because its not one of the golf watches it doesn't pick up the shots without the sensors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Did you pay for both sets out of your own pocket or are you doing a review for a company/magazine/article etc...

Bought both out of my own pocket.

But scoured Ebay, adverts and the likes and got the Garmin CT10 14 units for €185 and the Arccos (2nd Gen) for €90.

My theory is I will make my money back on both if I choose to sell!

thats a great price for the accros system, is that the full set which doesn't require a subscription?

It is indeed. The key is look for the boxes that do not have the apple watch symbol on the back and the putter sensor is the old type sensor in the box.

It is indeed. The key is look for the boxes that do not have the apple watch symbol on the back and the putter sensor is the old type sensor in the box.

Can you say where you got them?

I got them on ebay. Ask to seller to send pics of the box and units and discovered they were gen 2.
    You can get Gen3 on ebay for a round €100 and you get a sub free for the first year

Just thought I would provide an update after trying out both systems now golf is back

Physical
    Arrcos is slightly smaller and probably look a little better on the clubs. However, to be honest I barely noticed either on the clubs. Obviously Arrcos has option of sensors built into grips.
    Both felt secure of the clubs – but I did lose one top half of a CT10 on the driving range which was annoying – note to self do not use extensively on the range! I think to be safe adding some tape will eliminate that fear.
    CT10 have replaceable batteries which is handy. Arccos require replacement sensors when battery fails (I think you get a number of replacements for 9e each after you register product
    Arrcos is fiddly to set up – took multiple times to pair as it requires light and camera. Once initially set up its great. Garmin is very easy to pair with watch – no issues.

Accuracy
    Both seem to match closely with each other and compare close to distance as per watch (max a few feet between them). If I had to say one was more accurate for distance I would lean towards Garmin.

Both picked up similar amount of shots – few misses on both. Garmin probably had less misses. Garmin picked up more shanks/mi****s/duffs etc vs Arccos – good for the beginner golfer!
    Short putting on both is poor – don’t rely on either system for much more than number of putts per hole.

Usability
    Garmin requires a Garmin watch. Garmin Venu worked ok – Battery lasts 2/3 rounds and great to have distances on watch. Without the sensors it picks up maybe 80% shots. With sensors it picked up 95% of shots –the watch allows to monitor realtime so I was able to catch any missed shots on the fly and manual start tracking.

Upgraded to Garmin S62 and it has picked up probably 95% of shots without sensors and 100% with sensors. The Garmin S62 gives so many more features (wind, club suggestion, plays like, distance to doglegs etc) and excellent battery life (15% per round). To be honest I think the only sensors needed with the S62 is sensors for wedges and putter – everything else is captured by the watch very well.

Arccos requires phone in the pocket. This wasn’t as bad as I thought (I have a relatively small Samsung S10e) – however battery life is shocking. Could not last 10 holes no matter what I tried. Seems to be a common issue with Samsungs. I think different phones may give different experiences. Tbh I feel the system is made for Apple uses (Better IOS app, Apple watch integration) so this may be the best system for integration. The link is another option but its an extra item to charge and costs €150

Distances etc have to be checked on phone (unless you have Apple watch or to some extent Samsung watch which is reportedly buggy) so if you are someone who uses their phone currently in a round its probably not an issue but for me it’s a priority to be phone free for 4 hours!

App/Stats
    Garmin app is ok – has the majority of stats and features you require and ability to edit rounds. Some annoying things is lack of smart distances (e.g. it will take bump and run 9 irons into your overall 9 iron average distance) and requires some tinkering to get right. Putting stats are useless outside of putts per round. Community is meh – no real competitions etc. Doesn’t seem to get many updates. Its free though. Just a shame they wont put more into the software as the hardware is great.

Arrcos app is great. Really detailed stats, excellent layout and regular updates. Excellent community and really user-friendly post round editing. Works really well if you have multiple friends on the same system for round comparisons etc. Smart distances are great as well – filters out a lot of the duff shots etc. Putting stats aren’t great as there it relays on manual pin location. Not sure if you need so many stats either! It cost $99 a year though.

Recommendation:
    If you are an Apple Phone and Watch user – the Arrcos system seems to fit really well into the ecosystem and the IOS app is really impressive. Watch, Link and Arrcos Grips would be an ideal setup and would be a route I would definitely consider if I was an apple user. Note the cost in set up though - $200 sensors, $150 link, $99 per year sub + watch and phone. I just think its too buggy for the average Android user.

Garmin Venu/Vivoactive 4 on its own – great for distances but expect to have to manually add a lot of shots and autoshot function is very hit and miss. The pros are its free and the watch itself is great away from golf with excellent battery life and fitness tracking.

Garmin Venu/Vivoactive 4 + CT10s – better then autoshot if you want shot tracking. However the outlay of €250 for sensors is definitely not worth it.

Garmin S62 on its own – excellent. Autoshot works nearly flawlessly outside of chips/putts. Watch golf features are brilliant and battery life is unbelievable. Its better then the S42 as it has a HR monitor and most of the features the Fenix line has for fitness tracking etc. Expensive at €500 though but I think its worth the outlay

Garmin S62 + CT10s. Full set not worth it – you are paying a premium just to avoid tapping on your watch once after each shot. 3 or 4 sensors for wedges/putter is the ideal setup as you will get 100% shot tracking. Best buy imo at €650

Advertisement