Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sage Barista Express

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Java republic have the express down here's link, others down as well
    https://www.javarepublic.com/shop/barista-express/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

5500 wrote: »
    Will try that, i only ever use premier dairys full fat but will try another brand and see how it goes

At least it will rule out the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Will try that, i only ever use premier dairys full fat but will try another brand and see how it goes
    Try Avonmore milk
    make sure it is FRESH and very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Anyone got any tips for me, Im using the express and usually turn it on for bout 10 minutes before using to allow heat up.
    All is well untill it comes to steaming the milk. Originally I was placing the wand tip at the top of the milk for about 20/25 seconds and was happy with the microfoam ect, but the past week something seems up with it.

I could leave the wand at the tip for 40/50 seconds before dropping to heat up (which also seems to be taking an age all of a sudden) and I'm still getiing a watery texture on the milk. If you try to make a second latte after the first then it tends to be even worse.

The machine in only a few weeks old, always clean and purge the wand ect and no issue with the actual steam coming out, Im wondering if its something boiler related or if its actually the norm for everyone else?

My head was wrecked about 2-3 weeks ago, I was experiencing the exact same as yourself. But as the lads have said above, it is milk related. I think it was just bad milk we were getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    My head was wrecked about 2-3 weeks ago, I was experiencing the exact same as yourself. But as the lads have said above, it is milk related. I think it was just bad milk we were getting.

It's not that you got "bad milk", It's more than likely to do with the cows diet, Cows go from a fresh grass based diet to a preserved grass diet from the first week of November to around the middle of February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I use low fat super milk for the last year with a consistent taste and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This is driving me nuts. Recently posted about changing the internal burr back to 5, to restart the dialing in process. Now I'm back at 1 internal, 4 on the dial, 19g coffee (that's just what came out on the second lowest grind amount) and it pulled for 10 seconds including perfusion. If I drop it to 1, the absolute lowest setting and I'm not getting 25 second pulls what can I do?

Coffee is 3 weeks old stored air tight. New subscription will be sent this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

DaveyDave wrote: »
    This is driving me nuts. Recently posted about changing the internal burr back to 5, to restart the dialing in process. Now I'm back at 1 internal, 4 on the dial, 19g coffee (that's just what came out on the second lowest grind amount) and it pulled for 10 seconds including perfusion. If I drop it to 1, the absolute lowest setting and I'm not getting 25 second pulls what can I do?

Coffee is 3 weeks old stored air tight. New subscription will be sent this week.

If you have tried adjusting the inner Burr to all its options and still not grinding fine enough it may be broken. Maybe the plastic parts have worn down - assuming you've used it a lot.

Have any other beans you know have worked to check?

Buy a bag of pre ground for espresso coffee and try pouring a shot. If it is still no good then it's the machine. If its better than it was then it's the grinder

Contact them
    https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/support/sage-support.html
    it might be easily fixed .
    They might sent you a shim kit( set of washers) to fix this

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/35781-shim-kit-advice/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/espresso/bes875.html

Picked up the Stainless Steel version for €510 including delivery to Parcel Wizard. Use code GlobalCoffeeFestival-KWNRtm5u for discount.

Came across the deal on https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/sage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

CWF wrote: »
    https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/products/espresso/bes875.html

Picked up the Stainless Steel version l for €510 including delivery to Parcel Wizard. Use code GlobalCoffeeFestival-KWNRtm5u for discount.

Came across the deal on https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/sage

Good price, now the fun begins. The presets and guage zones are good for milk based but you'll want to leave them behind for espresso. Had mine a while and only now getting espresso right.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

Black Sesame is down to £399 on Amazon UK.

Good price, now the fun begins. The presets and guage zones are good for milk based but you'll want to leave them behind for espresso. Had mine a while and only now getting espresso right.

What would your advice be for espresso?

Ash_ wrote: »
    Black Sesame is down to £399 on Amazon UK.

Gonzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Definitely something wrong there, one of the slightly annoying aspects of the express is the pre-infusion time can't be changed easily, and it's set at 10 seconds, so no way a shot should be out in 10.

For comparison, the current brew I've settled on for the beans I have at the minute (Ponaire columbian) is 17.5g dose for a 30g yield in 27-28 seconds. Grind is set to 3 on the dial and I've never had to go near the internal burr.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭rowanh

I Just got one of these earlier today, 540 for the stainless one, ships on Dec 8th so have to wait in anticipation for a while! It is an upgrade from a Nespresso so I am expecting good things :)

Any suggestions on beans to get to use in it? I would love to be able to make espresso like you get in Rome, really thick and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

rowanh wrote: »
    I Just got one of these earlier today, 540 for the stainless one, ships on Dec 8th so have to wait in anticipation for a while! It is an upgrade from a Nespresso so I am expecting good things :)

Any suggestions on beans to get to use in it? I would love to be able to make espresso like you get in Rome, really thick and strong.

Enjoy!

My advice is be prepared to waste a couple of bags of beans getting the hang of it. If you like the bold, old school Italian style espresso go for dark roasts.

Also ignore the pressure gauge to a degree and focus on extraction time. Pressure was perfect me but shots were sour and under extracted. Getting the extraction time close to 30 seconds yielded much better espresso!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

Also ignore the pressure gauge to a degree and focus on extraction time. Pressure was perfect me but shots were sour and under extracted. Getting the extraction time close to 30 seconds yielded much better espresso!

Do you include the pre-extraction time in the 30sec? As in start timing when you press the button?

When buying beans am I looking whole bean or Espresso (fine) for this machine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SneakyDoyle

Whole bean goes into the grinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Whole beans as said. Also maybe get a bag of cheap beans to do some experiments. If you buy the good stuff you will waste a bunch at the start getting your head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ShadowSA

flash84962 wrote: »
    Do you include the pre-extraction time in the 30sec? As in start timing when you press the button?

From when you press the button. Should be between 20 - 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I just press the button and make coffee - clearly I've been missing out! Subscribed for a full read.

Very happy with my (obviously under utilised) machine!

Fresh bag of coffee, slight increase in extraction time and more crema but still not getting 25-30 seconds at the absolute lowest setting. Waiting for Sage customer support to get back to me. Hopefully won't be too long!

Fresh bag of coffee, slight increase in extraction time and more crema but still not getting 25-30 seconds at the absolute lowest setting. Waiting for Sage customer support to get back to me. Hopefully won't be too long!

Post a picture of the grounds pre brew.

Post a picture of the grounds pre brew.

I give it a bit of a jiggle when it's grinding to prevent spill. A good force tamp without pushing my body weight into it. This one was 19g in, 67g out. More bitter than a coffee I had earlier though.

4xO7lN1.jpg

Definitely too coarse for the finest settings.

I don't have Sage Barista ( thankfully ) , but I was silly enough to buy Sage Grinder , i presume they shared similar design.
    It was easy job to remove lower burr , 10mm nut , reverse thread , you should turn it clockwise to remove it. I would try to see what going on there first . Maybe it is not sits correctly or something similar. Don't overtighten it after.
    ps. I am DIY person, always sticking my nose in places I probably shouldn't,so may be you shouldn't do it too until it on warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

would you buy a pre owned model? and for how much?

2 years old but only used a handful of times and has all the accesories, not a mark on it.

Advertisement