Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve Dinner Ideas

Options
  • 02-12-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

So we are going to In laws for Christmas dinner and they are coming to ours for New years. I'm looking for menu ideas, I have cooked a rib of beef for New year before which was lovely, but I know my mother in law does not like beef unless its well done so I'm not sure about the stress of worrying if it will be done enough. Also thought about a Scottish slant on things for hogmanay but not sure.

Also no lamb, and Id imagine we will all be sick of turkey/ham by then.

Id like something easy enough as we have small kids and a small kitchen and I dont want to end up in a fluster on NYE. But I also want it to be festive as they have not been over here for dinner before, its normally us going over to them, and they always have real nice dinners.

I've been racking my brains and cookbooks for the past week but cant find much.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Scottish: haggis, neeps & tatties, followed by cranachan, though the raspberries may be a bit of a problem. If you need a starter, Cullen skink.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does it have to be dinner dinner... if they will be there from dinnertime to midnight maybe a starter and supper.
    Or a mix of cheeseboard, charcuterie, bread rolls, salad, sliced ham and then one round of hot chicken fillets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

So we are going to In laws for Christmas dinner and they are coming to ours for New years. I'm looking for menu ideas, I have cooked a rib of beef for New year before which was lovely, but I know my mother in law does not like beef unless its well done so I'm not sure about the stress of worrying if it will be done enough. Also thought about a Scottish slant on things for hogmanay but not sure.

Also no lamb, and Id imagine we will all be sick of turkey/ham by then.

Id like something easy enough as we have small kids and a small kitchen and I dont want to end up in a fluster on NYE. But I also want it to be festive as they have not been over here for dinner before, its normally us going over to them, and they always have real nice dinners.

I've been racking my brains and cookbooks for the past week but cant find much.

Any ideas?

You could try fillet steaks and cook MIL's well done, and everyone elses's how they like it, with greens and potatoes. Around Christmas/New Year I've always found beef to taste well. Coquilles St Jacques would do nice for a starter, easy to make from scratch or cheat by getting the Marks and Spencer ones, and a chilled dessert and fruit and cheese and biscuits to follow. For wines, an Italian like Falanghina or Gavi for the first course, a decent Burgundy for the main, a Sauternes and/or port with dessert, and a special bottle of champagne to see in the new year. Happy New Year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

How about something different. Yotam Ottolenghi has amazing recipes. You could look up his Christmas suggestions but I use his veg recipes a lot. His black pepper tofu is fantastic but a bit of a bother and maybe not for the older inlaws. Caramelised garlic tart is gorgeous and you could have it with roast spuds, all the veg, salads, even a bit of cranberry sauce. And then make something special from his SWEET dessert book. I wish I had a live in chef who would make me Ottolenghi food all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

A full salmon is a nice, lighter alternative to all of the heavy food eaten between Christmas and New Year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

Salmon en croute would be nice, either in individual portions or go all out with a full side. can be mostly prepared in advance with last minute oven cooking. Looks festive too.

Advertisement