Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should there be a driving licence refresher test?

Options
  • 01-12-2020 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭

Something like every 10 years. Nothing mad, just to see if you understand the rules of the road properly. The standard of driving out there is absolutely horrendous. No indicators, wrong lanes, no ideas at roundabouts, no mirrors, tailgating, full beams on in Broad daylight, no lights on in pitch darkness, driving around in fog or heavy rain with just drls on. Just some of the the stuff I've witnessed. If you're driving around in a 2 tonne metal box you should know how to drive it properly.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I agree. This thread pops up every few months. Standard is atrocious. Especially use of indicators at roundabouts, driving too slow, bad parking etc etc.

Without trying to generalise, old people shouldn't be let near the wheel of a car. You have your bus pass. Use it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I agree. This thread pops up every few months. Standard is atrocious. Especially use of indicators at roundabouts, driving too slow, bad parking etc etc.

Without trying to generalise, old people shouldn't be let near the wheel of a car. You have your bus pass. Use it

The statistics are fairly clear about the age profile of people killing themselves and others in RTAs , lots in thier 20s.
    When do you become old ? I'm in my 50s with no points and never caused an accident , so if I keep driving with that record when do I have stop ?

On lighter note , why not just do away with roundabouts ?

The statistics are fairly clear about the age profile of people killing themselves and others in RTAs , lots in thier 20s.
    When do you become old ? I'm in my 50s with no points and never caused an accident , so if I keep driving with that record when do I have stop ?

On lighter note , why not just do away with roundabouts ?

I was more talking about people above 70. It is a medical fact that your peepers and reaction time gets worse with age. I would recommend a re-test every year over the 76 and re-test every two years from 70 to 76.

Anyway, i agree get rid of roundabouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Well I had 2 close calls at roundabouts today. People indicating to go one way then actually going the other way and cutting me up. And neither of them were old. I just think a lot of people are clueless. I'm not a perfect driver myself but I always make sure I use my correct lanes, mirrors, indicators etc. If I keep my standards up they won't slip. I become complacent and that's when accidents happen.

Well I had 2 close calls at roundabouts today. People indicating to go one way then actually going the other way and cutting me up. And neither of them were old. I just think a lot of people are clueless. I'm not a perfect driver myself but I always make sure I use my correct lanes, mirrors, indicators etc. If I keep my standards up they won't slip. I become complacent and that's when accidents happen.

Sorry, i should have put in my initial post that i think there is a high proportion of all drivers that are useless.

A trend i have found lately is N drivers seem to be worse than L drivers. Maybe overconfidense. I don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 plainbiscuits

I think the Theory test at least should be completed every few years. New types of Road Signs and Rules etc do change all the time and would make everyone at least aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

why not just do away with roundabouts ?
    They're the safest form of junction

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

I don't think it's lack of knowledge but carelessness and complacency. I think there should be compulsory dashcams for everyone. If people knew that if they're in an accident, the way they were driving will be studied they would behave differently. Also, they would know that someone who is really annoyed about being overtaken dangerously or something like that could report them even if there's no accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I agree with use of the road being at a sub-standard level.
    I regularly seem to be the one who is dealing with others mistakes. I dont whether its their incompetence, stupidity or ignorance. Probably a combination of all those things.

Having said that, I wouldn't like to have to sit a driving test every 10 years due to other peoples incompetence.
    The expansion Garda Traffic Corps is what I would propose.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i should have put in my initial post that i think there is a high proportion of all drivers that are useless.

A trend i have found lately is N drivers seem to be worse than L drivers. Maybe overconfidense. I don't know

I'd go for that , a high proportion of drivers are just crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

No
    The current rules should be enforced by traffic police (in addition to the speed vans).

atr2002 wrote: »
    They're the safest form of junction

I'm joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have seen some terrible driving from all ages and sexes.
    I know both young and old drivers who are excellent.

I’d make a refresher test mandatory for anyone convicted of careless or dangerous driving in court.

Punish the offenders and not the competent drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Something like every 10 years. Nothing mad, just to see if you understand the rules of the road properly. The standard of driving out there is absolutely horrendous. No indicators, wrong lanes, no ideas at roundabouts, no mirrors, tailgating, full beams on in Broad daylight, no lights on in pitch darkness, driving around in fog or heavy rain with just drls on. Just some of the the stuff I've witnessed. If you're driving around in a 2 tonne metal box you should know how to drive it properly.

Just get rid of Audi's and BMW's, I don't believe indicators come as standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

No. I've driven all over the world in a truck and on my motorbike and Ireland has some of the highest standards I've come across.

I don't think it'd make a lick of difference.

People will do exactly as they do in the original test.

- Feed steering wheel through hands
    - Check mirrors often
    - Indicate on time
    - Keep appropriate distance from car in front
    - Etc, etc

As soon as the test is over they'll throw them all out the window.

I've no idea of stats or studies but I'd argue Ireland ranks in the top few % when it comes to civilised road use.

Half an hour in Rome is worse than 20 years in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yet it’s young males 18/24 who are involved in the majority of accidents according to the Insurance Companies. Explain that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Not a licence refresher but maybe a full medical every time it's due renewal

ElJeffe wrote: »
    No. I've driven all over the world in a truck and on my motorbike and Ireland has some of the highest standards I've come across.

Spain and Portugal spring to mind with anything goes on the road type of drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yet it’s young males 18/24 who are involved in the majority of accidents according to the Insurance Companies. Explain that?

Old dude hits your car , pays for the damage, insurance never knows,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Spain and Portugal spring to mind with anything goes on the road type of drivers

Italy, especially Verona and Rome are scary but what an experience.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I assume most drivers know the rules, they just don't care.

People going through late orange/red lights is a common one. They know they shouldn't, but they do it anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I agree also that young pups a lot of the time are no better, it's more speeding, showing off, drink & drugs rather than capability. I'll assume a lot of the crashes involve one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You shouldn't be able to renew a driving licence. It should expire after the 10 years and you have to do another test if you want another licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

No
    The current rules should be enforced by traffic police (in addition to the speed vans).

Speed vans are a waste of time.

We send a ton of them to motorways, which are responsible for 3% of road fatalities. Literally the safest roads to drive on.

On the other hand, there is a clear problem with many regional or local roads where many treat them as their own personal F1 track. Police the areas that require policing and stop trying to shamelessly buffer statistics in non-problem areas and generate cash through fines.

They would be better off putting a speed counter at sites of Irish deaths - and tell people that someone has died there on/below the speed counter.

After that a theory test which must be completed every 10 years, and a full driving test every 3 years for over 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Considering how boomers were given them by the government back in the day without sitting a test , yes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Retesting people is wishful thinking when the current waiting time for tests is gone up to 30 weeks, espically when the majority of people are decent drivers.

That said getting kicked down to a provisional licence should be a common sanction from the courts for a level of road traffic offences like drink driving or reaching max penalty points.

That will hurt the offender nicely by increasing insurance premiums and making them get a slew of driving lessons before resitting their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭PMBC

I was more talking about people above 70. It is a medical fact that your peepers and reaction time gets worse with age. I would recommend a re-test every year over the 76 and re-test every two years from 70 to 76.

Anyway, i agree get rid of roundabouts

Funny.
    But I agree even as I get closer daily to 68. Reaction times are slower as is concentration. But you can mitigate those by driving more slowly and 'preventatively'. I estimate Ive driven 15,000 liles last year and almost a million since starting at age 23 and only had one accident when I collided with a cow around this time of year at 6.30 pm and he happened to be in the middle of the road.
    The insurance industry could be supportive (lol) by giving a small reduction to older drivers who successfully pass repeater or advanced driver tests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say yes. Taken say every ten years past 40, every five past 60. Though I would agree with others above, Ireland's drivers are not the worst by a long shot and the notion we are smacks a little too much of the usual lack of self confidence in the Irish psyche. We're better than the Spanish on average as one example. Drive a few hours there and you're likely to see a car in a ditch. We also do better in the stats compared to Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Poland, Belgium... Even though our roads themselves outside motorways can be bloody awful in places.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement