Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rdwight wrote: »
    Let me correct that then. The IRA blew up Mountbatten, whom they presumably considered to be a legitimate target. In the same explosion they murdered a 14 year old boy, a 15 year old boy and an 83 year old woman.

There was no question of this being a case of unforeseen accidental collateral damage or even of recklessness. They knew Mountbatten wouldn't be alone on the boat and in all likelihood knew exactly who would be on it with him. If I remember right the terrorist who detonated the bomb may have had sight of the people on the boat.

My question was why, since he was celebrating IRA anniversaries, Stanley chose not to commemorate the brave volunteers who committed this act of terrorism.

Your own earlier post seems to attach more importance to Mountbatten's alleged sexual crimes than his royal or military connections. Hence my curiosity about the IRA's stange failure to act in the cases of, inter alia, Gerry Adams Sr. and Liam Adams.

Former FG TD up here allegedly ran interference for a ring of abusers hence my belief that you were doing the same for Mountbatten,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

People need to own their sh1t, tweet shouldn't have been taken down, Coveney giving out about it while his own closet filled with skeletons , Arlene trying to distract from Covid shambles and Edwin Poots

That's up to the tweeter really.
    HQ probably told him and he backtracked.
    Or he had a change of heart himself after reflection perhaps.
    Either way, he apologised as well as deleted it so he or someone advising him seen it as something that needed to be ditched.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's up to the tweeter really.
    HQ probably told him and he backtracked.
    Or he had a change of heart himself after reflection perhaps.
    Either way, he apologised as well as deleted it so he or someone advising him seen it as something that needed to be ditched.

If it came from Parnell Square, that's even worse.

It's actually a fundamental issue. Will they do the same soon enough about 1916, the Battle of Bogside.

No difference.

Many of the young radical activists in the party today salivate at the prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Time for a few others who were very vocal last week to stand up and be counted too and follow up on what they implied when they said this.

I also remember others standing up to be counted when TD's confessed to wrongdoing and people lambasting them for it.

Quick turnarounds about this place. :):)

What do you want Coveney to do?

Send in the troops again like you wanted them in before?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    What do you want Coveney to do?

Send in the troops again like you wanted them in before?

Publicly state that the British aren't interested in reconciliation and that they have to be and should immediately fulfill their obligations and undertaking to start dealing with legacy issues.
    But maybe he is just disappointed too....bless him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Publicly state that the British aren't interested in reconciliation and that they have to be and should immediately fulfill their obligations and undertaking to start dealing with legacy issues.
    But maybe he is just disappointed too....bless him.

Let’s sort out the serious pandemic and Brexit first , a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

The process to getting a United Ireland should be about promoting peace, respect for the other side, reconcilitation. This continuous divisive, hateful rhetoric does them no favours and actually damages the prospects of a U.I ever being a success. Retrospection that while your side were wronged, the other side also had atrocities inflicted on them is crucial to this process.

The jingoistic nationalism growing into southern politics makes me sick. For so-called 'lefties' Sinn Fein have a terrible problem with empathy... always the victims, it's never their fault; ashamed of nothing, offended by everything.

Well I guess Sinn Fein have to ensure a U.I will never happen or they will become irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Bowie wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing like 9/11. Maybe if the Twin Towers stood in Iraq and were occupied by the U.S. Army.
    You might not like the tweet but cut the codding.

I wasn’t aware there are different types of terrorist attacks. You can’t really distinguish between different types of murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Hubertj wrote: »
    I wasn’t aware there are different types of terrorist attacks. You can’t really distinguish between different types of murderers.

Seemingly people on this forum can. Blowing up men, women and children can be put into brackets. The PIRA sit in a bracket which allows you to glorify how great it was for them to blow people up.

Like blowing up a chip shop when the PIRA knew the target was never in the building was probably an "excellent success", sure it was only 2 children that day

And if you don't like that expect to be called any of the following "liar", "Beligerent unionist" or a "partitionist".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You weren't?

Sure the headlines were full of comparisons yesterday following Brian Stanleys tweet about Kimichael and Narrow Water, both carried out by the IRA against the British Army.

There's the constant switcheroos with different past terrorist leaders portraits being hung in the Taoiseach office depending on who's "go" it is in office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Does that include the Brits shooting dead an innocent bystander on the Omeath side of the lough?

Looks like ML going to (as usual) is going to do nothing to remove Stanley.

Up to the other members of the committee to make a stand now.

Let’s see what they are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Celebrating terrorism and people who then celebrate terror on top of which people defend people who celebrate terror and after all this Sf can't figure out why people don't like them! Says a lot about SF midset. I am not going to get into why a new generation of voter supports this kind of thing. Questions do need to be asked though.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Does that include the Brits shooting dead an innocent bystander on the Omeath side of the lough?

Any acts of cowardly murder are wrong. There is no justification for them whoever committed them. Its not about SF, the British or any other political party. Its about an elected representative celebrating an act of terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ML has fallen out with the offaly constituency, she's not going to upset the Laois one too, she did make an interesting observation on morning Ireland though, the low key nature of Stanley and I agree. Years ago, he was like a rash all over Laois, now and over the last 2 elections, not so much as a paper plane sent in my area. Seems once elected he's forgotten there's more to Laois than Portlaoise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Catherine Murphy only requires him to apologise to the committee personally and has said any thing further is up to SF.
    Labour and FF seem happy enough. Do FG matter anymore as they have set the precedent that confessed wrongdoing is fine...nothing to see here, move on.

So it looks like that is that.

Any acts of cowardly murder are wrong. There is no justification for them whoever committed them. Its not about SF, the British or any other political party. Its about an elected representative celebrating an act of terrorism.

Unfortunately H, SF have form here Cullinane, McElduff, Stanley and only poor Barry in NI paid the price.

Regret that in the (unlikely) event of SF getting power this is what the electorate will have to put up with, and which is why they are a lot further from power than they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

So were both events in his tweet acts of 'terrorism' or was it just the more recent one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dempo1 wrote: »
    ML has fallen out with the offaly constituency, she's not going to upset the Laois one too, she did make an interesting observation on morning Ireland though, the low key nature of Stanley and I agree. Years ago, he was like a rash all over Laois, now and over the last 2 elections, not so much as a paper plane sent in my area. Seems once elected he's forgotten there's more to Laois than Portlaoise.

His wife, who took up his council seat was one of very few councillors anywhere in the country who voted to nominate Gemma O'Dohertys failed presidential bid, and to the best of my knowledge hasn't rescinded her position.

His wife, who took up his council seat was one of very few councillors anywhere in the country who voted to nominate Gemma O'Dohertys failed presidential bid, and to the best of my knowledge hasn't rescinded her position.

It will be interesting to see has anyone got a backbone in the PAC tomorrow.

Hard to understand that no one other than SF can deal with this issue.

Who appoints these punters?

Needs to be ‘looked into’ surely.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see has anyone got a backbone in the PAC tomorrow.

Hard to understand that no one other than SF can deal with this issue.

Who appoints these punters?

Needs to be ‘looked into’ surely.

Might I suggest a Vote Of No Confidence? That would be the only option for them.

Might I suggest a Vote Of No Confidence? That would be the only option for them.

Every week you lads want a vote of no confidence. Next week if Ethel doesn't have the tea right will you want a vote of no confidence then as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ML says "its a a singular, one-off mistake"

so considering the previous statement from ML - not a hope.

Just shows up SF to have the same standards as the rest of the political parties on the island (i.e. very, very low)

I heard Shane Coleman on Newstalk this morning dismantling Little Boy Pearse. He had no answer when Shane pointed out to Pearse that Sinn Fein had form when it came to unacceptable tweets with a long list of previous examples.

It ended up with Pearse hanging up because of a "bad line".

ML says "its a a singular, one-off mistake"

so considering the previous statement from ML - not a hope.

Just shows up SF to have the same standards as the rest of the political parties on the island (i.e. very, very low)

Barry Cowen and Dara Calleary ended up resigning for far less than the Stanley tweet.

Every week you lads want a vote of no confidence. Next week if Ethel doesn't have the tea right will you want a vote of no confidence then as well?

Brendan was looking for someone to 'stand up and be counted' on the PAC.

See what happens when you ridicule others when they 'stand up'?

You don't have a proverbial leg to stand on when you are calling for people to stand up and be counted when things don't go your way, is what happens.

BTW, I have no issue with whomsoever wants to make a point of principle over this tweet. As Brendi says, stand up and be counted, I may disagree with you, but I defend your right to stand up and protest.

A wee lesson for the future maybe for you guys.

So far though, nobody seems to see this as serious enough to take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

blanch152 wrote: »
    I heard Shane Coleman on Newstalk this morning dismantling Little Boy Pearse. He had no answer when Shane pointed out to Pearse that Sinn Fein had form when it came to unacceptable tweets with a long list of previous examples.

It ended up with Pearse hanging up because of a "bad line".

Jesus, that didn't go well for Pierce

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-newstalk-breakfast/should-brian-stanley-face-punishment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Any chance of a bit of slack here
    You all know every SF politician holds Brian Stanley's views
    He shouldn't have tweeted them out loud
    Its not illegal or breaking regulations to tweet the view,just stupid

Attending a golf do in Galway,holding a large funeral or drink driving on the other hand...

Brendan was looking for someone to 'stand up and be counted' on the PAC.

See what happens when you ridicule others when they 'stand up'?

You don't have a proverbial leg to stand on when you are calling for people to stand up and be counted when things don't go your way, is what happens.

BTW, I have no issue with whomsoever wants to make a point of principle over this tweet. As Brendi says, stand up and be counted, I may disagree with you, but I defend your right to stand up and protest.

A wee lesson for the future maybe for you guys.

So far though, nobody seems to see this as serious enough to take it further.

So you are after Ethel or not?

• Advertisement

So you are after Ethel or not?

??? Ethel?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement