Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salthill-Blackrock winter swimming

Options
  • 28-11-2020 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

Last few days of Coldvember, NUIG students doing a daily dip for the month for charity. It'll be quiet again on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

These were not students. Female 30+.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can I ask.............are there many jellyfish near the diving board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hi All,

Went for a dip at Blackrock this evening. As expected it's a different vibe out there nowadays.

I'm not on here to moan about the dry-robe newbies. IMO everybody is welcome, nobody owns nature.

That said, there is a wide range of people who swim in Blackrock daily, young, old etc

For most people winter swimming is about connecting with nature, catching up with friends, health benefits etc,

This evening some ladies brought a boombox which was blasting music unbelievably loud. This thing had blue flashing lights, the music was pop hip hop dance full on party nightclub type stuff. Honestly, the volume levels were so high, I couldn't talk to the person with me. We were standing approximately 10 metres away from the boombox.

Again, I've no issue with lots of people taking up winter swimming. Maybe if your reading this keep in mind, other people swim there too.

I was down last night, if it was the same people, around sunset or just after? It was a 40th birthday I believe, for a woman who had a very hard year (harder than most), so I heard. I think they were only planning on being there to have a cuppa and cake for her but were asked to move on.

I get that it's annoying and they probably should have moved around to the back (they seemed to do that as I was arriving, I don't know them but one was a neighbour of my companion). I think communication is key, and it wouldn't bother me as much if I knew if it was only for a few mins.
    Maybe they were there a good while, I don't know, and if so, then that's not ok, but we never know what's going on with people. At least two of that group were regular swimmers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Geuze wrote: »
    Can I ask.............are there many jellyfish near the diving board?

Haven't seen any myself, but a couple of man o'wars washed up in Silverstrand recently (dead but they can still sting). But no major sightings at Blackrock so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is it a myth that the water's warmer (or should that be less cold) in winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭zell12

dinneenp wrote: »
    No. Gulf Stream sends warmer water north, that's why we have mild winters

Current sea temp is 11c, air temp is 7c
    https://smartbay.marine.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Panda5000

dinneenp wrote: »

Hmnn that's a myth but partially true.

The sea temperatures in Autumn are significantly higher than in the height of summer. You also have a more favourable relative temperature from the air so it can be perceived as a bit warmer when you're not as hot as in the Summer.

The temp is dropping now though. See a monthly breakdown of the temperatures at Blackrock here;
    https://www.facebook.com/870656869769857/posts/1785216878313847/

Advertisement