Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Lessons in Automatic Car

• 28-11-2020 10:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Anybody know is there any of the driving instructors /schools locally offering lessons in an automatic car?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I don’t know of any unfortunately, I’m sure there maybe some thou, just be aware though that if you pass your driving test in an automatic car, you will only have a full license for an automatic car and would be required to sit a test again in a manual car
    I drive an automatic vehicle

You are not required to notify the Road Safety Authority that you will be sitting your driving test in an automatic vehicle. You can take your driving test in an automatic vehicle, however if you pass the driving test in a vehicle with automatic transmission, your driving licence will only allow you to drive a vehicle with automatic transmission. If you pass your driving test in a manual vehicle you will be licensed to drive both automatic transmission and manual vehicles in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Anybody know is there any of the driving instructors /schools locally offering lessons in an automatic car?

Thanks

Where are you located?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

walshtipp wrote: »
    Where are you located?

Waterford City, very central.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I don’t know of any unfortunately, I’m sure there maybe some thou, just be aware though that if you pass your driving test in an automatic car, you will only have a full license for an automatic car and would be required to sit a test again in a manual car

Ah yeah that's no hassle at all. Have to pay little extra for a car starting out but the way modern car design is heading with hybrids/electrics manual transmission will be a thing for museums soon enough anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Waterford City, very central.

Try RSA school of motoring in Waterford www.drivinglessonsmunster.ie- 061574797. According to their website they offer lessons in an automatic.

Also worth ringing other instructors to see if they have an automatic car.

It is highly advisable to learn in a manual car as you then will be licenced to drive both manual and automatic. You'd never know when you may need to drive a manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭mart 23

The Irish Wheelchair Association give lessons in automatic cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I am pretty sure all Electric Vehicles are automatic , there will be a transition over the coming years and most of the cars on our road will end up being automatic and manual will be a legacy or specialty car thing.

It will certainly make the driving lessons and exam easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I am pretty sure all Electric Vehicles are automatic , there will be a transition over the coming years and most of the cars on our road will end up being automatic and manual will be a legacy or specialty car thing.

It will certainly make the driving lessons and exam easier.

Not really automatic, they just don’t have gears to change, so it’s kind of a third category. But it works somewhat similar to automatic for the driver, I suppose.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Not really automatic, they just don’t have gears to change, so it’s kind of a third category. But it works somewhat similar to automatic for the driver, I suppose.

That's exactly how any auto works to be fair. There is still a gearbox and even a clutch, it's just the decision making and work is taken out of the drivers hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

JohnC. wrote: »
    That's exactly how any auto works to be fair. There is still a gearbox and even a clutch, it's just the decision making and work is taken out of the drivers hands

I have an electric car and my wife drives a hybrid. The inner workings are all different from each other and from a traditional automatic, but from the driver’s point of view, there’s absolutely no difference - you put your foot on the brake, put it into D and press the go pedal! Experienced drivers will feel the difference, but a learner won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭calgary bound

I got lessons off a brilliant lady Michelle Sheehan in Waterford city in an automatic car. I passed my test first time 9 months pregnant thanks to Michelle :)

I got lessons off a brilliant lady Michelle Sheehan in Waterford city in an automatic car. I passed my test first time 9 months pregnant thanks to Michelle :)

I had a chat with the instructor I took manual lessons with and they will do them but in my own car so am I the process of buying one now. At least I'll get plenty of practice in between lessons now with the car parked outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

Same! I was hopeless and I thought I’m never going to pass but Michelle was absolutely amazing and now I love driving because of her! Passed the exam easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anna206

Hi,

is Michelle still offering automatic driving lessons?

Google says temporarily closed, and I can’t seem to find contact details for her

thanks!

Advertisement