Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post gone to shîte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Parcels are currently running at over 3 million per week this year, it’s normally 1 million per week, on top of that we have all the COVID restrictions in place, they are simply swamped atm.

They will be delivering today and tomorrow in order to help clear the backlog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’m the 40 years I lived in Ireland, I never had a single piece of post go missing and every online order was delivered as expected.

The circumstances right now are a little different, maybe factor that in before complaining.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

I used to get the 'we tried to deliver your package' when they clearly didn't (me being at home waiting for said package being proof enough) but for me, An Post have been doing a great job this year - no issues, and everything delivered in time and with a smile.

It's more when Amazon hire their own guys (? Maybe they're just a private delivery company) that I'm finding issues: missed deliveries, won't deliver if there's a gate (!), lots of shouting on the intercom, don't understand fairly basic instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

mihalk wrote: »
    Yeah, I get the same
    "Awaiting information on your post
    We may not have received your delivery yet, but check back later as tracking is updated regularly throughout the day"
    Packages left Germany on the 24th. Posted originally with DHL in Germany on the 21st.

Ditto, although mine left Germany with DHL on the 21st. Still no sign of An Post tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Just had anPost deliver a package I ordered from Amazon on Wed - rang the bell at 7.45 to hand it in, fair play to them and he looked super stressed. He said they are doing 4 x times the volume and not even enough vans to go around. Pretty sure with this kind of volume stuff will be delayed , mix ups will happen. bit of patience all round is needed imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

I wonder if where you are affects your experience. So far (touch wood) we've had no issues here in Dublin 6, apart from a card that took a week to get here from Dublin 2 - which seems okay in the current circumstances.

Amazon Logistics have already taken over most Amazon deliveries to our estate. Suspect they're leaving An Post with the more complicated and expensive routes. I can order on a Friday night and have it here on Sunday morning which is amazing while it lasts (Brexit!) - although I do wonder about the toll this is taking on their warehouse and delivery people. I've had a few amusing exchanges with their drivers, who are obviously very stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m the 40 years I lived in Ireland, I never had a single piece of post go missing and every online order was delivered as expected.

The circumstances right now are a little different, maybe factor that in before complaining.

People can't see past their own front door anymore.

My dad's been sending me videos and pictures from inside the Dublin mail centre and outside it over the last few weeks. Literally queues of trucks outside waiting hours to get in and unload/load up. Then when they get in there's no room to move because of the backlog. Regular mail and small packages seem to be getting through OK but don't forget the system and your average postie on his bike isn't equipped for the volume (or physical size) of large items being shipped at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

On top of the sheer number of parcels, our local sorting office had a Covid outbreak so load of staff off sick over last while.

Looks like it’s getting back to normal from next week. We’ve only had mail being delivered one day a week for the last month.

I’m cutting them all the slack they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Gotta speak up for them here too.
    Have had quite a few deliveries between us and my work.

Nothing taking anything over 3 or 4 days.
    Nothing gone lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pauly58

Here in West Cork we had an Amazon parcel go missing, yesterday a parcel arrived An Post had put a wrong address label on it, gone to Cavan & been redirected. They should never have closed the Cork sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Ditto, although mine left Germany with DHL on the 21st. Still no sign of An Post tracking.

I'm the exact same. Package being delivered by DHL, left Germany (Koln) on the 21st and no sign of it. Was originally coming from America so took a detour through Germany. Luckily it's not urgent though

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Demur2020

appreciate they are flat out and working really hard. But this week I got a notice from Amazon and from An Post that they had attempted delivery but were not successful. I was in the house all day and have video recording on the front door - there was no attempt! Would prefer them to say package was delayed rather than lie about trying to deliver it.... No response from An Post to any enquiries, and still no package 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

An Post delivery here on a Saturday.Surprised with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Was waiting for a small delivery from Amazon it was part of a larger order which all got to me on time .
    I contacted Amazon and got a refund on Wednesday as the tracing was stuck in Dublin for two weeks without movement .
    Was in post office yesterday and the girl said they had been holding a parcel for me the last ten days.
    No attempt at delivery for some reason .. they were saying the scanning system they use is under serious pressure.
    My local small post office has 3 extra vans on the road just for parcels.
    Anyone missing anything I would contact local post office to see if they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

I agree gone to ****e and im not just talking about the delays due to covid. Ive used them for over 20 years and have always had a great experience but it has been declining in the past couple of years to the mess it is now. Customer service is next to non existent if you have a problem, generic replies to emails and webchat is a poor experience, if you get them on the phone its usually someone grumpy. I have a problem with them selling products they know well they cannot deliver. Happy to take your money for premium services but take no responsibility when they cannot deliver on their guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live out the country your lucky if you get post on the Saturday before Christmas.
    This year they’ve started already due to the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I live out the country your lucky if you get post on the Saturday before Christmas.
    This year they’ve started already due to the demand.

I'm in a rural location and we've had Saturday deliveries for over a month now.

I must say we can't fault An Post. We've had minimal delays on any of our many deliveries this year. I can't say the same for most of the courier companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Giant light box (vintage wall clock) was delivered disgustingly early by An Post today and it had been sent normal international post. So they may be doing all parcels on Saturday or they may have wanted the giant box out of the DSU!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I'm in a rural location and we've had Saturday deliveries for over a month now.

I must say we can't fault An Post. We've had minimal delays on any of our many deliveries this year. I can't say the same for most of the courier companies.

We got on great with them normally. We’ve a great post woman,
    However we had a different post man last week and we never got my Birthday card, my mothers didn’t get two Birthday cards or her Tesco vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,157 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Our posties are arriving with parcels up to 7pm for the last few weeks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

listermint wrote: »
    The expect to deliver 3.1 Million + parcels this week alone.

I think people need to understand the scale of that work.

Ryanair delivering 3.1 million passengers is 100 times more complicated

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Demur2020 wrote: »
    appreciate they are flat out and working really hard. But this week I got a notice from Amazon and from An Post that they had attempted delivery but were not successful. I was in the house all day and have video recording on the front door - there was no attempt! Would prefer them to say package was delayed rather than lie about trying to deliver it.... No response from An Post to any enquiries, and still no package 2 days later.

It’s obviously a delivery person chancing their arm. It’s not common but it does happen in the courier / mail world... I’ve experienced it from the perspective of working in the industry and alas as a customer too.

Mail guy / courier gets overloaded with packages but doesn’t genuinely have time to deliver...

But will report that he attempted delivery but nobody was home as it reflects better on him..

The company and courier/delivery person are covering their arse but the customer is getting screwed... then again, it’s Ireland, par for the course these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

NIMAN wrote: »
    Our posties are arriving with parcels up to 7pm for the last few weeks too.

That can be a separate delivery if you are in a built up area. First delivery is normal mail and small items the postman can carry then you get an additional delivery of parcels which the postie on foot can't handle. In rural areas you get just the one delivery.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Got a delivery an hour ago. A parcel from a boutique in Kildare, a Vodafone bill and a government service letter.

Meanwhile, my Amazon return that I need the refund from still sits in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Caranica wrote: »
    Got a delivery an hour ago. A parcel from a boutique in Kildare, a Vodafone bill and a government service letter.

Meanwhile, my Amazon return that I need the refund from still sits in Portlaoise.

Sweet that's great service on the weekend. Well done an post

Have they bitten off more than they can chew with packages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Our postwoman has been out twice a day all week. She said she can't fit everything in the van so she has to do a second round with parcels

Also I notice a major H&S issue with the drivers

They're attempting to sort the mail while driving and it's dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Tony H

Caranica wrote: »

get onto amazon chat , that was happening to me with a return , at the same time a friend of mine got refunded a few hours after he posted it back , I argued with them on their chat and told them I had done my part , not my fault that their system for returns is slow , had the money the next day ,
    a handy thing to know is that at least in my case refunds to N26 accounts get back in your account a lot faster,

as for an post , all my deliveries are two or three days now from amazon , got two today that were supposed to be delivered on monday ,
    In Cobh at least our postman said most of the backlog is sorted , but most of them are working from 6am six days a week and will be for a while in his opinion ,
    DPD have also sped up , had a few deliveries from overclockers uk and they arrived in 3 days

Advertisement