Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV and Smart Thermal Storage heaters

Options
  • 26-11-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Is there a benefit to putting in a number of new Smart Storage heaters to a planned extension?

I currently have a new Smart Meter (house is 1999 built 4 bed on urban 24hr tariff with Nat Gas condenser (2017) CH unit - no night circuits). I will need ~ 4 new radiators for a new 2 story extension and I'm looking at a max of 10 PV (3.5kWp?) panels possibly with a ~5kWh storage battery.

The extension is within existing foundations / floors so I don't see scope for a new heat pump. The current CH may be able to take 2 or 3+ additional radiators but I'm wondering whether there is a quantifiable case for 2 or 4 Smart Elec storage heaters to maximise variable tarriffs.

As I can't find much detail on "smart" storage - what do folks think? .. all comments welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you thought about Far Infrared Heaters?
    I have no experience of them but hear good things from a mate who has them heating his separate studio room

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

What about an air to air heat pump? This would be cheaper than any electric heating system to run. All you would need is a small bit of garden space to site the outdoor unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

If have thought the most economical way would be as many rads more on the gas boiler as you can fit and if there's a shortfall then get storage or electric. The cost of s unit of gas is so cheap in comparison to electcity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...but this is a Renewable Energies forum....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

ercork wrote: »
    What about an air to air heat pump? This would be cheaper than any electric heating system to run. All you would need is a small bit of garden space to site the outdoor unit.

I'm thinking the less pipes the better. The smart storage can use free PV or v cheap electricity and is easily installed, modular and easily moved if necessary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement