Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Lads can we not

I tried not to but I just couldn’t! Sorry. I’m done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Disagree totally. The government had the whole summer to undertstand how this virus works and put in a real plan for when this happened. SO they either failed to put a plan in place or they didnt know it would happen

They failed badly and hence many people have completely ignored them. Golf should never have been shut down and people are making decisions based on their own intelligence and not baseless rulings

i know of many people who disagree with laws which our government have laid down over the years. drink driving, speed limits, taxation.... and many more i've no doubt.
    but just because they disagree.... that doesn't give them the right to (and generally people don't) go out and play by their own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Wasting your time lads, this is the same lad posting anti vax nonsense a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Disagree totally. The government had the whole summer to undertstand how this virus works and put in a real plan for when this happened. SO they either failed to put a plan in place or they didnt know it would happen

They failed badly and hence many people have completely ignored them. Golf should never have been shut down and people are making decisions based on their own intelligence and not baseless rulings

Your welcome to disagree but I know you'll find yourself in the minority when it comes to how this is looked at.

The government aren't perfect, far from it but this situation is uncharted waters for most. They are acting on advice from medical experts that are using their knowledge to try and manage a pandemic of which most countries have struggled in dealing with.

Personal Responsibility is what people need to show and this idiotic behaviour is just another example of a small minority sticking their fingers up at the rest of us. A little sacrifice is required for the greater good in helping everyone get back on the road to normality.

For those people that have lost loved ones or are missing their families, For front line workers dealing with the daily stress of keeping the show on the road as best they can. This is a slap in the face for everyone doing their part.

They should be called out on their irresponsible behaviour and the club involved should be requested to take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Disagreeing with the laws/rules is not a reason to disregard them.
    God help us if it was a defence.

• Advertisement

Wasting your time lads, this is the same lad posting anti vax nonsense a few days ago.

I missed that part of the thread thankfully. Very hard to understand that line of thinking when you see the benefits that a successful vaccine will deliver. I also see the amount of hard work going into getting a successful vaccine in place. A lot of very smart people in many companies working tirelessly to help the world get back on track.

Macker1 wrote: »
    I missed that part of the thread thankfully. Very hard to understand that line of thinking when you see the benefits that a successful vaccine will deliver. I also see the amount of hard work going into getting a successful vaccine in place. A lot of very smart people in many companies working tirelessly to help the world get back on track.

Posts were deleted by mods I think so you’d have easily missed it. Agree with you completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Deleted vaccine related post

Deleted vaccine related post

Mods have already warned about this stuff so not going to get into a back and forth, sorry to hear of your illness.

• Advertisement

Mods have already warned about this stuff so not going to get into a back and forth, sorry to hear of your illness.

Somebody called me an anti-vaxer

Like the new throwing out Nazi when someone doesnt hold same opinion as you, even if they are totally uneducated on the subject

This thread is about returning to golf. I, as someone with aserious interest who may or may not be in at risk groups thinks it is insane that golf is not allowed. It is a complete failure of government. And we are far from out of the woods. This has 12 months olus remaining.

I and many other people have lost trust in the governments hard handed approach on handling this virus. Lots of people have started to make their own educated guesses at what risks they will take. Playing golf outdoors is much safer than, lets say visiting your parents, which I am sure most of you have done.

Eddie Pepperals post about his friend dying of cancer not been allowed to see people before he dies comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This thread is about returning to golf. I, as someone with aserious interest who may or may not be in at risk groups thinks it is insane that golf is not allowed. It is a complete failure of government. And we are far from out of the woods. This has 12 months olus remaining.
    We know why golf has been closed. During the first lockdown; as it was being relaxed, people completely ignored the 5Km limit and this was well known. Some clubs also allowed visitors when this was not allowed. Currently we have people crossing the border to play golf in NI and (although not specific to golf) there is high incidence in the border counties. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the reverse will happen as golf clubs close in NI and open in Ireland.

The overarching reason for the closures is still to prevent people from making unnecessary journeys and increasing their contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rocket99

Is there any courses taking tee time bookings yet for next week? Contacted a couple but waiting for a response.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Back to thread topic please, take vaccine posts elsewhere

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

kippy wrote: »
    Disagreeing with the laws/rules is not a reason to disregard them.
    God help us if it was a defence.

People are blatantly disregarding them in much more dangerous circumstances
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    We know why golf has been closed. During the first lockdown; as it was being relaxed, people completely ignored the 5Km limit and this was well known. Some clubs also allowed visitors when this was not allowed. Currently we have people crossing the border to play golf in NI and (although not specific to golf) there is high incidence in the border counties. You don't need to be a genius to figure out that the reverse will happen as golf clubs close in NI and open in Ireland.

The overarching reason for the closures is still to prevent people from making unnecessary journeys and increasing their contacts.

There is a massive assumption that all the causes outlined fed into the decision. You are mistaken in this regard. They again used a kango hammer where a normal hammer would suffice due to massive policy failure

The third lockdown will have even less people obiding by the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What are peoples expectations around their own game when they get back. Only speaking for myself but having not hit a ball in 6 weeks I can expect my own form to be way off. Especially pronounced in short game like chipping and putting. Probably because I dont have good habits that I can adhere to after a time away from the game.

I was playing really well when we had casual only play for a few weeks after the 1st lockdown, it didn't carry through to competitions and my best 2 rounds all summer were 36 and 37 points. Vast majority of other rounds were less than 33. I think during casual play I'm not overthinking my swinging and putting

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I was playing really well when we had casual only play for a few weeks after the 1st lockdown, it didn't carry through to competitions and my best 2 rounds all summer were 36 and 37 points. Vast majority of other rounds were less than 33. I think during casual play I'm not overthinking my swinging and putting

I'd be the same too. The cárta in the back pocket makes a big difference to my game.

People are blatantly disregarding them in much more dangerous circumstances

Yes.....No doubt whatsoever in that regard but those actions are people also being irresponsible and not adhering to the lock-down which is in place for the greater good

There is a massive assumption that all the causes outlined fed into the decision. You are mistaken in this regard. They again used a kango hammer where a normal hammer would suffice due to massive policy failure

They have definitely played a negative part in the unpopular decision being made.

The third lockdown will have even less people obiding by the rules

Most likely the case and this in turn will lead to increased cases and deaths. A self perpetuating pandemic situation for which NPHET and the government will have no other choice but to react with further restrictions.

This thread needs to be about golf so let me ask the following

Have you gone to your course and played golf during the current restriction ?

I hope we all get back playing next week and maybe get some dry weather. I would imagine it will be playing at your own course members only with no visitors allowed which does make sense in keeping travel limited. For traceability it also makes it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Rocket99 wrote: »
    Is there any courses taking tee time bookings yet for next week? Contacted a couple but waiting for a response.

Speaking to a lot of clubs today and everyone seems to be shut for green fees for the first two weeks to allow members access first.

I also think weekends green fee golf during winter will be very hard to access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You have something to back this up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

the lawman wrote: »
    Epidemiologists have recommended to shut everything down based on scientific facts and data. Government have agreed and sure enough the country is in a much better position regarding the virus 6 weeks later. Many lives have been saved.

But Ben and Bob know better than them because ‘intelligence’ so they’re gonna go ahead and break the rules and play golf. Why should Ben and Bob have to sacrifice as much as others have to to keep everyone safe?

Ben and Bob are selfish idiots. There is no argument here.

The WHO said lockdowns are not a recommended policy for managing this virus. Conservative Tony is out to protect his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭kippy

morrga wrote: »
    The WHO said lockdowns are not a recommended policy for managing this virus. Conservative Tony is out to protect his legacy.

Increased restrictions are the only policy currently available when numbers reach a certain point.
    People would be well advised to have a read of this.
    https://www.who.int/director-general/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---26-october-2020
    And take some note of it.

I think people are missing the point here, nobody in NPHET or WHO are saying golf or tennis for example are super spreaders but its the activities which go on around them which can cause problems. We've already seen that people will ignore travel restrictions to play golf, therefore the only solution is to stop it completely. The GAA had the same problem, they could control some aspects of it but the reality is that people will do what they want and you can't do anything about that.

I have to laugh at some posters here who seem to think that all golfers leave their house, drive straight to the course, behave absolutely perfectly on the course and then drive straight home. Its a fantasy, I'd give it a few weeks before you'll have a story from NPHET about a society event or similar causing a surge in cases and I'd say the same about any sport, its just the nature of sport to be honest and I don't know how you get away from it.

The purpose of a lockdown is not to punish individual sports, its to stop the rise in infections. Its worked, albeit not as well as NPHET might have thought but it still worked. I personally think golf should be allowed within county boundaries at a minimum but if its a choice between spending Christmas with family or a round of golf or two I know which one I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You're dead right ivefoundgod. A game of golf right now would be magic!

Have we any idea yet what day we can get out on the golf course. Is is Tuesday, Wednesday Friday 4thi have even seen mentioned.

Have we any idea yet what day we can get out on the golf course. Is is Tuesday, Wednesday Friday 4thi have even seen mentioned.

Current Level 5 restrictions are due to expire on Monday night so in theory we could be back playing on Tuesday. All dependent on the announcement later though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Rocket99 wrote: »

There shouldn’t be - they need to wait for guidance from the GUI/Govt to see what gaps they can have between groups and if how many max to a group etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Current Level 5 restrictions are due to expire on Monday night so in theory we could be back playing on Tuesday. All dependent on the announcement later though I suppose.

Sorry, the current restrictions end at midnight December 1st, that means Wednesday Dec 2nd is first day, unless this evening the Taoiseach amends or charges original designation

doublej wrote: »
    Sorry, the current restrictions end at midnight December 1st, that means Wednesday Dec 2nd is first day, unless this evening the Taoiseach amends or charges original designation

It was clarified last night. Media quote below.

"To address some confusion: the current restrictions end on Tuesday morning, not Tuesday night - pending further decisions, December 1 is the first day on which the current restrictions no longer apply"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

callaway92 wrote: »
    There shouldn’t be - they need to wait for guidance from the GUI/Govt to see what gaps they can have between groups and if how many max to a group etc.

No reason why they cant take bookings, they could presume previous guidelines and adjust after.

Advertisement