Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/2021 Premier League Injuries and Suspensions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CSF wrote: »
    I’m no expert but doesn’t that put him at real risk for next Saturday morning also?
    It'd be hard to hold him if that true. Especially with City's fixtures turning, would be:
    Salah: Blank Blank WOL
    KDB/Sterling: tot BUR FUL

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/11/mohamed-salah-returns-third-positive-covid-19-test-to-miss-leicester-clash/
    The No. 11 could also miss Wednesday night’s Champions League clash with Atalanta, and will be considered a doubt for the trip to Brighton the following Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Plus as he's definitely positive, he might actually be sick. It's a sell for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It'd be hard to hold him if that true. Especially with City's fixtures turning, would be:
    Salah: Blank Blank WOL
    KDB/Sterling: tot BUR FUL

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/11/mohamed-salah-returns-third-positive-covid-19-test-to-miss-leicester-clash/

I had already taken a minus as was sick of my team but even with a minus 4 Salah to KDB seems very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think I'll have to take a -4 too, bad enough Im struggling to field a full team but Salah our for 2 PL games with no certainty on his return is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,018 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fairly sure I'll be moving him out too, but will wait til Saturday morning incase we get new information about him and others.

• Advertisement

Does the 2nd positive mean he has to remain in Egypt, if thats the case would miss more training? COuld mean he misses a few weeks especially if sick.

But im not sure if thats the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I see Chillwell on the bench for England so presumably he’s ok :confused:

Robertson starts for Scotland as well so again would assume he’ll be fit for weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Does the 2nd positive mean he has to remain in Egypt, if thats the case would miss more training? COuld mean he misses a few weeks especially if sick.

But im not sure if thats the case?

Can't leave Egypt until he tests negative and next test is Monday. Not sure what the story is when he gets back to UK then

• Registered Users Posts: 33,018 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't leave Egypt until he tests negative and next test is Monday. Not sure what the story is when he gets back to UK then
    Where did you hear the Monday thing? I thought Liverpool would nearly be testing him hourly to get him back at the earliest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'm also confused by the Salah situation. My reading of it is that a positive test requires 10 days quarantine. If he had a positive test on the 18th, that would make him eligible to play (assuming a negative test result in the interim) on the 28th which is the day of the Brighton game, or even the 29th if the 18th doesn't count as the first day of quarantine.

If the above is accurate, he'd surely be unlikely to play the Brighton game on his first day back. Am I missing anything with this?

• Advertisement

The latest is he had a second positive test yesterday and that he cannot leave Egypt until he tests negative. His next test is on Monday which will be his 10th day of isolation. If it is negative he can leave Egypt.

Arsenals Mohammed Elneny (also Egyptian) has tested positive too as has Kolsinac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Henderson rumoured to be out for this weekend as well.

Probably doesn't directly affect FPL but might make Liverpool assets less appealing imho

The Liverpool team is falling apart at the seams, TAA is out for a month with his calf and Hendo has a groin problem

Just on the Zaha news, Hodgson said that his positive test was last Monday, and they were hopeful he would make the game last night. They're still hopeful he'll make Newcastle on Friday.

Pity Hodgson didn't tell us at his press conference.
    Roy Hodgson has revealed that Wilfried Zaha’s positive Covid-19 test came “closer to the start of last week” – with the forward facing a race to be able to return for their next Premier League game against Newcastle United.

The date of the test is crucial to knowing whether the forward will be available for the Eagles’ fixture against the Magpies on Friday.

Government guidelines insist that individuals who test positive should self-isolate for a 10-day period. Further Premier League rules state that a negative test should be returned before players and staff can begin training or playing again.

If Zaha tested positive on Monday or Tuesday last week, he could be in line to play against Newcastle providing that he tests negative beforehand. Any later and his chances of featuring will be cast into further doubt.

Hodgson said: “We’ve known about it for a few days. I can’t remember exactly when it was now, it was towards the start of last week that we’ve known about it.

“We didn’t want to go out and broadcast it to the world because we were hoping that a second test might have allowed him to play.

“He’s had to self-isolate and I’ve had to wait for that test to hopefully free him. He’s not particularly unwell, it’s just that he failed a test.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Government guidelines insist that individuals who test positive should self-isolate for a 10-day period. Further Premier League rules state that a negative test should be returned before players and staff can begin training or playing again.

By that logic Salah shouldn't be in training, but the PL seem to allowing players to train/play once they test negative, be that on day 1 or day 11 after the positive test. It really is a mess - instead of a strict policy we probably have players taking tests at all hours of the day hoping for that negative result.

With all the false positives, you would also imagine that once test positive, that they need at least two negative tests before they can train/play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Salah tested negative on Sunday. He then returned to training on Monday, in what looked like a solo session.

I doubt there was too much team training going on after a Sunday night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Fitz* wrote: »
    Salah tested negative on Sunday. He then returned to training on Monday, in what looked like a solo session.

I doubt there was too much team training going on after a Sunday night game.

If Liverpool have any cop on they will play a reserves team for champions league and let players get some bit of a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Ace2007 wrote: »

By that logic Salah shouldn't be in training, but the PL seem to allowing players to train/play once they test negative, be that on day 1 or day 11 after the positive test. It really is a mess - instead of a strict policy we probably have players taking tests at all hours of the day hoping for that negative result.

With all the false positives, you would also imagine that once test positive, that they need at least two negative tests before they can train/play.

Ace, playing devils advocate here ... but I’m sure Liverpool would argue that those restrictions for positive results apply for tests taken in the UK/England and not a different jurisdiction.... therefore salahs uk test shows negative and he is available for selection.

I have seen too many legals in my line of work to think of how they could interpret the rules to suit themselves, doesn’t matter if it’s obvious or written in simple English, rules/laws/recommendations can all be interpreted differently depending on what you want them to say.

If Liverpool have any cop on they will play a reserves team for champions league and let players get some bit of a rest.

I think that's the eventual plan. But have to guarantee qualification first. The rotation options are still very light.

CBs there is the known issues. Matip will start but I think Williams will play so Fabinho gets a bit of a rest. I think Robbo will also get rested.

I'd prefer Gini to be rested, but I'm not sure the bodies are there at the moment to allow this. Jones, Milner & Gini are the only known fit midfielders currently.

I'd say Mane, Bobby & Jota will get a rest too. Maybe all coming off of the bench though. I think Salah will start tomorrow night though, after the 10 days off. Get that match sharpness back to top level before Brighton at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe I'm just conservative but Liverpool resting too many could have them in a group with 2 teams right behind them. I see only Mane maybe not playing. 3 others can be subbed off if they can get ahead.

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just conservative but Liverpool resting too many could have them in a group with 2 teams right behind them. I see only Mane maybe not playing. 3 others can be subbed off if they can get ahead.

It would be sorta funny if one of the big named players (like Robbo, Jota or Mane) wasn't in the squad and no explanation given - then you would be worried for the weekend.

Further more to my post earlier, Firmino didn't train today so he probably won't be playing.

There were 16 outfield players that trained, of which 4 are teenagers and 1 is yet to play a meaningful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Zaha out.

https://twitter.com/FFScout/status/1331954075689230337
    "No, he wont be in contention for this [Friday], he has still got to serve out the period of isolation. That would take him to Saturday, when he'll be tested again. He's been feeling OK."

Nick Pope a major doubt for Burnley.

https://twitter.com/FFScout/status/1331957506604732417
    Sean Dyche confirms that Nick Pope is unlikely to play against Manchester City after receiving a blow to the head in Monday’s victory over Crystal Palace.

Lucas Digne picked up a "serious training ground ankle injury" according to Ben Dinnery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Zaha injured at least allows us to plan.

Think I'll be taking a hit.

It's interesting though that Palace are saying that he has to self isolate until Saturday at which point he will be tested again, but in Salah's case they tested him the day he touched down, got a negative and he's back training.

is it a case that because Zaha came up positive in the PL round of testing that the protocol has to be followed, 10 days self isolation - followed by test of set day, whereas if your test positive from anther source in Salah's case, that they only need a negative taken whenever they like to be allowed to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Lucas Digne picked up a "serious training ground ankle injury" according to Ben Dinnery

Out for two months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It's interesting though that Palace are saying that he has to self isolate until Saturday at which point he will be tested again, but in Salah's case they tested him the day he touched down, got a negative and he's back training.

is it a case that because Zaha came up positive in the PL round of testing that the protocol has to be followed, 10 days self isolation - followed by test of set day, whereas if your test positive from anther source in Salah's case, that they only need a negative taken whenever they like to be allowed to play?

Salah tested positive on Fri 13th so he did his 10 days.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Out for two months

And just rose in price last night :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Digne injury lessens DCL prospects somewhat. They have some tricky fixtures coming up anyway, but Dignes deliveries will be missed.

Advertisement