Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children’s book - novice - coast fishing

Options
  • 21-11-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

This summer my son (9) really got into the idea of fishing using a fishing rod. We did some fishing in Kerry, but caught nothing. We also did some fishing in Dublin and were equally successful. For Christmas we would like to get him a book explaining the basics. We have a fishing rod but would like to understand better what lures to use in a harbour or on the rocks around Dublin, Wexford and Kerry. These are the counties where we would typically go fishing, if we had no restrictions. We live in Dublin.

Any suggestions for books?
    Or any suggestions for lures to use in the harbour in Howth?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Gangu wrote: »
    This summer my son (9) really got into the idea of fishing using a fishing rod. We did some fishing in Kerry, but caught nothing. We also did some fishing in Dublin and were equally successful. For Christmas we would like to get him a book explaining the basics. We have a fishing rod but would like to understand better what lures to use in a harbour or on the rocks around Dublin, Wexford and Kerry. These are the counties where we would typically go fishing, if we had no restrictions. We live in Dublin.

Any suggestions for books?
    Or any suggestions for lures to use in the harbour in Howth?
    Thanks

when I used to bring the kids fishing at that age I used very light gear dangled down the side of the pier or off the steps. Something like a light float and a small hook with a bit of fish on it (mackerel or similar) You can actually see small fish darting out from the wall or seaweed and nosing around the bait before hopefully taking it. I used to put them in a bucket of seawater for a while, let the kids have a look and safely return them. Not terribly exciting for an adult but a good starting point for kids as at least you are usually guaranteed to catch something, however small.
    assuming he can cast then a German sprat is a good all round lure for a beginner. Mainly for summer use though for mackerel and pollack.
    No idea on books though I am sure someone here will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    when I used to bring the kids fishing at that age I used very light gear dangled down the side of the pier or off the steps. Something like a light float and a small hook with a bit of fish on it (mackerel or similar) You can actually see small fish darting out from the wall or seaweed and nosing around the bait before hopefully taking it. I used to put them in a bucket of seawater for a while, let the kids have a look and safely return them. Not terribly exciting for an adult but a good starting point for kids as at least you are usually guaranteed to catch something, however small.
    assuming he can cast then a German sprat is a good all round lure for a beginner. Mainly for summer use though for mackerel and pollack.
    No idea on books though I am sure someone here will advise.

Thanks very much for this. Is there any point fishing at this point in the year? We haven’t a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Theres not a huge amount to be caught in howth this time of year. There will be some whiting, pouting and maybe still some conger. the conger arent easily caught. There can be some good fishing in Dublin but its tough to find. In late summer and early to mid autumn you can get mackerel in howth.

But I sea fish a lot and I havent wet a line in Dublin in about 5 years. And I live in Dublin. As I said there is some good fishing but its not easily found.

Are you set only on sea fishing? There are some freshwater options.

Wexford and Kerry are much richer in terms of fish. If you are heading to kerry again PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

for books maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Properly-Explained-Ball/dp/071602201X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sea+fishing+for+beginners&qid=1606241694&sr=8-2

There are also lots of really good youtube channels these days! youll learn a lot quickly from them.

Some I like are Karl and Alex fishing, TA fishing show, Alan Yates. etc

Bio Mech wrote: »
    for books maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Fishing-Properly-Explained-Ball/dp/071602201X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sea+fishing+for+beginners&qid=1606241694&sr=8-2

There are also lots of really good youtube channels these days! youll learn a lot quickly from them.

Some I like are Karl and Alex fishing, TA fishing show, Alan Yates. etc
    Thanks. I’m delighted he is interested in fishing so not inclined to support it with screen time and YouTube. The book link is helpful! Thanks! I’m hoping to find something for the novice in Ireland. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Theres not a huge amount to be caught in howth this time of year. There will be some whiting, pouting and maybe still some conger. the conger arent easily caught. There can be some good fishing in Dublin but its tough to find. In late summer and early to mid autumn you can get mackerel in howth.

But I sea fish a lot and I havent wet a line in Dublin in about 5 years. And I live in Dublin. As I said there is some good fishing but its not easily found.

Are you set only on sea fishing? There are some freshwater options.

Wexford and Kerry are much richer in terms of fish. If you are heading to kerry again PM me and I can point you in the right direction.
    So kind. Thank you. We are heading to Tagoat in Wexford weather and restrictions permitting and plan to try out there too. We only have tried sea fishing. River fishing feels more complicated as you have to work out if you are allowed to fish I thought.

Thanks. I’m delighted he is interested in fishing so not inclined to support it with screen time and YouTube. The book link is helpful! Thanks! I’m hoping to find something for the novice in Ireland. Thanks!

the content in that book would cover Irish sea fishing too. If you can get your hands on one Bob Moss wrote a good practical one called "the third breaker" thats specific to Kerry. But the author has passed away and you might struggle to find a copy.

Otherwise im at a loss as I havent read an angling book in about a decade.

So kind. Thank you. We are heading to Tagoat in Wexford weather and restrictions permitting and plan to try out there too. We only have tried sea fishing. River fishing feels more complicated as you have to work out if you are allowed to fish I thought.

The canals in Dublin are both entirely free to fish. and are fairly easy to get your eye in. A few lures and you have a chance of pike and perch. I dont know wexford well unfortunatley.

Advertisement