Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV as second car?

Options
  • 26-11-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Is it smart to get an EV for the second car that will be driven once a month or better to simply get a 1L petrol. I'm worried about battery degradation with it not running that much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Go car an option if only needed once a month.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is it smart to get an EV for the second car that will be driven once a month or better to simply get a 1L petrol. I'm worried about battery degradation with it not running that much.

For the premium EVs cost up front, it's probably not worth it. In fact owning a car which is driven 12 times a year is not worth it. Tax, insurance, NCT, servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends. What is the longest trip this car will ever do?
    You won't name any fuel savings if you only use it occasionally.

If the car is sitting battery degradation will not be main worry but depreciation is. For example a 2004 yaris 1L will cost 500 euro and have no depreciation. Insurance may be 300 euro higher per year than equivalent less than 10 year old car. You need to do NCT every 12 months and a 500 euro car can easily be not worth fixing for small things like shocks gone

An EV will be at least 4000+ and have at least 500 per year depreciation. It won't be ideal for runs above 80km round trip. Fuel savings will be negligible. Lower cost is an old ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭rocketspocket

For the premium EVs cost up front, it's probably not worth it. In fact owning a car which is driven 12 times a year is not worth it. Tax, insurance, NCT, servicing.

I hear you - the problem I have is that its not needed now but when covid is over I go away on business with the primary car - only reason i was thinking an EV is that the primary car is an EV & we have the charger installed...

The Go-Car is an option but don't think misses would go for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Whats your first car?

If you get an EV, maybe you will find you drive it more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1 litre petrol all the way.

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Whats your first car?

If you get an EV, maybe you will find you drive it more

First car is an ID.3

OK - let me pad out with a bit more context.. I've a nice clear Car sitting up North at the family home (VW Golf 2010). First thing i was going to do was bring it into ROI and use this as the second car but the VRT & NOX tax is crippling - think it works out at around 3K - so that got me thinking of what my options are;

1-> Trade it in & get something more VRT friends (EV should be zero VRT). I'm also going to start looking at Hybrids
    2-> Sell it privately in the North and get a 2nd hand car in the ROI for the misses to use when i'm away with the car.

I really can't be arsed with option 2 - selling it and having to deal with the public and the car needs a timing belt and i don't want to spend that money on a car i'm selling.. I like option 1 as its clean and working with dealers..

Maybe best just trade it in for a 1L petrol and pay the VRT on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

OK - let me pad out with a bit more context.. I've a nice clear Car sitting up North at the family home (VW Golf 2010). First thing i was going to do was bring it into ROI and use this as the second car but the VRT & NOX tax is crippling - think it works out at around 3K - so that got me thinking of what my options are;

1-> Trade it in & get something more VRT friends (EV should be zero VRT). I'm also going to start looking at Hybrids
    2-> Sell it privately in the North and get a 2nd hand car in the ROI for the misses to use when i'm away with the car.

I really can't be arsed with option 2 - selling it and having to deal with the public and the car needs a timing belt and i don't want to spend that money on a car i'm selling.. I like option 1 as its clean and working with dealers..

Maybe best just trade it in for a 1L petrol and pay the VRT on that..

If you've owned in the North for a while there shouldn't be VRT

If you've owned in the North for a while there shouldn't be VRT

Looked into it - will struggle to convince Revenue that i'm exempt as i didn't bring it in when i moved down here in 2014 (i lent to my mum for a few years while i was living down here and was city living so didn't need the car then)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If its idle for a whole month on a regular basis you'd need to ensure you leave it at ~50% state of charge. If you can do that and still be able to get where you need to on the day you need it, then fine, but it seems like it would be a PITA and a waste of a good EV tbh.

And then the issue with phantom 12V battery drain on several EV's, where the car will leave you down on the day you need it.

Get the 1l petrol.

Advertisement