Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise: What idiots were running the show?

Options

Comments

Telling you something; In the main the effects hold up fantastically well

Edit: Yes I know that they pushed it too far in season 3, with the insectoid Xindi.
    A/ I'm not there yet
    B/ Referring to the bread and butter space shots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,255 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This thread has made me restart watching Enterprise. I'm enjoying S1 again.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

OK my first dud, in "Dear Doctor"

Just no way that they would allow a species to go extinct just because there was a chance that another would take its place.
    That logic could be used on any species, some other would eventually replace it

Still quite sad seeing Crewman Cutler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Waymire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Inviere

This thread has made me restart watching Enterprise. I'm enjoying S1 again.

Enjoy it, it's nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. There are of course some stinkers, but no Trek show is immune to those, and some underdeveloped characters, but again, not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

OK my first dud, in "Dear Doctor"

Just no way that they would allow a species to go extinct just because there was a chance that another would take its place.
    That logic could be used on any species, some other would eventually replace it

Still quite sad seeing Crewman Cutler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Waymire

You have to remember that there is no Starfleet or Federation around yet. There is just Archer with his warp 5 capable ship from Earth and then some less fast ships. There is not even a prime directive yet. They do not have unlimited resources or technology at there disposal.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    You have to remember that there is no Starfleet or Federation around yet. There is just Archer with his warp 5 capable ship from Earth and then some less fast ships. There is not even a prime directive yet. They do not have unlimited resources or technology at there disposal.

It's not the tech was the issue, they used some pseudo-intellectual nonsense about the secondary race getting their chance, by allowing the primary to die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I love Enterprise, it was the last real Star Trek show before they started making the new films and Discovery (fake Star Trek).

Have to love Netflix, I re-watched so many episodes over the past year. The show holds up really well. It got so much unnecessary hate back in 02, couldn't understand it at the time as I loved it. It ran for the four years I was in college, always associate it with that time in my life. (Hard to believe its almost been 20 years)

Compared to what we have to deal with now, it's just classic.

Shout out for Season 2: Regeneration - "Hit them with everything we have got"

Season 2 is much much stronger that I remember

Onto season 3 now: Man that revamped tune is terrible

Ms

This might be of interest. It's a kind of fan mad film of what happens before a during the Romukan war. The 2and video is the better one so highly recommend watching the video under it first.

https://fanfilmfactor.com/2020/10/07/the-romulan-war-is-set-to-premiere-october-19-releases-new-ships-of-the-line-trailer-prequel/

Oh "Twilight" is a FANTASTIC episode!!

Top level Trek

• Advertisement

Then followed by the near obligatory western, urgh

*Edit*
    This is actually interesting, so far

OK that North Star western episode was standard enough "Aliens took humans" fare but is better than say The 37's in that we see the overthrown slavers race still around.

Total stand alone episode but a nice break from the whole arc. Similitude is up next, damn that is a hard one

Episode 3 (after 2 parter opener)

Bit of a comedown. Good to see humanity in play here with Archer refusing to give up on the aliens BUT

OK here we see the NX completely outmatched. Missiles taking several seconds to make contact, just slapping off sheilds and slow enough for energy weapon targetting.

Alien captain turns up and does not think that the vessel under attack and being cut into is the one sending distress call.

**** but Hoshi is completely out of her depth, I'm sorry but no amount of growth excuses her being there int the first place.

Oh and releasing an alien animal onto another planet? Just no

I had a major crush on Hoshi back in the day but on rewatches her space anxiety does start to grate.

Jesus but I am flying through this season, it's great. Totally what I expected, it is a season crying out for modern style binge/on-demand watching.

E2 is a fantastic episode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Jesus but I am flying through this season, it's great. Totally what I expected, it is a season crying out for modern style binge/on-demand watching.

E2 is a fantastic episode
    The transporter battle was a really good idea.

I take everything negative, I ever said, back.

Final few episodes of season 3 are amazing.

OK I don't think that I'm imagining this but there seems to be a marked improvement in the picture quality, in season 4.
    No digital noise and crystal clear image.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Decided to give Season 3 a go again. Found it far too convoluted first time round but hopefully in the Netflix era, it should be easier to follow second time round.

As an aside, the soft rock theme song might be a bit off-brand for a Trek show but the title sequence itself is magnificent imo. Get goosebumps watching the depiction of human progress leading up to the Enterprise's launch.
    Cork Exile wrote:
    Onto season 3 now: Man that revamped tune is terrible

Ah that's what changed. I watched a couple of episodes of season 3 and was thinking something was off, like did they drop scenes from the title sequence or something. Definitely didn't have the same impact as watching the title sequence in the previous seasons.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Rawr

Stark wrote: »
    Decided to give Season 3 a go again. Found it far too convoluted first time round but hopefully in the Netflix era, it should be easier to follow second time round.

As an aside, the soft rock theme song might be a bit off-brand for a Trek show but the title sequence itself is magnificent imo. Get goosebumps watching the depiction of human progress leading up to the Enterprise's launch.

I'm doing the same at the moment. Skipped ahead to Season 3.
    Is not bad on rewatching, although the T'pol fan-service is more obvious on rewatching.

Phlox: Commander Tucker...you need Vulcan acupuncture to help you sleep.

Tucker: Vulcan acupuncture?

Phlox: Yes...topless moaning Vulcan acupuncture...

Tucker: Wait? What?

Phlox: Like I said....Vulcan acupuncture....

Yeah that scene was quite weird and creepy. Like Phlox was pimping T'Poll out or something. Also T'Pol: "Commander Tucker, this is not a sexual service" like the disclaimer on the bottom of a dodgy massage ad! :D

There was a similar scene in early season 1 where the writers found some scant pretext for getting Tucker and T'Pol to strip down to their underwear and grope each other. I remember thinking at that point that the Star Trek franchise had jumped the shark.

Okay, I just rewatched that bit to see what the pretext was and it started with Phlox perving on the two of them and Tucker asking "is this really necessary?". So we've determined that's how Phlox gets his kicks :D

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Phlox also encouraged Tucker to have a fling with one of his wives, Denobulans are weird.

Evade wrote: »
    Phlox also encouraged Tucker to have a fling with one of his wives, Denobulans are weird.

I believe that's known as a "cuckolding fetish".

Stark wrote: »
    I believe that's known as a "cuckolding fetish".
    I don't think it qualifies as a fetish if it's the cultural norm.

I am stunned. I'm sitting here watching "Daedelus" and I've realised that, in the days of binge watching, I much much prefer season 3 to 4.

About 6 episodes into Season 3. So far, the show is still very "meh". I guess I'm feeling unfavourably biased at the moment as episode 6 "Exile" is probably Enterprise's "Sub Rosa". Hopefully it gets better.

Last 2 episodes: Demons and Terra Prime.

Damn it's depressing that these episodes are more relevant now than 16 years ago.
    The whole "Western" world seems to have backslid in the past 5 years

Yeah, last 2 episodes.

Ms

Last 2 episodes: Demons and Terra Prime.

Damn it's depressing that these episodes are more relevant now than 16 years ago.
    The whole "Western" world seems to have backslid in the past 5 years

Yep between the British going backwards trying to think they can have there glory days as a world Empire again lol and the buffoon over in America for the last 4 years (thankfully he will be gone soon) whose name I shull not mention it unfortunatly has gone backwards a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Rawr

I am stunned. I'm sitting here watching "Daedelus" and I've realised that, in the days of binge watching, I much much prefer season 3 to 4.

I'm experiencing the same.
    Wierdly enough, back in the day I dropped the show in Season 3 and sort of came back when Season 4 aired.

On Rewatching, Season 3 feels like the best of the show. At times it even felt like what Voyager *should* have been, especially near the end when the ship spent most of the time in bits.

Another thing that surprised me was how I started to feel about the NX01 when she was being ripped apart by the Xindi. I never really cared about the ship before, but then seeing it nearly die and slowly crawl back to life kind of made me actually like the ship.

But sure enough, I was having fun with my binge watch through Season 3 until we hit the beginning of Season 4 and....space Nazis...and then I just started to tune out. I've now skipped ahead to the mirror episodes, because they were a lot of fun :P

One thing I think I didn't really give the show enough credit for was the clear amount of effort that went into making this show feel pre-TOS. They screwed up the continuity often, but the designs and tech really fit in with the future TOS world. Also, now while I'm watching old USS Defiant done up in an authentic TOS style, they still managed to make that cheesy 60's interior somehow seem more advanced than the NX01. That was well done I feel.

I can't help but wonder what happened in Season 4. Season 3 had a clear plot arc...but maybe they just couldn't manage it again. If they had tried better building up the the Earth Romulan War, it might have still held attention. Alas...was not meant to be I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I kinda enjoyed it. Haven't watched it in years. I get the complaints though.

Advertisement