Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are old fashioned dinners a thing of the past?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-and-ale-stew/

Started making this every couple of weeks. Its delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭3d4life

Now yer talkin :)

I've made it a couple of times since the weather got colder, does well in the slow cooker and with hotpot spuds on top. It really is good.

Coddle is delicious and a very comforting, easy to digest food if you're not feeling well. I like mine carrot free, and with lots of pepper/

Prefer the sausage browned, but will eat it either way. Must be high pork sausage.

I also like cabbage :)

I use both beef mince and beef steak pieces in my stew, with lots of potatoes, carrots, onions, herbs. Usually cook and leave it for a day or two before eating. Its always nicer the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Some people would argue that looks like prison food on a bad day.

:pac:

Proper coddle, not the fried/roasted abomination the unadventurous promote, would turn a bad prison day into a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Nobody should eat coddle. I wouldn't even give it to the dog.

If its made right its lovely

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I never liked 'carvery' type of cooking, hated Sundays as a child (early 80s) when the variety of ingredients was just not there. Fish fingers were my staple (a "difficult" child).

I like the idea of a stew, mostly mine consist of tomatoes, beans, herbs and medi style vegetables though. Beef stew needs a bit of help.

Traditionally though, Irish stew is very plain, and is primarily a way of making tough mutton edible.

Had coddle in Dublin once as a kid and hated it. Not quite as bad as tripe and drisheen though.

I don't think they are a thing of the past at all, but they need to be done right. I think the English do that type of food better. There's more variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

No there not a thing of the past.

Literally, this past hour I'm looking at a family/friends whatsapp group deciding what and should not go into a coddle.

What has been agreed on all sides is soft white bread covered in Kerry gold. Stacked 15 high on a plate. Room temp.

One member said only dairygold will do and god help him, the elders are tearing him a new one.

No there not a thing of the past.

Literally, this past hour I'm looking at a family/friends whatsapp group deciding what and should not go into a coddle.

What has been agreed on all sides is soft white bread covered in Kerry gold. Stacked 15 high on a plate. Room temp.

One member said only dairygold will do and god help him, the elders are tearing him a new one.

I would go with crusty bread. But you can't beat real butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I really don't like coddle or stew. Normally it's just tasteless slop.

Love a good Sunday roast but loathe bacon & cabbage. It remains me of my Sunday dinner in my grandmother's years ago where the bacon was cooked dry and the cabbage nearly stewed. We were almost forced to eat it so as not to be disrespectful. My dad is actually a pretty good cook other than when he replicates this childhood horror.

Smell, taste, texture, has put me off it for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I never liked 'carvery' type of cooking, hated Sundays as a child (early 80s) when the variety of ingredients was just not there. Fish fingers were my staple (a "difficult" child).

I like the idea of a stew, mostly mine consist of tomatoes, beans, herbs and medi style vegetables though. Beef stew needs a bit of help.

Traditionally though, Irish stew is very plain, and is primarily a way of making tough mutton edible.

Had coddle in Dublin once as a kid and hated it. Not quite as bad as tripe and drisheen though.

I don't think there's anything you could do with tripe and drisheen to make it more appetizing, tripe cooking smell like some manky dishcloth being boiled to bejasus and as for drisheen which turns grey when boiled, yuk! Grey is not a good colour on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Four in the house here.

We eat a proper Sunday dinner every week, mostly steak, beef or organic chicken.

We would have week dinners together pretty much every day. Something broken if the kids have swim training but none of that at the moment. Weekday dinners would be traditional today was booked ham, mash with cheese roast cauliflower.

Breakfast together most days.

We’ve intentionally done this since we had kids and eldest is 18 now.

Food is a big social aspect for us. We cook together, bake lots. Read our own meat, chickens for eggs, grow vegetables. Even youngest loves cooking. Saturday past she made breakfast/lunch/dinner for us all and she’s 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

530498.jpg

That'd bring a tear to a widow's eye.

I think I could eat coddle if the sausages were grilled or fried first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Is Drisheen still a thing?

Is Drisheen still a thing?

I don't know, but will have a look in the English Market when I'm there next out of interest.

Don't even know what exactly it is, just remember the sliminess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think it's bits of sausages and potatoes and carrots in a watery mess. Like something I'd expect to be served in a Victorian prison. I've lived in Dublin most of my life and never actually seen it or heard of anyone I know eating it.

My nephews little lad referred to it as “Willie soup” when he was younger. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Stew and a roast are probably the only 2 dishes that I cook on a regular basis. We might have a roast twice a month.

My MIL isn't Irish so my husband didnt grow up with Irish foods. I guess its part of the reason we dont have alot of the typical irish dinners.

My own mother wasnt great in the kitchen so a steak and kidney pie from a tin was a regular in our house. Actually bar Sunday dinners most veg came in the form of tinned peas or tinned beans. If she ever cooked broccoli it was yellow by the time it hit the plate.

jrosen wrote: »
    Stew and a roast are probably the only 2 dishes that I cook on a regular basis. We might have a roast twice a month.

My MIL isn't Irish so my husband didnt grow up with Irish foods. I guess its part of the reason we dont have alot of the typical irish dinners.

My own mother wasnt great in the kitchen so a steak and kidney pie from a tin was a regular in our house. Actually bar Sunday dinners most veg came in the form of tinned peas or tinned beans. If she ever cooked broccoli it was yellow by the time it hit the plate.

That would make me marry a foreigner too.

I don't know, but will have a look in the English Market when I'm there next out of interest.

Don't even know what exactly it is, just remember the sliminess of it.

It's still available, spotted in in two different places in the English market today including the place at the Grand Parade that only sells it and tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Boiled sausages are about as good as they sound.

That’s like someone advocating for well done steak over rare, and dismissively saying “raw meat is as good as it sounds”.

You might be right about a sausage boiled in plain water. Fortunately, that’s not what’s involved in coddle. An unbrowned sausage, simmered in stock, infusing the flavours of the onion, carrot and black pepper, rubbing bubbling shoulders with the potatoes and the rashers, is simply delicious. Coddle, like any good dish, is greater than the mere sum of its parts, or the method of its preparation.

There’s a zen-like simplicity to it that isn’t fashionable any more, in a world that expects complications, demands unnecessary interventions. The idea that food has to be browned to be cooked “properly” betrays an academic knowledge of cooking that lacks any deeper understanding. You call it “poverty food”, but it has a spiritual richness unsurpassed.

As Bruce Lee would have said if he grew up in The North Strand “Don't think. FEEEEEEEEL! It's like a boiled sausage pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on the sausage, or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!"

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    It's still available, spotted in in two different places in the English market today including the place at the Grand Parade that only sells it and tripe.

Wow. I know tripe is used in other cuisines like Polish and Nigerian I think, but drisheen? Someone must be buying it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd do chili more than stew but love a stew. Maybe I'll make one this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Bowlardo wrote: »
    You can beat a good stew is cold weather

But you can't beat your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I remember my neighbour babysitting me one evening when I was a child and my mom told me to behave myself. She asked me if I'd like coddle for dinner and even though I didn't know what it was I said yep, I love it. She gave me this bowl of grey water with what looked like fingers floating in it. I ran upstairs in tears and refused to come back down.
    When my mom came to collect me I got marched downstairs and told to eat what I had been given. I absolutely hate coddle ever since, scarred me for life 😡

Wow. I know tripe is used in other cuisines like Polish and Nigerian I think, but drisheen? Someone must be buying it!

I can't imagine there are too many people under the age of 70 who enjoy tucking into a plate of drisheen. I recently overheard an older guy buying tripe in that shop, in response to being asked what type he wanted, "honeycomb" came the reply "only the best for me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I reckon that if there was ever an eating contest on that I could eat a full butchers lamb in one sitting.no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Candie wrote: »
    I've made it a couple of times since the weather got colder, does well in the slow cooker and with hotpot spuds on top. It really is good.

I put a cup full of lentils in it instead of his recommendation of flour to thicken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I love when I call in to the home place and my mother offers me a bowl of stew. No fancy vegetables or notions, old school stew like it should be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Porklife wrote: »
    I remember my neighbour babysitting me one evening when I was a child and my mom told me to behave myself. She asked me if I'd like coddle for dinner and even though I didn't know what it was I said yep, I love it. She gave me this bowl of grey water with what looked like fingers floating in it. I ran upstairs in tears and refused to come back down.
    When my mom came to collect me I got marched downstairs and told to eat what I had been given. I absolutely hate coddle ever since, scarred me for life ��

That's sounds like a brilliant memory for you.
    My father still eats tripe, to be honest never liked the look at the thing in the pot, I usedto think it was santas beard as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That’s like someone advocating for well done steak over rare, and dismissively saying “raw meat is as good as it sounds”.

You might be right about a sausage boiled in plain water. Fortunately, that’s not what’s involved in coddle. An unbrowned sausage, simmered in stock, infusing the flavours of the onion, carrot and black pepper, rubbing bubbling shoulders with the potatoes and the rashers, is simply delicious. Coddle, like any good dish, is greater than the mere sum of its parts, or the method of its preparation.

There’s a zen-like simplicity to it that isn’t fashionable any more, in a world that expects complications, demands unnecessary interventions. The idea that food has to be browned to be cooked “properly” betrays an academic knowledge of cooking that lacks any deeper understanding. You call it “poverty food”, but it has a spiritual richness unsurpassed.

As Bruce Lee would have said if he grew up in The North Strand “Don't think. FEEEEEEEEL! It's like a boiled sausage pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on the sausage, or you will miss all of the heavenly glory!"

Browning then sausages makes it better for all the obvious reasons. Boiled sausages don’t have as much flavour as browned sausages because... of the browning.

Just basic cooking. Coddle can be tasty but has to be done well. Boiling is very traditional but doesn't add flavour. Browning does.

Advertisement