Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Christmas Guide 2020

Options
  • 25-11-2020 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭

It will be coming out on Monday, the 7th of December.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

branie2 wrote: »
    It will be coming out on Monday, the 7th of December.

Can’t wait, love going through it and planning out the movies to record/watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

I'd say they are busy photoshopping masks all over the cover.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    Can’t wait, love going through it and planning out the movies to record/watch.

I do that every year and attempt the crossword.... then give up and do the smaller much easier crosswords... but I have an idea for the cross word this year!
    touts wrote: »
    I'd say they are busy photoshopping masks all over the cover.

And it'll be the same 5 RTÉ heads that'll be on the cover.... Pat Shortt will be there for some unknown reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CRPJ

Last year's cover was quite nice, choosing to go for cartoon animals over Pat Shortt, Tubs, etc. Would love a repeat of something similar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

CRPJ wrote: »
    Last year's cover was quite nice, choosing to go for cartoon animals over Pat Shortt, Tubs, etc. Would love a repeat of something similar

It was and it told a story inside as well.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    ...... but I have an idea for the cross word this year!

Oh, go on, tell all?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I miss the Guides from 15 or so years ago when they had some decent articles. The reviews of the year on music and film were always good.

Oh, go on, tell all?!?

So every year I attempt it and try to solve it and after about 10-12 answers I give up and the guide usually gets lost or ends up in the bin.

This year I'm proposing, after Christmas as there is usually 60-70 clues, we take one per week and try to solve it, and we can only move onto the next one after the first one is solved or after a week.

So by December 2021 we should have a complete crossword.

If we are falling behind as we get closer to Dec-21 we can ramp up on the clues :)

I like it. Another way to stretch the Christmas spirit through out the year.

I like it. Another way to stretch the Christmas spirit through out the year.

Exactly :)

• Advertisement

Maybe it could be a thread for next year. You could put the clue up at the start of each week, people could make guesses (cover them with spoilers) and then you could give the answer at the end of the week (assuming you get it:))

Just a though.

Maybe it could be a thread for next year. You could put the clue up at the start of each week, people could make guesses (cover them with spoilers) and then you could give the answer at the end of the week (assuming you get it:))

Just a though.

Good idea, it'll deffo be getting it's own thread in January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I usually have a decent bash at the jumbo crossword in the guide, never finished it though, there's always a few real tricky (impossible) ones!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I usually have a decent bash at the jumbo crossword in the guide, never finished it though, there's always a few real tricky (impossible) ones!

That's why I'm hoping good minds and all that together should be able to crack it, and if not sure it'll be a bit of craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I enjoy reading the film section, finding out the films that will be on the telly over the Christmas.

branie2 wrote: »
    I enjoy reading the film section, finding out the films that will be on the telly over the Christmas.

Circling thrm and then not watching them is one of my oldest Christmas traditions!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Circling thrm and then not watching them is one of my oldest Christmas traditions!

Deleting 15 or more of them off the sky box to free up space has become one of my Easter traditions.

touts wrote: »
    Deleting 15 or more of them off the sky box to free up space has become one of my Easter traditions.

I might or might not have more than one movie from last Christmas still there!!

I might or might not have more than one movie from last Christmas still there!!

We still have the gruffalo from 2014!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I've it done bar one.

...and the Latin will have the end of it, in short. ?t?

It's doing my head in. ETC fits but I can see it in the clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I've it done bar one.

...and the Latin will have the end of it, in short. ?t?

It's doing my head in. ETC fits but I can see it in the clue.

The crossword wasn't as hard this year. I did it in one sitting and etc is what I put in. Et is Latin for "and" and etcetera is put "at the end of a list", in short being etc instead of etcetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

tscul32 wrote: »
    The crossword wasn't as hard this year. I did it in one sitting and etc is what I put in. Et is Latin for "and" and etcetera is put "at the end of a list", in short being etc instead of etcetera.

I was thinking that way but I can't convince myself to out a C in without a hint in the clue.

I agree it was much easier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

we started circling the films to watch but I noticed they include Disney + & Sky channels so left it until I cross out all the ones we not able to watch first !
    Ive children now looking for Disney+ as picture for the film in RTE guide.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I was thinking that way but I can't convince myself to out a C in without a hint in the clue.

I agree it was much easier this year.

Maybe the "and the" isnt actually part of the clue as such. I did have the same issue with the "c", but maybe the "and" isn't for the "et". "Latin" and "end of it" and "in short" could be all that's needed...etcetera and etc.
    We could be reading too much into it. Or maybe "et" for Latin and. Then the end of etcetera (after the et) is cetera and in short that could be "c". Either way, etc is the answer, but I agree that I'd be happier if I could see it 100% instead of just 98%.

Think we need crossword answer spoilers!!

Think we need crossword answer spoilers!!

How do I do that, on my phone usually?
    Or is it just add
    testing

tscul32 wrote: »
    How do I do that, on my phone usually?
    Or is it just add
    testing

Just answered my own question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

I have it all read. :D The Polar Express is on Sky One tomorrow @5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

The selection of films on Christmas Day is terrible this year! Just my thoughts?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TK Lemon wrote: »
    The selection of films on Christmas Day is terrible this year! Just my thoughts?!

Its been getting worse and worse the last five years or so for two reasons:

1: streaming services eat the rights for the better known films
    2: Sky make huge efforts to get everything else behind their paywall

Advertisement