Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French winger Christophe Dominici dead at 48

• 24-11-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭

Christophe Dominici has died suddenly in France.

Great player, RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »

Great player, RIP.

Such sad news. RIP

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/1331256665228914688?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Desperately sad, such an exciting player to watch in his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

jesus no age at all

Great player, RIP.

what a player.

scored at least a few against Ireland

he spoke in the past about his battles with depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fecking hell...that's terrible news

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Very sad news. Only 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sad to see a relatively young man pass away, You probably remember him from the 1999 RWC FRA vs NZ.
    Amazing talent and speed.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

glasso wrote: »

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thats my abiding memory of the little ******

When he was on form, he was brilliant. So typically French from that era. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Multiple news outlets are reporting that Christophe Dominici, the former French winger who was part of the legendary team that defeated the All Blacks in the 1999 World Cup semifinal has died tragically in Paris.

The Irish Times is carrying a statement issued by his former club, simply stating that he passed away.

French outlets such as the sports daily L'Equipe are reporting more fully on the tragic aspects of the case. Apparently he had been suffering from depression for some time.

Dominici was a star of the French team in the 1990s/2000s. In that semifinal he played a blinder, scoring one try and making another for his team mate Lamaison. France came back from a near impossible deficit early in the second half to blow the All Blacks away with an unrelenting series of attacks and a determination to take whatever points were on offer quickly. Lamaison dropped a couple of goals and scored a few penalties before Dominici put them in front with a brilliant opportunist try.

They then cemented their lead with two more tries, leaving the All Blacks utterly shell shocked and demoralised.

Another less flattering episode for which he might be remembered was his mistake in a 6N game (against Italy I think) when he ran through unopposed to score a simple try but then dropped the ball under the posts with the nearest defender still at the 22m line (if memory serves) His pout of disgust, which was comically replayed several times in slow motion by the delighted TV producer was memorable indeed.

A terrific player, in the traditional flamboyant style of classic French backs which seemed to go out of favour for a while but which mercifully seems to be coming back into vogue now. I can think of no greater tribute if that French Flair were to re-emerge as a force in world rugby.

RIP mon brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Was shocked to read this. A wonderful player and one of my favourite players, can especially remember that game against the All Blacks, he was magnificent. He leaves behind some magical moments. My thoughts are with his family at this tragic time.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭swiwi_

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sad to see a relatively young man pass away, You probably remember him from the 1999 RWC FRA vs NZ.
    Amazing talent and speed.
    RIP.

Probably?

Still haunts my nightmares

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Tragic.
    Great player.
    My memory is that he always scored against Ireland
    Typical try v Ireland in RWC 2003 -29th min
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLt6fA8_27Q
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tragic and so desperately sad. RIP Christophe. Feel so much for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think it is worth saying he died to suicide. This month especially. When Dan Vickerman died in Australia it made us all try harder. Check in on your mates, take care of yourself. Feel free to hit me up with a pm if you're feeling low on the news.

Tragic.
    Great player.
    My memory is that he always scored against Ireland
    Typical try v Ireland in RWC 2003 -29th min
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLt6fA8_27Q
    RIP

He was a real nemesis for Ireland alright (got 2 against Ireland in 2005 6N game)

Only Vincent "The-Grand-Slam-Hopes-Dasher" Clerc seemed to be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think it is worth saying he died to suicide. This month especially. When Dan Vickerman died in Australia it made us all try harder. Check in on your mates, take care of yourself. Feel free to hit me up with a pm if you're feeling low on the news.

Nice post
    You made me ring one of my old mates there

And think twice before you post. Some posters get on your nerves. But try to remain civil (speaking to myself here too).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Very sad news. He was the real thing. A flamboyant winger in the classic French mould. Always admired him even when he scored against us.

Repose en paix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭leakyboots

garbanzo wrote: »
    Very sad news. He was the real thing. A flamboyant winger in the classic French mould. Always admired him even when he scored against us.

Repose en paix.

Have always had a soft spot for attacking French flair (who doesn't I guess!) and he really did embody it. Used love watching him play and he struck fear into the All Blacks, not many players have done that.

So sad for his family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Burkie1203 wrote: »

An incredible image, but, also a poignant image as both greats of the game are no longer with us. Both gone long before their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Had to watch that ’99 game again.

NZ 24 v France 10 after 46 min
    24v13 47min - Lamaison takes a Drop Goal!!
    24v16 49 min - Then another Drop Goal! (pen advantage)

24v19 51 min - Pen on the 10m line from a scrum

24v22 55 min - Pen on the 10m line

& then on 56’ That classic Dominici try
    From an old traditional box kick by Galthie, Dominici races on to it and gathers it on the bounce one handed.

3 of France’s 4 tries were scored from kicks
    Check out his break for the 1st try.
    https://youtu.be/MppBGj-0QRM?t=1724

RIP Dominici

& thanks for reminding me that rugby was just as good and probably better in ‘99 than it is 21 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Had to watch that ’99 game again.

NZ 24 v France 10 after 46 min
    24v13 47min - Lamaison takes a Drop Goal!!
    24v16 49 min - Then another Drop Goal! (pen advantage)

24v19 51 min - Pen on the 10m line from a scrum

24v22 55 min - Pen on the 10m line

& then on 56’ That classic Dominici try
    From an old traditional box kick by Galthie, Dominici races on to it and gathers it on the bounce one handed.

3 of France’s 4 tries were scored from kicks
    Check out his break for the 1st try.
    https://youtu.be/MppBGj-0QRM?t=1724

RIP Dominici

& thanks for reminding me that rugby was just as good and probably better in ‘99 than it is 21 years later.

Don't forget the final proved to be a bit of a damp squid.

Don't forget the final proved to be a bit of a damp squid.

https://memes.yarn.co/yarn-clip/b2fb91af-f828-407c-a25a-743518964cd4

glasso wrote: »

Bonus marks if you know what a squib is.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Bonus marks if you know what a squib is.

ça va sans dire

• Advertisement
Advertisement