Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Godfather III, Director's Cut

Options
  • 23-11-2020 1:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So looks like there's a new cut coming of the famously maligned Godfather 3; complete with a new title. "Mario Puzo’s The Godfather Coda: The Death Of Michael Corleone". It'll be released to some cinemas & later home release.

Apparently it will have new start & ending sequences, with other scenes re-arranged. Sofia Coppola has been digitally replaced with Wynonna Ryder (only joking)

Comments

Confession, I've never watched it.... Seen the first two multiple times but sort of concluded that the 70s will always be Coppola's golden years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Are they going to cut that interminable opera scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Confession, I've never watched it.... Seen the first two multiple times but sort of concluded that the 70s will always be Coppola's golden years.

It's not as bad as some like to make it out to be. It's just unnecessary. But there's a couple of dreadful performances in it, like Sophia Coppola. Andy Garcia isn't much to write home about either - although I never though much of him in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Think Godfather 3 is beyond redemption. If they can turn this film around it will be nothing short of a minor miracle. Storyline really flagged. Al Pacino, so good in 1&2 really overdid the bursts of shouting in 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Extended falling off a chair scene?

• Advertisement

At the risk of a shunning, I liked Godfather 3.

Be thankful they aren't rebooting it with Ryan Gosling as Michael Corleone. People would be begging for Al to get mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

I'm looking forward to it. The Baroness and I have watched parts 1 and 2 in the past week and we'll watch part 3 before the Directors Cut is released.

The third one is grand, if a bit too long. A lot of the problems were out of FFC's hands. He wanted 6 months to write the script but the studio only gave him 6 weeks etc. its a pity Robert Duvall and Wynona fell through. The film definitely needed the Tom character.
    It's not as bad as people say. Half of those people probably haven't even seen it. Andy Garcia is solid in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm the same. I haven't avoided it, I've just never watched it. I think it was nominated for best picture wasn't it? It can't be that bad! But I've just never felt it was important for me to watch it to close the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

blue note wrote: »
    I think it was nominated for best picture wasn't it? It can't be that bad!

Yeah the Oscars have never let any duds get nominated for Best Picture over the years, ever. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I'm looking forward to it. The Baroness and I have watched parts 1 and 2 in the past week and we'll watch part 3 before the Directors Cut is released.

The third one is grand, if a bit too long. A lot of the problems were out of FFC's hands. He wanted 6 months to write the script but the studio only gave him 6 weeks etc. its a pity Robert Duvall and Wynona fell through. The film definitely needed the Tom character.
    It's not as bad as people say. Half of those people probably haven't even seen it. Andy Garcia is solid in it.

I got the boxset of the 3 of them years ago. Watched them on consecutive days.
    1 and 2 are excellent. It's a huge drop in standard for the 3rd. Especially when you have seen 1 and 2 so close to watching the 3rd instalment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

Yeah the Oscars have never let any duds get nominated for Best Picture over the years, ever. :pac:

Ah, you get plenty that aren't amazing, but they're rarely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Part three grew on me over the years. I think the ending is perfect as it is. He died the opposite of his father, alone, in a villa in Sicily. That was his doing, sadly, he deserved it.
    Looking forward to seeing Coda, the Death of Michael Corleone.

Advertisement