Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JohnGreenFan's Music Walrus

Options
  • 19-11-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hello and welcome to JohnGreenFan's first ever walrus!!!

What is Walrus?
    Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. Standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories, & a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) & the host judges all the songs in each category.

Why Am I Doing This?

Basically, I'm sick of coming last in everyone else's walrus games!
    But also because I love discovering new music.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?
    Mostly pop/indie music, though I'll listen to just about anything once! I'm not much of a country music fan so country songs probably won't do very well here. On the other end of the scale, metal and screamo music wouldn't really be my cup of tea either. Current artists I'm listening to include Dermot Kennedy, Vistas, Birdy, Blackpink, and Fleet Foxes.

So onto the main reason you're here.... The Categories!!

1. We Need A Little (New School) Christmas
    (Yes it's November, but my tree is assembled in the sitting room awaiting lights and decorations, and when the judging time comes around it'll be December so no complaining!)
    Send me your favourite new Christmas song! I'll allow anything from the last 10 years - preferably not a cover of an older song.

2. Karaoke Classics
    Christmas nights out were always dangerous for these sort of songs... none of that this year! Send me your go to song when someobody hands you a microphone.

3. First Dance Songs
    I'm in the midst of wedding planning so I want to hear your favourite first dance songs - alternative, pop, old school, I want them all!

4. A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That...
    I love hearing songs and thinking hey, I've heard this before, and searching out the sample that's being used. Send me a song that samples another song in it!

5. A Song That Reminds You of Home
    Everyone has one or two songs (or 10) that they associate with their family and being at home - send me yours!

6. A Song You've Currently Got On Repeat
    Let's see what everyone is loving at the moment - send me a song that you've got on repeat.

7. Who Runs The World? GIRLS
    Beakerjoe recently had a category for boyband songs, so let's show the girlbands some love! Send me your favourite girlband song.

8. Working From Home Instrumentals
    I adore listening to music while I work, especially instrumental music so I don't get distracted by the words :p send me your banging instrumental tracks to brighten up my work from home office.

Submissions and Deadline
    Please submit songs to me via PM. I'll be listening on Spotify so if there's a particular version of the song you want me to use, send on the link along with your submission.
    I'm going to leave submissions open for about two weeks so I don't interfere with any other walrus, so the provisional closing date is Friday, December 4th. I'll aim to run in the next two weeks after that, other games depending.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

8 ... good man John. See you in your DMs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I'm not much of a country music fan so country songs probably won't do very well here.
    ...that's me out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Deja Boo wrote: »
    ...that's me out

I just entered a load of country anyways

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

...that's me out

Enter anyway! Maybe yours will be the country song that will change my opinion! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

And in.. enjoy!

200.gif

...that's me out

You will finish above me even with 8 country songs so do ittttt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Whats working from home? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

is this your first walrus?

tusk wrote: »
    is this your first walrus?

MY FIRST EVER WALRUS

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »
    Whats working from home? :-/

it's great, you'd love it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

1. We Need A Little (New School) Christmas
    (Yes it's November, but my tree is assembled in the sitting room awaiting lights and decorations, and when the judging time comes around it'll be December so no complaining!)
    Send me your favourite new Christmas song!
    https://twitter.com/MirrorCeleb/status/1329697236037472258?s=19

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Entries in... Felt good to flex those Walrus muscles again...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I will try to get an entry in over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

and selections sent.

I thought a couple of the categories would give me a hard time, but it all came to me naturally.

5. A Song That Reminds You of Home
    Everyone has one or two songs (or 10) that they associate with their family and being at home - send me yours!

Anyone else struggling with this one? Or does my family just suck? :eek:

I was listening to the song I chose for that one at the time I was selecting :pac:

I did find that one a bit of a struggle alright, but moreso because my experience and definition of "home" and "family" isn't exactly traditional, so my choice for that one is probably a bit out there compared to what others will go for, although it is defintely the most represantative of me and my interpertation of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

emmm, I may need to change my selection, it's not very homey :o

(I am terrible at these games)

emmm, I may need to change my selection, it's not very homey :o

(I am terrible at these games)

I'd argue that the majority of Walrus categories are pretty much open to interpretation in fairness. What you've chosen already is grand I'm sure, you're probably better off not overthinking it.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Anyone else struggling with this one? Or does my family just suck?

I went for a hometown artist even :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,542 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will try to get an entry in over the next few days

Me Too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I’ve entered. Looking forward to the Christmas song cat, it was one of the toughest to pick

Tipping away nicely here with 8 players!
    Our entrants so far are:

Necro
    Trigger
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Irish Aris
    Green&Red
    Deja Boo
    Sawduck
    ShaneU

Still plenty of time for entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Maybe post it in the upcoming forum games thread?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Maybe post it in the upcoming forum games thread?

that's a good call, never thought of that! Thanks ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Any chance we can pick a christmas song that's a bit older? Say about 20 years? Counts as modern in my book :)

osh wrote: »
    Any chance we can pick a christmas song that's a bit older? Say about 20 years? Counts as modern in my book :)

I'd prefer newer but as long as you're not submitting Bing Crosby or Jingle Bells, I'll consider it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Sound, hah no it's an original song and it's my favorite one.

Also really don't know if I could put myself through having to listen to more recent christmas songs in the hope I like one :D

• Advertisement

osh wrote: »
    Sound, hah no it's an original song and it's my favorite one.

Also really don't know if I could put myself through having to listen to more recent christmas songs in the hope I like one :D

There's lots of good ones out there :)

Advertisement