Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

annual tax saver ticket - 2 months free

Options
  • 23-11-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

i am cureently looking at getting an annual tax saver ticker for a train fare. The montyoy cost is is 392 pm and the annual cost is 3920. From what I can make it out the way the ticket bills is a so called 2 months 'free'where 392 would be deducted gross from salary for 10 months of the year(i assume jan - oct) and nothing deducted nov and dec.

Is there any behind why its just isn't simply 12 payments of 327 pm?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Annual tickets have long been 10 times the monthly fare

It should be 3920/12 = 327 thats how most places run this on payroll.

But thats between you and your HR, the refund if cancelled is based on 10 months so it makes your HR dept life easier to charge over 10 months, but I've never seen this done...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Please note that Annual products are based on a 10 month rate, with two months free and this discount is withdrawn if the ticket is cancelled so the refund/credit is based on the regular monthly rate by the number of months used.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/

So the annual ticket is discounted by 2 months. Hence the 10 month billing cycle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the ticket purchased outright by the employer at the start of the period (at the reduced rate), or do they pay for it on a monthly basis, for ten months?

i always had assumed it was the former. that the ticket is the price of ten monthly tickets, not that it's billed as a monthly ticket price for ten months.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

thanks for the replies.

is it possible to purchase a tax saver ticket on a monthly basis? i know there woud no point paying 12 times the monthly rate as it would be 120% of the annual price but im just thinking of if after 6 months someone decided it wasnt worth it and took a different mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭TheJet

jdooley28 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies.

is it possible to purchase a tax saver ticket on a monthly basis? i know there woud no point paying 12 times the monthly rate as it would be 120% of the annual price but im just thinking of if after 6 months someone decided it wasnt worth it and took a different mode of transport.

I used to get the tax saver ticket on a monthly basis. At the time, I worked for a small business so it was better for both of us. Also I used to take 2 weeks holidays in August so I didn’t need to get a ticket for that month, I just drove or got a drive from someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

TheJet wrote: »
    I used to get the tax saver ticket on a monthly basis. At the time, I worked for a small business so it was better for both of us. Also I used to take 2 weeks holidays in August so I didn’t need to get a ticket for that month, I just drove or got a drive from someone else.

Cheers that makes sense, i wasnt sure if a monthly was possible to buy as a tax saver as it just seems to say annual everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its more paperwork for your employer. that was my employers justification for annual only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

jdooley28 wrote: »
    10 months of the year(i assume jan - oct) and nothing deducted nov and dec.

Doesn't have to be a calendar year. Mine always ran from 1 May to 30 April.

Advertisement