Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the fuKk happened to Great Britain ?

Options
  • 23-11-2020 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

I'd say after the UK breaks up they're looking at England splitting in 2 North /South

They don't seem to have a clue what they're doing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

'Great Britain' was a term coined by John Dee.

John Dee used to look into a mirror and claim he was talking to angels and demons.

That's what happened.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd say after the UK breaks up they're looking at England splitting in 2 North /South

They don't seem to have a clue what they're doing

I watched Children of Men over the weekend, set in 2027 the UK has become a police state as the British Army rounds up and imprisons or executes immigrants. It won't happen but it's kinda scary how close this is to becoming a reality when you consider the Home Office ran campaigns telling people to report illegals immigrants, what happened the Windrush generation, and when you see boats carrying news reporters following and harassing boats full of asylum seekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

buried wrote: »
    'Great Britain' was a term coined by John Dee.

John Dee used to look into a mirror and claim he was talking to angels and demons.

That's what happened.
    Great Briton refers to the large island, Brittany (Briton Ní) refers to small Briton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

It's harsh as I grew up there myself but I think they have nothing if they're not taking it from someone else by force

atr2002 wrote: »
    Great Briton refers to the large island, Brittany (Britton Ní) refers to small Briton.

That's great man, but I'm talking about what Dee coined 'Great Britain' which included all the overseas areas they wanted to stamp their mirror worshipping faces all over, not 'Great Briton' or 'Brittany' or whatever else you are on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That's great man, but I'm talking about what Dee coined 'Great Britain' which included all the overseas areas they wanted to stamp their mirror worshipping faces all over, not 'Great Briton' or 'Brittany' or whatever else you are on about.

Did Dee not coin British Empire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Go back asleep OP. They'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭atr2002

Smee_Again wrote: »

Sure did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

atr2002 wrote: »
    Sure did

Thought so. Don’t know what that other poster is talking about then.

Smee_Again wrote: »

Its the same thing, 'The Great British Empire' is what he coined. That is where you get the direct result of ' Great Britain'. There was no 'Great Britain' before he coined the phrase in order to convince his queen to conquest the Americas.

• Advertisement

Its what happens when an Empire implodes in on itself, with a significant proportion refusing to accept whats happening, and still thinking they're Great Britain.

Stiff upper lip, some piping hot tea and crumpets, and Tally Ho Old boy isn't going to get them out of it.

Their politicians aren't serving them well either.
    Pity, they're not the worst, other than an 800 year old neighbour dispute over property.

I think we should invade when they're at each others throats. Our armour would be in Milton Keynes before they realised what we were up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Its what happens when an Empire implodes in on itself, with a significant proportion refusing to accept whats happening, and still thinking they're Great Britain.

Stiff upper lip, some piping hot tea and crumpets, and Tally Ho Old boy isn't going to get them out of it.

Pity, they're not the worst, other than an 800 year old neighbour dispute over property.

I think we should invade when they're at each others throats. Our armour would be in Milton Keynes before they realised what we were up to.

You start the invasion, give us a shout after Christmas.

Our army would land in fishgaurd, get distracted in wales,go native and start shagging sheep

You start the invasion, give us a shout after Christmas.

I'm more a facilitator than hands dirty type.

Our army would land in fishgaurd, get distracted in wales,go native and start shagging sheep

Maybe we wont use any Connaught soldiers so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

All empires must fall and **** the British to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,909 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Its the same thing, 'The Great British Empire' is what he coined. That is where you get the direct result of ' Great Britain'. There was no 'Great Britain' before he coined the phrase in order to convince his queen to conquest the Americas.

Rubbish. The Greek cartographer and scientist Ptolemy referred to the island as “μεγάλη Βρεττανία” (megale Brettania - Great Britain) in his book Almagest from 147 AD. Interestingly enough, he referred to the island of Ireland as “μικρὰ Βρεττανία” meaning Little Britain.

Equivalents of the term “Great Britain” in various languages long precedes the British Empire, and denotes the relative size of the island, not ‘great’ in terms of excellence.

King James VI’s official title in 1604 was “King of Great Brittaine, France and Ireland”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Never going to happen.

How would we feed the prisoners ? The UK isn't self sufficient in food as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

You colonise the world and the world colonises you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The decline started in 45 after the war

• Advertisement

Rubbish. The Greek cartographer and scientist Ptolemy referred to the island as “μεγάλη Βρεττανία” (megale Brettania - Great Britain) in his book Almagest from 147 AD. Interestingly enough, he referred to the island of Ireland as “μικρὰ Βρεττανία” meaning Little Britain.

Equivalents of the term “Great Britain” in various languages long precedes the British Empire, and denotes the relative size of the island, not ‘great’ in terms of excellence.

It's not rubbish Gregor. Dee's usage of the term 'The Great British Empire' had literally nothing to do with what you are talking about. Ptolemy referred to a land called 'Britannia' which meant in the classical tongue 'Prittania' = the land of the printed people, which adhered to the print mark tattoo's on their faces and bodies. It had no 'Great' influxed into the term. The term 'Great Britain' and 'The Great British Empire' was coined by him to help convince Elizabeth the First to instigate a conquest of The America's based on the supposed conquest of a Welsh warlord and druid who supposedly discovered the continent of the America's 800 years previous. It is this term, the term of 'Great Britain', a term coined based on Dee's advice, a man who spoke into mirrors and believed he was talking to Gods, a man who is buried in a ditch somewhere on the bank of the Thames river, a term that afterwards was used by the likes of the EIA and their ilk to try to trample all over the face of the globe. Not Ptolemy. You cant blame the Greeks on this one. So get your facts straight before you go around throwing around labels such as 'rubbish' that are actually not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Not if we ask good aul Gerry to lead them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Their government is incompetent. They mismanaged the country even before Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

It's harsh as I grew up there myself but I think they have nothing if they're not taking it from someone else by force

It's a pyramid with the queen on top and everyone pushing and shoving to get closer to the top. The thing is, if they got on on top they'd be another despicable horror show that wouldn't help a single neighbouring family made homeless in Grenfell towers despite literally living in a palace.

Britain would be grand without the monarchy. Everybody could stop hating themselves.

King James VI’s official title in 1604 was “King of Great Brittaine, France and Ireland”

Well done for proving my point with your edit. Elizabeth ruled until 1603, so no doubt Jamesy carried the Bull$hit with him in 1604.

Well done for proving my point with your edit. Elizabeth ruled until 1603, so no doubt Jamesy carried the Bull$hit with him in 1604.

How about the reference in 1474, in the proposal for marriage between the daughter of Edward IV of England and the son of James III of Scotland which said “this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee” ? Dee have a time machine?

Face it, there’s loads of actual evidence the term was in use - in English and other languages - long before the Empire. You’re talking rubbish.

What armour?

How about the reference in 1474, in the proposal for marriage between the daughter of Edward IV of England and the son of James III of Scotland which said “this Nobill Isle, callit Gret Britanee” ? Dee have a time machine?

Face it, there’s loads of actual evidence the term was in use - in English and other languages - long before the Empire. You’re talking rubbish.

Nah man, you'd want to start facing the fact that the term of 'Great Britain' the term of 'The Great British Empire' was coined by a lunatic. So its not so difficult to gleam where ye ended up. The term of 'Great Britain' used in its former and now defunct form for the conquest of the globe didn't start when Ptolmey or Edward IV were out and about, and the place of 'Gret Britania' was nothing but a sheep rearing swamp, the term was coined for conquest of other nations, and that term was coined by a lad who looked into mirrors and believed he was talking to a God. Dee probably did think he had a time machine. He was certainly f**ked up enough in the head to think he had. And what thanks did he get for it? Buried in a ditch and his house burned.

Nah man, you'd want to start facing the fact that the term of 'Great Britain' the term of 'The Great British Empire' was coined by a lunatic. So its not so difficult to gleam where ye ended up. The term of 'Great Britain' used in its former and now defunct form for the conquest of the globe didn't start when Ptolmey or Edward IV were out and about, and the place of 'Gret Britania' was nothing but a sheep rearing swamp, the term was coined for conquest of other nations, and that term was coined by a lad who looked into mirrors and believed he was talking to a God. Dee probably did think he had a time machine. He was certainly f**ked up enough in the head to think he had. And what thanks did he get for it? Buried in a ditch and his house burned.

But Dee didn’t use the term “Great British Empire”, and the Empire never had that title! Dee coined the term “Brytanici Imperii” - the British Empire. He didn’t use the term “Great” in relation to it. “Great Britain” was and is specifically the island. You’re whole argument is based on a misunderstanding of the term he used.

• Advertisement

But Dee didn’t use the term “Great British Empire”, and the Empire never had that title! Dee coined the term “Brytanici Imperii” - the British Empire. He didn’t use the term “Great” in relation to it. “Great Britain” was and is specifically the island. You’re whole argument is based on a misunderstanding of the term he used.

Its not a misunderstanding. The term the Great British Empire was coined from the fact he chose to refer to it as a 'Empire'. That's where 'The Great British Empire' originates from. That is the history of it. That is the fact of it. Your argument was that the Greeks coined it back in the time of ancient Greece or the Noman kings were about, a time when the island was as p!ss poor as any other small island on the fringes of nowhere.

Advertisement