Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the legal situation surrounding speed camera calibration and proof thereof?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Del2005 wrote: »
    If industry has to keep a record to prove that their equipment is working correctly why can't the people supposed to enforce our laws? Surely correctly kept records is the basis of law.

It's not like it's difficult to calibrate a tool and provide a record that the operator is trained on it, every manufacturer manages it, but a force that can't count how many breath tests its done isn't required to improve its processes they change the law to make inaccurate record keeping OK!

why do you assume they don't keep those records?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

If industry has to keep a record to prove that their equipment is working correctly why can't the people supposed to enforce our laws? Surely correctly kept records is the basis of law.
    They don't have to, if they want FDA approval then it's part of the deal but there's nothing forcing them to do so, also, what makes you think the gardai don't calibrate their equipment, aren't trained in operation and don't keep records - they certainly do, it's just not a legal requirement for prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was me I'd go to court with the user manual for the car and its logbook and show there's no possible way the car could achieve that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If it was me I'd go to court with the user manual for the car and its logbook and show there's no possible way the car could achieve that speed.

How would that prove anything? You would have to lead expert evidence. The user manual is hearsay. The logbook doesn't prove anything about the potential speed of the vehicle.

126349754_10157820463037810_4816572464468101112_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=sHg-o3b-cP8AX_B0L_R&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=588f833f1ee226ef2b8bb9988e194d8f&oe=5FDC89EC

EEK! Might have a chance though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

why do you assume they don't keep those records?

Why would they make it a law that they don't have to provide them if they did?

Why would they make it a law that they don't have to provide them if they did?

To stop time wasters constantly looking for calibration certificates etc, time and money, think they were also caught with their pants down on a breathalyzer in Swords (think) several years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

It can be easily done.

The calibration details should be published online on a publicly visible database.

Each camera should have an equipment number.
    If you're issued a fine the camera number should be detailed on the FCPN.

So you can reference the calibration data online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bladespin wrote: »
    To stop time wasters constantly looking for calibration certificates etc, time and money, think they were also caught with their pants down on a breathalyzer in Swords (think) several years back.

Someone potentially loosing their licence is a time waster? Our courts are full of time wasters yet its only motorists who are penalised by moving the goalposts instead of fixing the system.

Why would providing a calibration certificate take time? I can find the information for any tool in my company in a few seconds.

Someone potentially loosing their licence is a time waster? Our courts are full of time wasters yet its only motorists who are penalised by moving the goalposts instead of fixing the system.

Why would providing a calibration certificate take time? I can find the information for any tool in my company in a few seconds.

That's Irish government for ya, not my policy, but as someone who provides calibration services, I questioned it many years ago and am just sharing what I've learnt, if you have an issue you should raise it with your local TD.

Re, providing the calibration certificate, so can I, for over a thousand pieces of equipment, but that's pretty amazing tbh, most large companies (and government bodies) have different departments that cover calibration, then another for records etc so it gets to the point where it can take an age to get anything (personal experience with large medical multi's and govt bodies). Again, we're talking Irish CS here so toi get that cert would take a lot of time and money and would have to be done for literally every case, and if someone did get off due to that technicality then everyone would look for it (Me too btw) so they cut that one off at the knees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement