Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Game Awards 2020

• 18-11-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭

EnHiw5rVgAMQ4iZ?format=jpg

Other Nominations

Best Performance
    Ashley Johnson, The Last of Us Part II
    Laura Bailey, The Last of Us Part II
    Daisuke Tsuji, Ghost of Tsushima
    Logan Cunningham, Hades
    Nadji Jeter, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Best Multiplayer:
    Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    Among Us
    Call of Duty: Warzone
    Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
    Valorant

Best Ongoing Game:
    Apex Legends
    Destiny 2
    Call of Duty Warzone
    Fortnite
    No Man’s Sky

Best Art Direction
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Hades
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    The Last of Us Part II

Best Score/Music:
    DOOM Eternal
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Hades
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    The Last of Us Part II

Best Narrative:
    13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Hades
    The Last of Us Part II

Best Independent Game:
    Carrion
    Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
    Hades
    Spelunky 2
    Spiritfarer

Best Mobile Game
    Among Us
    Call of Duty Mobile
    Genshin Impact
    Legends of Runeterra
    Pokémon Café Mix

Best Esports Game:
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    Fortnite
    League of Legends
    Valorant

Best Esports Athlete:
    Ian “Crimsix” Porter
    Heo “Showmaker” Su
    Kim “Canyon” Geon-bu
    Anthony “Shotzzy” Cuevas-Castro
    Matthieu “ZywOo” Herbaut

Best Game Direction
    Final Fantasy VII Remake
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Hades
    Half-Life: Alyx
    The Last of Us Part II

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Time to get annoyed when last of us cleans up when it should only be winning best score.

Also hate that indies and triple A are separate. This year's indies are better than anything the triple A studios produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looking forward to the Geoff Keighley presents: 'Geoff Keighley Appreciation Night' I mean the game awards. With everything that's happened this year I'm expecting very little in the way of announcements(as that is what this show is basically about) but maybe Kojima might show something as I imagine he's been hounded by Geoff, that's if he hasn't changed his phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I haven't played Hades (I haven't played many games at all this year looking at those nominees) but I think it should easily win best art direction. It looks gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Also hate that indies and triple A are separate. This year's indies are better than anything the triple A studios produced.

Hades is representing for both.

I think Animal Crossing should get a special recognition for game that kept people relatively sane.
    Don't play it myself but going from what I see.

Laura Bailey to win for having to put up with the crap she had to?

Could still be announcements. It's not like they come with release dates or even releases in the case of games like Insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Laura bailey is a fantastic actress though. Can't fault her performance in last of us 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hades is easily my game of the year. Can't understand how Doom Eternal got nominated, it a big, big disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well that was a pain to vote for, melted my phone. E sports 'athlete' for fuk sake.

Disappointed i haven't played any of the 'games for impact', need to rectify that. Hardest choice was choosing between Ashley Johnson and Laura Bailey. I went with Ellie as she just went to another level with her performance but I'm kind of hoping Laura wins. Would be great for her AND Abby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Give us an Elden Ring trailer, lads. Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've played 3 of the games in the entire list of catagories. I think I'm gaming wrong.

Out of all those games, I played Last of Us 2 and a wee bit of Fall Guys

• Advertisement

The game selection just highlights how garbage these awards are when it boils down to a public vote.

Hades and Aegis Rim are up for best narrative yet Last of Us 2 is going to inevitably get more votes than those two games have sold combined. They're pretty much Token mention that won't win outside of a 4chan hacking campaign, which would but Gabe Newell as the winner rather than those two anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The important thing to remember about The Game Awards is they may want to be seen as the Oscars of gaming, but really they’re the MTV Movie Awards / Nickeloden Kid’s Choice Awards of gaming.

The important thing to remember about The Game Awards is they may want to be seen as the Oscars of gaming, but really they’re the MTV Movie Awards / Nikeloden Kid’s Choice Awards of gaming.

I only watch it for the new game reveals.

Now to remember how to decode each of the variations of "Exclusive"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The important thing to remember about The Game Awards is they may want to be seen as the Oscars of gaming, but really they’re the MTV Movie Awards / Nikeloden Kid’s Choice Awards of gaming.

The Game Awards can only aspire to the level of prestige enjoyed by the MTV Movie Awards/Nickelodeon Kid's Choice awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Best Ongoing Game:
    Apex Legends
    Destiny 2
    Call of Duty Warzone
    Fortnite
    No Man’s Sky

... Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

What would be considered the Oscars of gaming? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The fact that Last of Us Part II is on there just shows how it's a popularity contest. Outside of the journalists who got given free copies and were told to leave out the whole Abby plot in the review, on overwhelming number of gamers hated it. And not because the neck beards don't like muscular women, it was just a boring ****ing game where the characters were nothing like the original. The entire Abby plot should have been cut by 90% and the ending was a joke. I will never play this game again.

I didn't care too much for Ghost of Tsushima but I still enjoyed the story when I was done. I just don't care enough to get the trophies or side missions.

And people were upset over Resident Evil 3 for being shorter than the original, not an issue compared to what LoU2 was.

Game of the year should be something that got everyone playing or something that was really enjoyable. I'm getting 100% in Spiderman and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, really enjoying them. Obviously older, but the experience as a whole is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Best ongoing game = Apex without a shadow of a doubt.

this game is responsible for me playing very little else in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The fact that Last of Us Part II is on there just shows how it's a popularity contest.

Ah, not really. Theres not much competition this year with Cyberpunk getting delayed until next year. I havent played TLOU2 myself but would be surprised if it won it considering a lot of disappointment with it. If FF7R wins it ill be mad, that was an absolute sh!t show of a game.

I can see Ghost of Tsushima winning it tbh, thats the one that seems to have gotten the higher of praise out of the bunch, Hades also but just to a lesser extent.

They also gave it to Sekiro last year, so it doesnt appear to be as big of a popularity contest as most here are letting on, then again i havent been paying attention to these awards for very long, just the last 2 years and tbh, they've been on the money both years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

nix wrote: »
    Ah, not really. Theres not much competition this year with Cyberpunk getting delayed until next year. I havent played TLOU2 myself but would be surprised if it won it considering a lot of disappointment with it. If FF7R wins it ill be mad, that was an absolute sh!t show of a game.

I can see Ghost of Tsushima winning it tbh, thats the one that seems to have gotten the higher of praise out of the bunch, Hades also but just to a lesser extent.

They also gave it to Sekiro last year, so it doesnt appear to be as big of a popularity contest as most here are letting on, then again i havent been paying attention to these awards for very long, just the last 2 years and tbh, they've been on the money both years.

I was a huge fan of TLOU but I stopped playing TLOU2. found it so long winded and slow. Took me a while to decide to do that because so many reviews gushing over it. but the reality was it was a dissapointment to me.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The fact that Last of Us Part II is on there just shows how it's a popularity contest. Outside of the journalists who got given free copies and were told to leave out the whole Abby plot in the review, on overwhelming number of gamers hated it. And not because the neck beards don't like muscular women, it was just a boring ****ing game where the characters were nothing like the original. The entire Abby plot should have been cut by 90% and the ending was a joke. I will never play this game again.

This is the problem with awards, people have different opinions. Two of my friends have played TLOU2 and now rank it as their favourite game ever. So it clearly did something right.
    But your opinion of the game is no less valid. Award shows (especially for games) are always going to cause arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I thought TLOU2 was good overall but I cannot remember such a narratively bloated game.

Some games pad out playing time with busy work around an open world but TLOU2 did it with story. "Here, play the game all over again with this person."

I remember muttering "Seriously?" when the final act began. It just wouldn't end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

This is the problem with awards, people have different opinions. Two of my friends have played TLOU2 and now rank it as their favourite game ever. So it clearly did something right.
    But your opinion of the game is no less valid. Award shows (especially for games) are always going to cause arguments.

Yeah, to be fair it's all based on opinions so not everyone will agree which is fair enough and I believe the Game Awards voters are from a lot of journalists and the like but that's the problem. There seemed to be a big difference between what reviewers thought and what a majority of gamers thought.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of plenty mediocre games, reviews aren't the end all and be all and of course you need to check several outlets, but it seems a lot of reviewers kept quiet about parts of the game and didn't criticise it much. The length of the game is a fair criticism without being too negative and even that barely came up from what I saw.

But as someone else mentioned there also wasn't much out this year. Although I think the Star Wars game that came out last year is a contender for this year's awards, but then there's the issue of anything November/December being forgotten about.

Was thinking of starting Jedi Fallen Order soon. But then, Cyberpunk is 3 weeks away. And I've enough to play as is.

Just play a souls game. Fallen order is just ****souls.

Advertisement