Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fatman - Mel Gibson as Santa.

• 08-10-2020 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭

Mel Gibson as Santa

Walton Goggins as the hitman trying to kill him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

Mel Gibson would be a great Wolverine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

that looks all kinds of ridiculous in a good way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What in the hell did I just watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Yeah, surprisingly on board with this.

I'd watch Walton Goggins in anything, and it looks like good Mel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

It's like "Die Hard" meets "The Santa Claus Movie"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Ridiculous, Hollywood hitting a new low.......Im in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Why are we getting a gritty remake of the fake action Santa movie from Scrooged?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,905 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's like "Die Hard" meets "The Santa Claus Movie"

I was thinking Die Hard Bad Santa :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://ew.com/movies/fatman-trailer-mel-gibson-santa/
    in select theaters Nov. 13 and on digital Nov. 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Did someone in a meeting say lets make a life action South Park episode?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't quite get the sense on what the tone this film is going for; if that's the fault of the trailer. Some moments seem to play it dead straight, others with very knowing winks. If the final film is that scattershot in execution, it mightn't be as fun as the premise implies.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched this today and it was just a fun hour and a half.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Didn't watch the trailer but the kids are always up for a Santa movie, so I'm going to pop this on for them before I go out later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not sure if this one is aimed at kids in fairness?

Doesn’t look like a jolly Christmas tale, more of a die hard action film with Santa being at risk of assassination

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not sure if this one is aimed at kids in fairness?

Doesn’t look like a jolly Christmas tale, more of a die hard action film with Santa being at risk of assassination

That's the joke :)

Is this a pay to stream in Ireland or have Prime/Netflix picked it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

brevity wrote: »
    Mel Gibson would be a great Wolverine.

I don't know. I just wouldn't be able to get past the part about him being a bit of a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

43% on RT

I'm not sure it's the best way to work out if this is actually decent or not though. Critics generally don't like Comedies

I'll wait to see what a few more on here think after they watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    43% on RT

I'm not sure it's the best way to work out if this is actually decent or not though. Critics generally don't like Comedies

I'll wait to see what a few more on here think after they watch it

I'd go with the audience score, 82% is competent at least.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Just watched it,
    Mel Gibson is still such a badass but the film itself felt confused.
    Is it a comedy? Nope.
    Action flick? Nope.
    The 1st hour meanders along without anything really happening and i was gonna switch off and save for later but the last 20 mins made me sit up and pay attention. The final standoff had a WTF moment and the epilogue was very good. But it's a 5/10 film at best
    Gibsons wild eyed "The Fatmans got his eye on you" will be quoted a lot of times over xmas i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I lasted 15 mins with this and ten with Borat 2

The bar for what's supposed to be a decent film these days is far too low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The trailer for this was incredible. The film - not so much. It’s all over the place as mentioned above. And a bit... boring tbh. Until the last 20 mins.

I was thinking of Christmas Chronicles when watching it - both are films with an excellent central performance as Santa Claus, you just wish Gibson and Russell were playing those characters in better movies.

A shame, was hoping this would be a cult classic but I can’t see me watching this in my Christmas rotation next year.

Advertisement