Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone getting an M1 Mac?

• 19-11-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Just ordered the M1 MacBook Air (not due to deliver until 21 Dec :()

Anybody else getting an M1 Mac now that the reviews have more or less confirmed the hype?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

I'll be getting the 14.1 mini led macbook pro when it comes out next year (maybe sometime in the 3rd quarter). tipping away grand on my macbook pro 2010

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm still trying to get over the shock of shelling out 2K for an MBP with a terrible keyboard 2 years ago.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

iniall wrote: »
    Just ordered the M1 MacBook Air (not due to deliver until 21 Dec :()

Anybody else getting an M1 Mac now that the reviews have more or less confirmed the hype?

Yip. Extremely tempted by the base air with upgraded storage. Had the second gen Air and it’s still my favourite computer of all time. Loved the form factor. It’s odd, the 8gb of ram seems perfect by all accounts, although it feels wrong as my 2015 MBP has 16.

Curious to see what they do with MBPs. I’m guessing that 13 inch wont be around for too long.

this will explain a bit why these M1 chips are so fast and why 8gb ram is more than enough for the vast majority of us and wouldn't be on intel chips
    https://blog.metaobject.com/2020/11/m1-memory-and-performance.html

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Getting the base MBA next week when I’m paid. I was going to go for 16GB but upon review it seems 8GB is strangely perfect for my needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Very tempted by the MBA, but I'd be keen to know how certain applications get on. Remote Desktop would be the big one for me (in the times we're in). I'm getting conflicting reports. One I found said that it runs but is so slow its unusable. Another one said it was fine, but it was a random guy on reddit, so its hard to know at this stage.

Would kill me to get one and find that the one application I'd use the most (at least at the moment, due to working from home) wouldn't work too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm sorely tempted. Everything I do is in the Microsoft stack development wise. So my main Laptop or Desktop will always be a windows machine. But increasing most of my stuff is on the cloud.

If I got one it would be like a fancy chrome book to play with.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Lack of Docker and .Net 3.1/5 problems under Rosetta 2 mean I'll be waiting a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tom1991

Lack of Docker and .Net 3.1/5 problems under Rosetta 2 mean I'll be waiting a while.

Same boat for me that and the rigmarole around docking and two displays means it’s a miss this time for me.Be interesting to see what the 16 does in March.That and maybe re learning all the code/visual studio keyboard equivalents are my two blockers.Slick device shame there’s no windows laptop that really matches the MacBook Pro experience there’s some that does x better or y worse or has some fatal flaw that’s a deal breaker.The surface laptop has been close but shoots itself in the foot with some decisions it makes thunderbolt/fanless etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Def tempted for a pro. I was watching for refurb 16inch but its a big chunk of money.

only the air and macbook pro 13 incher have the m1 chip at the moment. i wouldn't be getting a mac intel, new or refurbished due to the m1's big jump in performance/watt

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1331735383193903104 -- He goes into more details in this twitter thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Was about ready to pull the trigger on an M1 Mac Mini. Price compared to the equivalent i5 Mini is quite good. Only thing holding me back is the ability - or lack of - to run VirtualBox which I use a lot. How long before companies start to release native apps I wonder, or maybe wait for 6 months for the M2 which will inevitably arrive along with more native apps.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My 2012 iMac is giving me intermittent problems and I suspect the drive is on its last legs. Not much point in getting an intel replacement so I'm torn between going for a Mac mini or waiting for the rumoured 24 inch iMac, which I'm guessing I can't get until next summer. One of the reasons I'm hesitating on getting the Mini is by the time I ramp up the RAM and storage, get a new monitor, new mouse and some kind of hub for devices it probably won't be much cheaper than a new iMac. The only disappointment about these new M1 machines is the inability to add storage or RAM yourself later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I too am waiting out for the mid-tier iMacs, which I presume are coming Summer / WWDC 2021.

I'm comfortable jumping in on this gen silicon as I figure their release cycle will be:

21: iMac M1
    22: iMac M1, but with new design chassis (maybe an M1X)
    23: iMac M2

But instead of grabbing the "big" iMac, I'll only get the rumoured 24-inch, then save for the M2 or M3 iMac down the road.

• Advertisement

a bit of a downer but i haven't read anything that pulls it all together
    https://hardware.substack.com/p/falling-out-of-love-with-apple-part1 long long read , 3 parts but worth it , yes i will still buy an m1 .... eyes wide open though

a bit of a downer but i haven't read anything that pulls it all together
    https://hardware.substack.com/p/falling-out-of-love-with-apple-part1 long long read , 3 parts but worth it , yes i will still buy an m1 .... eyes wide open though

I think we'll struggle to find any modern hardware or software that isn't spying on us in some ways. Apple does it slightly better and more under handed. maybe. But as you say eyes wide open. Its really up to Govts to stomp that out.

I disagree with some of that article. I don't think Jobs was altruistic in the slightest. He was always the ruthless business man. I mainly used macs before OSX. Apple back then did exactly the same things with propriety parts and apps. Being a one stop shop for everything always been the core of Apple model. Wintel was always the open box. Really you are buying into that ethos as much as anything. That has always been true.

If I buy a M1 it will not be my main machine. It will be used as Cloud/Chrome book. Seems perfect for that.

I wonder when they remove the limitations of the M1. Storage, memory and GFX tightly bound to the CPU will that significantly hurt the performance.
    Or will they avoid that by staying this segment of the market. Small laptops and SFF Desktops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

beauf wrote: »
    I wonder when they remove the limitations of the M1. Storage, memory and GFX tightly bound to the CPU will that significantly hurt the performance.
    Or will they avoid that by staying this segment of the market. Small laptops and SFF Desktops.

I haven't read any analysis of the M1 architecture that says that it significantly hurts the performance. Quite the opposite. M1 is clearly just the beginning of what Apple is planning. Their stated aim is to implement this architecture across all segments of their lineup. They've said it will take 2 years to complete. If they were just going to concentrate on the small laptops and desktops, they'd be pretty done already.

It's that tight integration that really helping it's performance. It's why there are limitations with multiple screens and other things etc. This is Apples 5th ? architecture.

beauf wrote: »

posted this earlier in the thread but posting it again, it explains the ins and out of the chip , why it's so fast, why microsoft/qualcomm is weakish in comparison but most of all why Intel seems to be snookered with very few options (that part is towards the end)
    https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2 . 25 min read but worth it, in my opinion

posted this earlier in the thread but posting it again, it explains the ins and out of the chip , why it's so fast, why microsoft/qualcomm is weakish in comparison but most of all why Intel seems to be snookered with very few options (that part is towards the end)
    https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2 . 25 min read but worth it, in my opinion

My point remains. This type of approach only suits certain types of computers, and computing.

I was about to but is it true that Windows can’t be installed on them like the Intel ones? Can you still buy Intel ones? (Air).

• Advertisement

I was about to but is it true that Windows can’t be installed on them like the Intel ones? Can you still buy Intel ones? (Air).

There are ways of getting Windows on it using VM parallels and the arm versions of Windows. But it's kinda all early beta. I'm sure it will come. Though I think I wouldn't buy one if I needed Windows.

Advertisement