Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James + Happy Mondays - 3 Arena - 1st Dec 2021

• 18-11-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Ahhhhh, the ticket drawer is no longer empty. Even if it ends up our first/only gig of next year, I can wait.

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭flasher0030

desk tidy wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, the ticket drawer is no longer empty. Even if it ends up our first/only gig of next year, I can wait.

:D

I was just hoping for a James gig. but James and Happy Mondays on the one night. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

Very surprised to see them play in the point. Wouldn't have thought a large arena would be required to meet demand.
    Tickets are 49e plus booking fee, so decent price for the point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

aidz wrote: »
    Very surprised to see them play in the point. Wouldn't have thought a large arena would be required to meet demand.

a lot of sh1te acts will fill the three arena when normality resumes. Lots of pent up demand

s8n wrote: »
    a lot of sh1te acts will fill the three arena when normality resumes. Lots of pent up demand

Would you put James and Happy Mondays in the "****e acts" category .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Would you put James and Happy Mondays in the "****e acts" category .

average acts, yes. Happy Mondays were a novelty act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

James are hugely underrated and overlooked. I guess they kind of orchestrated their career towards the overlooked part by been adventurous and not trying to make Laid 2.

They are a terrific life band. I am very surprised they are playing the 3 arena of all places. A very soulless place and I can't see it been a full house. In fact their tour itinery is full of huge arenas. A funny move off the back of one of their weakest albums.

Here's hoping for their new album! (All the Colours of You) due for release May 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭Zardoz

aidz wrote: »

I've been noticing the trend over the last 15 months that MCD are putting alot of bands in the 3Arena that really don't belong there.
    Its probably since Livenation took over MCD fully.

Livenation/Ticketmaster own the 3Arena so they can reduce costs being the promoter and owner and the layout can be varied to cater for different capacities.

There is a lack of a decent 5k capacity venue in Dublin.

In saying that though some of the acts scheduled for the 3Arena recently have no business being there, they are playing theatres in the UK.

James are hugely underrated and overlooked. I guess they kind of orchestrated their career towards the overlooked part by been adventurous and not trying to make Laid 2.

They are a terrific life band. I am very surprised they are playing the 3 arena of all places. A very soulless place and I can't see it been a full house. In fact their tour itinery is full of huge arenas. A funny move off the back of one of their weakest albums.

Here's hoping for their new album! (All the Colours of You) due for release May 2021.

They really are.
    Their epitaph will always read as being the creators of Sit Down. Which is a shame as they have dozens of better tunes. Even the albums in the past 10 years have been impressive. Love La Petite Mort. Some great tunes - Walk like you, All I'm saying.
    I saw them back in the Olympia couple of years ago. Was fantastic. some of that will be lost in the vastness of the 3Arena. But I'll still massively eny it if it goes ahead.
    I reckon Sometimes is up there with one of the best written/structured songs of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭thebronze14

Heading to this and have tickets for the Manchester gig too...All going well catch a lower league game in Greater Manchester the day after

Got tickets for this at Christmas. Surely it will go ahead in december!!!

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster changed my standing tickets to seating 😒

From looking what tickets are available online, i expect a half full venue

Easy to get down to standing. If you know someone down there even better

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Deag4

Any one know if any other bands are on the line up

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Does anyone know the schedule - what time are they on stage?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

doors open at 6, placed to be empty by 12, so id imagine HM would do an hour between 8:00 and 9:00 and James from 9:30 - 11:00 ish

but thats all purely my opinion, i havent seen any schedule.

judging by the ticket sales this might end up being a very "intimate" gig.... 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Groupb27

James were brilliant. If they were playing tonight I would definitly go again. Fantastic atmosphere. There was a fair sized crowd there. The happy mondays just went through the motions.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

James were absolutely brilliant last night. sonically as great as ever. Its the healthiest ive seen Tim Booth in years as well.

that was probably my 5th or 6th time to see them and it would be right up there as a memorable gig. Lucky enough to be part of the standing area and even though i was awake since 5:30am yesterday the music and crowd had me dancing all night.

Loved hearing Gold Mother, dont think ive heard them play that live before, and its such a quirky brilliant tune. delighted they did my fav "not laid album" james song in Just like Fred Astaire.

plenty of the classics mixed in with the new songs. 'Pleased to meet you' and 'getting away with it all messed up' were stand outs. The poignant story before 'Sit down' and the solo intro was a stand out. 'Laid' as the closer was perfect. 'walk like you' a great sing a long. The newer songs of beautiful beaches, miss america and zero were well received as well.

Deborah and Chloe are great additions and bring loads of energy, even though Tim never needs any extra. DBP doing his best Charlie Watts as well :D

of course i had loads of "wish they played..." but after 36 years and 16 albums there always will.

hopefully the next time i hear them ill be in a field somewhere on a warm sunny summers day doing my best flaying arms bunny hop dance :)

edit:

just realised tim booth is 61 years old !!! wtf !!!!

Post edited by sydthebeat on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Really enjoyed that James gig. Only the 3rd time ive seen them but already craving for another. Hopefully its not as long when they return next time.

Gold Mother and GAWI were my personal highlights.

Met quite a few UK fans who made the trip over for it. Loved the venue with the reduced capacity. Managed to get onto the floor too.

They didnt come onto stage until 910pm i think. Anyone an idea what time they finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Advertisement

Was at both this and the Manchester gig. The Dublin gig was brilliant but the Manchester one was on another level. Looking around at a full stadium singing along to every song was brilliant, especially considering the shite year with gigs and the shite news that had just come out about gigs at home. I always liked James but this was the first times I've seen them and they are formidable live!

Advertisement