Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tried and tested Christmas Dinners (I want your tips!)

• 18-11-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

Lots of helpful advice here on buying the turkey and ham so now I'm after dinner ideas. First time cooking dinner at home and I am hands up not a huge sunday dinner lover (far too many years of the same repetitive dinner) so would love tips on how to elevate it...good stuffing, ideas for veg...whatever you've got! And starters too :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Take the legs off the turkey, bone, stuff and roll them.
    Lots of youtube videos on how to do this.
    Probably my favourite part of the turkey!
    I use a nice malty, granary bread crumbed, butter, onion and lots of fresh parsley and thyme and any other fresh herbs you have and season well.

Now, this part, no people have a problem getting their heads around but I've done it maybe six times with really excellent results.

Poach your turkey crown.

After taking the legs off, cut the back off the bird (lovely stock to be made with the bones) to leave a turkey crown. If you can, take out the wishbone, too (Youtube).
    Then poach the crown in stock (knorr chicken pots are fine).
    About an hour usually works for me but search Richard Corrigan for more details.
    Then brown the crown, breast down in a frying pan with lots of butter for that roasted look.
    Result: Gorgeously, juicy, tasty, moist turkey breast that carves beautifully.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2011/1004/746313-richard-corrigans-christmas-turkey/

Cook your ham the day before and serve it cold on the day.
    It's nicer cold, and it's something else you don't have to worry about on the say.
    Same for spiced beef if having it.

Very interesting piece on brining which I'd read before deciding to brine your turkey.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html#flavor

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Very interesting piece on brining which I'd read before deciding to brine your turkey.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html#flavor

It's a very interesting read, thanks for posting the link.

Personally, I feel that if I need to brine my meat (any meat) then I need to think twice about the quality of it.

The Richard Corrigan turkey crown poaching is very interesting worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭phormium

That is interesting about the brining, I did it once, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I think some herbed butter under the skin definitely helps.
    Using a proper temperature probe is key to know where you are at.

But resting the turkey for an hour, is probably the simplest advice because it give you time to get everything else perfect, particularly those roasties, whilst giving you oven space.

I swear by (9 turkey dinners and counting) a good quality bronze turkey. Its a little smaller but definitely more delicious particuarly the skin. Last couple of years, I pick them up in aldi/lidl for like €30/35 for a 4.5kg bird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO*'s legendary stuffing balls in the Cooking Club are widely used at Christmas :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056772901

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

BaZmO*'s legendary stuffing balls in the Cooking Club are widely used at Christmas :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056772901

And every other Sunday during the year. They're fantastic! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I cannot contemplate NOT stuffing a turkey. Old fashioned maybe but.......it's the way I've always done it.

Now this year :eek::eek::eek: as a departure from oven cooking the bird, I'll be "attempting" to cook mine on a Weber Smokey Mountain. Looked up loads on it, especially with those guys across the water doing a load the last few days, but mostly unstuffed. Saw a few stuffed and this is what I'll be aiming for.
    Got my Thermapen thermometer at the ready :)

• Advertisement

Well, it looks like I'm cooking Christmas dinner again this year after a few years off.
    But only for 4 of us!

Bit easier than cooking for the normal 12 to 15.
    I'm looking forward to it.
    Not sure what to get. Will definitely have rolled, stuffed turkey leg but might just skip the rest of the turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭phormium

I always do Christmas dinner for bulk of family, usually every second year varies between around 12 to 21 but this year it's just 4 for obvious reasons! Family can't come from abroad.

Freezer is your best friend for prep if you have one and room in it, if you haven't and you have space pick up a small secondhand one, I have an undercounter 4 drawer version I bought for 50 euro on FB and it's very handy for occasions like Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Well, it looks like I'm cooking Christmas dinner again this year after a few years off.
    But only for 4 of us!

Bit easier than cooking for the normal 12 to 15.
    I'm looking forward to it.
    Not sure what to get. Will definitely have rolled, stuffed turkey leg but might just skip the rest of the turkey!

It's got to be quality instead on quantity. A couple of ducks maybe? Or quail? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Venison?

Not a standard issue meat, so treat status.
    Expensive (why? it's wild; people pay to shoot it) for prime cuts, but compensated by sizing for 4, not 12.

Advertisement