Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop feeding birds on the spot???

Options
  • 16-10-2020 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi, this question is really for bird lovers and not those who will tell me that birds sh*t around and should be got rid of.

I have been feeding birds since March this year, from the day I started to work from home and when I noticed all the little creatures around me. I have 1 small and bigger feeder in the garden and was buying a proper seed mix to accommodate all "tastes".
    Sadly, some people are bird haters and they dont care about anything but themselves. A neighbour complained to my landlord who now wants me to dismantle the feeders immediately. I said that the birds dont bother anyone and the bird-hater just likes to complain about anything (weather, cars, pandemic, life) but my landlord wants them gone NOW. He is one of those landlords who doesnt give a damn about you and your opinion.

Can I just stop feeding birds on the spot, so called "cold turkey"? I would have loved to do it gradually, decreasing the amount of seeds and eventually stop it but the neighbour will defo cause me trouble and I could even get a notice of termination because of that. The winter is coming and this is the worst time to stop feeding them. I feel awful.

What do you suggest? The birds, all kinds of them, are my daily dose of joy, I can recognise some of them and feel totally broken for being forced to stop feeding them on the spot. There is no other spot to feed them as I am surrounded by roads and other houses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Hi, this question is really for bird lovers and not those who will tell me that birds sh*t around and should be got rid of.

I have been feeding birds since March this year, from the day I started to work from home and when I noticed all the little creatures around me. I have 1 small and bigger feeder in the garden and was buying a proper seed mix to accommodate all "tastes".
    Sadly, some people are bird haters and they dont care about anything but themselves. A neighbour complained to my landlord who now wants me to dismantle the feeders immediately. I said that the birds dont bother anyone and the bird-hater just likes to complain about anything (weather, cars, pandemic, life) but my landlord wants them gone NOW. He is one of those landlords who doesnt give a damn about you and your opinion.

Can I just stop feeding birds on the spot, so called "cold turkey"? I would have loved to do it gradually, decreasing the amount of seeds and eventually stop it but the neighbour will defo cause me trouble and I could even get a notice of termination because of that. The winter is coming and this is the worst time to stop feeding them. I feel awful.

What do you suggest? The birds, all kinds of them, are my daily dose of joy, I can recognise some of them and feel totally broken for being forced to stop feeding them on the spot. There is no other spot to feed them as I am surrounded by roads and other houses.

Do you know anyone near by that you could give the feeders to and at least the birds won't go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Do you know anyone near by that you could give the feeders to and at least the birds won't go hungry.

No, the neighbour who complained lives next door and is outside smoking every 30 mins, others are tenants who dont even respond hi to anyone.
    It's awful looking at the birds outside all day today waiting for a bit of seeds and I cant give it to them. What the heck is wrong with people and their hatred for birds and animals in general.
    If i feed the birds anyway can i really be evicted because of that? I dont even know what their issue is other than showing me who is the boss in here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

At this time of year there's plenty of other food around - seeds, nuts, invertebrates etc., so it's fine to stop feeding them now. A sudden withdrawal if food in the winter would be more detrimental.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

TBH, I'd cover your neighbours garden in birdseed. Sure I know it's wrong but and I am not advocating you to do it.

lordgoat wrote: »
    TBH, I'd cover your neighbours garden in birdseed. Sure I know it's wrong but and I am not advocating you to do it.

I survived only 4 days without feeding the birds and it was awfully painful to watch. Four days is nothing for us but for birds it can literally mean life and death, especially after I read that birds (depends on the species) can survive only 48h with no food. It would have been easier for me if the little creatures came for the seeds, saw that it's nothing there and left to find a new source of food but this was not the case. They were hanging out around the place for the whole 4 days and it really bothered me that despite having a 30kg bag of freshly bought seed mix I could not give it to them. It's weird how such a small thing can cause so much drama but I was really upset that while you do the right thing you get punished by ignorant assholes with "power".
    I decided to f*ck my neighbour/landlord's requests and feed the birds anyway. Landlord said to dismantle the feeders which technically I did. I now put the seed on the ground where it's hardly visible and I do it in the night just before i go to bed. I worry about the local cats, plenty of them here but it's a wide open space so it's rather hard for them to creep up on the birds.
    The only thing that the smoking neighbour can see is a bit of birds pushing each others on the ground in the morning.
    I feel like a criminal in hiding that looks over his shoulder but given the choice I have I am ok with it. If I have to fight losing the apt because of it then I will see my landlord in the RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I survived only 4 days without feeding the birds and it was awfully painful to watch. Four days is nothing for us but for birds it can literally mean life and death, especially after I read that birds (depends on the species) can survive only 48h with no food. It would have been easier for me if the little creatures came for the seeds, saw that it's nothing there and left to find a new source of food but this was not the case. They were hanging out around the place for the whole 4 days and it really bothered me that despite having a 30kg bag of freshly bought seed mix I could not give it to them. It's weird how such a small thing can cause so much drama but I was really upset that while you do the right thing you get punished by ignorant assholes with "power".
    I decided to f*ck my neighbour/landlord's requests and feed the birds anyway. Landlord said to dismantle the feeders which technically I did. I now put the seed on the ground where it's hardly visible and I do it in the night just before i go to bed. I worry about the local cats, plenty of them here but it's a wide open space so it's rather hard for them to creep up on the birds.
    The only thing that the smoking neighbour can see is a bit of birds pushing each others on the ground in the morning.
    I feel like a criminal in hiding that looks over his shoulder but given the choice I have I am ok with it. If I have to fight losing the apt because of it then I will see my landlord in the RTB.

Well done! I was about to suggest just that! !! lol... Great minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Cats won't be your only problem. If you're putting food on the ground, you're very likely to attract rats.
    Putting it there at night is probably also a bad idea.

If you must, I would put it out first thing in the morning, and sweep up any unused in the evening.

wench wrote: »
    Cats won't be your only problem. If you're putting food on the ground, you're very likely to attract rats.
    Putting it there at night is probably also a bad idea.

If you must, I would put it out first thing in the morning, and sweep up any unused in the evening.

Agree totally.

Still a lovely way round the problem though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

My advice is to put the feeders back an carry on.You are not breaking any law and the landlord can not evict you, record any meeting with the landlord over this and let him know.I dont think the landlord will push this if you push back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I can understand you don't want hassle but I can't imagine there is much a landlord can do about you putting up a bird feeder. I'd see it the same as a garden chair.

Is there anywhere you can put it that is it of neighbours view.
    Spreading on the ground is good alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm puzzled here. What exactly is this neighbour complaining about? Unless you're attracting numbers of larger noisy birds like seagulls or crows, what is his problem?

It might be best to only feed the smaller birds,it would be a compromise as it may be the larger birds that are upsetting you neighbour.
    Put a cage around the feeder to keep the larger birds away

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Alun wrote: »
    I'm puzzled here. What exactly is this neighbour complaining about? Unless you're attracting numbers of larger noisy birds like seagulls or crows, what is his problem?

I believe the medical diagnosis is "a cantankerous cnut"

I believe the medical diagnosis is "a cantankerous cnut"

And far far easier in the long run to find a way to do as you want without making your home into a war zone.

He will find a new victim!

And these things that start small have a nasty way of escalating .

Trust me on that! Been there done that too many times now. I used to tackle it head on, but learned that quiet and devious works best.

That the birds get fed is what matters.. I think they call it diplomacy! And " going undergroumd!" Love it myself. ;)

upupup wrote: »
    My advice is to put the feeders back an carry on.You are not breaking any law and the landlord can not evict you, record any meeting with the landlord over this and let him know.I dont think the landlord will push this if you push back

Nah" This neighbour would really, really revel in that!

He would have a field day and make your life and the landlord
    s hell.

Why give him that devious satisfaction! Far more satisfying to feed the birds, which s the real object here, and hide it! It will actually drive him crazy!

( I have had some … interesting... neighbours!)

Graces7 wrote: »
    Nah" This neighbour would really, really revel in that!

He would have a field day and make your life and the landlord
    s hell.

Why give him that devious satisfaction! Far more satisfying to feed the birds, which s the real object here, and hide it! It will actually drive him crazy!

( I have had some … interesting... neighbours!)

Hiding bird food on the ground is going to bring in rats.I will be agreeing with the neighbour if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

OP, I know you said you don't know all the bird types (yet!), but what birds are you getting that you can recognise- I'm presuming you aren't getting lots of crows, so what exactly is the neighbour complaining about?

As others have suggested- don't leave any food out at night as that will definitely habituate rodents to visit.

and without patronising you, well done for taking the opportunity to do a good thing as a result of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Unless the OP is feeding hoardes of pigeons?

I see people sometimes leaving loaves of crumbled bread out for them - I’d not be a fan of
    this myself.

A 30kg bag of birdseed did you say? Did I read that right? I hang a few fatballs from the trees and they’d do for a few weeks - what kind
    of birds have you OP?

Maybe its a balcony only situation and they are
    flocking down on your neighbour?

If I was renting and had a smoker chugging away outside night & day next door I’d complain to his landlord - give them a few statistics on passive smoking & cancer & him ruining your peaceful and healthy enjoyment of your garden/balcony by his filthy & persistent habbit etc.

Lots of interesting novelty birds about this year - and not the kind that wear dresses!!

Unless the OP is feeding hoardes of pigeons?

I see people sometimes leaving loaves of crumbled bread out for them - I’d not be a fan of this myself.

A 30kg bag of birdseed did you say? Did I read that right? I hang a few fatballs from the trees and they’d do for a few weeks - what kind of birds have you OP?

Maybe its a balcony only situation and they are
    flocking down on your neighbour?

If I was renting and had a smoker chugging away outside night & day next door I’d complain to his landlord - give them a few statistics on passive smoking & cancer & him ruining your peaceful and healthy enjoyment of your garden/balcony by his filthy & persistent habbit etc.

Lots of interesting novelty birds about this year - and not the kind that wear dresses!!

No piggies or seagull here, but I think I saw 2 pigeons picking up the left overs a few days go, but that was something new to me. It's all nice and clean, not a seed on the ground left, no rats, no nothing.
    I am not bird biased and if piggies or seagulls wanted to come over for breakfast then they are very welcome. I like all birds and other animals with no exceptions.

Yes, I bought the 30kg bag of carefully selected bird seeds from the local pet shop, I re-fill my 2 feeders every second night (I do it in hiding now), as it's pretty much entirely empty by then. I dont know the English names of the birds I see but they are various tiny ones, some black birds that sing beautifully. The last bag lasted me for 2 months the last time so this one will be gone soon too.

I saw the neighbour taking a pic of a pigeon on his own tree and immediately texting someone. I bet he was sending the pic to my landlord. Great, now I am blamed even for the birds in the sky and flies/bugs around the dirty neighbour. The smoker owns his house so he is a king of his castle. If I complain to my landlord about the cigarettes' smell he will tell me to move so can't play the same card they do. I will wait for their move and will react legally and accordingly to the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

seriously thou - fifteen kilos of birdseed a month is a HUGE amount. Are you sure its not just blowing away in the wind? Thats two kilos a week - thats a serious amount of kilos of seed when you consider the size of little birds stomach.

It might be that it is attracting mice or vermin as no ordinary garden birds - even flocks of them visiting daily - could consume that much food. I’d have look at wastage - in a lot
    of the feeders there is a natural design flaw - the seed will slowly and continuously blow or trickle out the base - leading you to constantly refill and buy more stick/seeds.

Don’t be worrying about the neighbour taking photos of birds - it will make
    him a laughing stock if s/he tries to prove it was there only because it wanted your nuts!! Ignore them. Pigeons are a bird many hate and consider dirty regretfully so I’d be on my gaurd if
    it was them I was feeding.

birdwatchireland.ie have an A-Z of
    pictures of Irish garden birds which is fun to use to try and figure out what is in your garden. I take
    photos and then look them up to be sure I’m calling them the right thing! Then you can google their song on youtube and be able to identify them by ear - tricky but fun!

There is also the Irish Garden Bird Survey which starts in about 10 days time - a lot of families and schools get involved - you watch out for
    what comes to your feeder , identify it, and lot it on their website! They use it for annual staTistics to help identify populations and whether birds need to be put on the endangered list or their habitats conserved better. You should look it up!

It might also be of interest to your landlord as it is a national campaign and is often launched on RTE or featured on Nationwide.

Don’t get litigatious over it - you need to sound reasonable and your neighbour a nosey neurotic obsessed with futile persuits.

Lots of people feed the birds- just not 15kg a month. Are you sure!?!!! Thats in the realm of Ostriches!!! If this was the case your lL and neighbour would have serious grounds for complaint.

• Advertisement

upupup wrote: »
    Hiding bird food on the ground is going to bring in rats.I will be agreeing with the neighbour if that happens.

Rats are everywhere anyway. We just never see them.

And I agreed re not at night; very early morning on the ground is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I’d put the seeds on your neighbours car

No piggies or seagull here, but I think I saw 2 pigeons picking up the left overs a few days go, but that was something new to me. It's all nice and clean, not a seed on the ground left, no rats, no nothing.
    I am not bird biased and if piggies or seagulls wanted to come over for breakfast then they are very welcome. I like all birds and other animals with no exceptions.

Yes, I bought the 30kg bag of carefully selected bird seeds from the local pet shop, I re-fill my 2 feeders every second night (I do it in hiding now), as it's pretty much entirely empty by then. I dont know the English names of the birds I see but they are various tiny ones, some black birds that sing beautifully. The last bag lasted me for 2 months the last time so this one will be gone soon too.

I saw the neighbour taking a pic of a pigeon on his own tree and immediately texting someone. I bet he was sending the pic to my landlord. Great, now I am blamed even for the birds in the sky and flies/bugs around the dirty neighbour. The smoker owns his house so he is a king of his castle. If I complain to my landlord about the cigarettes' smell he will tell me to move so can't play the same card they do. I will wait for their move and will react legally and accordingly to the regulations.

You are doing great; but how about as the mornings are darker now, putting the food out very early to avoid it vanishing into rodents etc that are nocturnal?

Lucky birds!

And just ignore the neighbour, and that will annoy him

So sorry this is happening.

Advertisement