Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martini Action gun?

Options
  • 14-11-2020 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all,

I'm considering adding a Martini action to the collection. Preference would be for the proper Martini-Henry rifle but given the ammo is blackpowder handloads that's not a realistic option here.

Is anyone in possession of a Martini action shotgun or know where they might be available currently? I'll be looking for a restricted license to run slugs for that proper 'Zulu' feel

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You can get a greener for about 300 quid in the uk. I wouldn't shoot slugs through it though as its not the strongest of actions. Its basically just the shear strength of the pin that holds the block in place. And you would have to have a proper reason for slugs they wont just allow you shoot them willynilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

There are martini actioned .303's around. A lot of the old .450's were rebarrelled in the UK and as far as i can remember were issued to the home guard when hitler kicked off (its all they had). I have a BSA martini target rifle i bought to shoot benchrest, but its a lot different to the original military guns.

P.S. This dealer up in Newtownards has a couple advertised.

https://gundeal.co.uk/antique-make-various-antique-calibre-antique-guns-for-sale-348

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

There's some lovely target martini .22s out there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Hilltop dealer has/had a Greener shotgun in stock.
    I've shot beside a lad shooting a Greener SG in Gallery competitons, T&P1 and Multi-target. It was in the classic comp. And gets different timing for the competition.
    And there is your reason for a restricted license.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I have one rebarrelled to .22 hornet, sorry I did it now, but at the time I wasn't into shotguns. Its a lovely action, and the 22 hornet gives it a longer reach then the shotgun, but I would still go back if I could. I had an in-depth discussion with the gunsmith at the time, as i actually wanted to convert it to a 7.62 x 54R, but there was no way the gunsmith would do it, looking at the action. TBH, I'd be slow to use slugs unless you were certain it was well below the original pressures. The 22 hornet works well in the respect that you get a good bang and you can easily target shoot with it. Latest outing was after watching Zulu on the TV a few months ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

A Greener GP is a nicely balanced shotgun. Back in the day I owned one for fox shooting when we used to walk them up on windy nights. My reasoning was that if I broke the stock climbing some ditch or suchlike at night I wouldn’t cry crocodile tears as I would have with my Webley.
    I did experiment with a box of slugs and it was, at the time, as close to shooting an elephant gun as possible. There’s the odd one in dealers stocks. €300 or £300 ? I think you should pick one up for half that anywhere.

Obsolete calibre firearms can be held legally off ticket in the UK under section 58. If you look around you maybe able to find one in the UK and get it deactivated here ?

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/martini-henry-single-shot-22-rifles/rifles/994446

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    Obsolete calibre firearms can be held legally off ticket in the UK under section 58. If you look around you maybe able to find one in the UK and get it deactivated here ?

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/martini-henry-single-shot-22-rifles/rifles/994446

Not since this week, they cant. Or it has become even more difficult to own certain obsolete cals like .44 Russian and .32 Lago. as all of ..oh 7 gangsters were shot with them in the UK in the last few years?:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMF2h3QgwUs&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2CiWIjMqbBS1vlJDbJHeMOhsIz1BGcMcuUYiFgWg7YfjodGkVIdfADRuw

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not since this week, they cant. Or it has become even more difficult to own certain obsolete cals like .44 Russian and .32 Lago. as all of ..oh 7 gangsters were shot with them in the UK in the last few years?:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMF2h3QgwUs&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2CiWIjMqbBS1vlJDbJHeMOhsIz1BGcMcuUYiFgWg7YfjodGkVIdfADRuw

UK criminals seem to be a rather poorly resourced lot compared to ours by the sound of it, no shortage of illegally held and imported modern caliber handguns here.

Poor British gangsters having to do with the guns their great great grandfathers slaughtered the colonial heathens with.

• Advertisement

Noooo. They are removing six rounds from the obsolete list, mainly because they are easily (relatively) manufactured from other rounds, and because they are pistol/revolver rounds. But they are adding twenty three more too that obsolete list, mainly old rifle calibres.

The guy who told me this is a gunsmith in the UK. The reason its happening is a handcuffed toerag, sorry misguided youth, produced an old revolver from the back of his tracksuit bottoms and shot up the custody suite. Apparently UK police are only allowed search you so much on the street, anymore would infringe your human rights :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

UK criminals seem to be a rather poorly resourced lot compared to ours by the sound of it, no shortage of illegally held and imported modern caliber handguns here.

Poor British gangsters having to do with the guns their great great grandfathers slaughtered the colonial heathens with.

Maybe their criminals are Fudds too?
    "Pish there Ernie...One doesn't need a shooter with more than 6 shots of proper vintage to knock off the Offie or the post office on pension day! After all, Ron and Reggie always used a chopped double as proper villains would. None of those damn chopped pump actions for us! We are in London,not LA,an we do belive in hitting wot we aim at roight? Even if he has done you out of a few grand at the deal,gotta give the sod a sporting chance wiv 2 shoots,as he is makin a break for it!"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Maybe their criminals are Fudds too?
    "Pish there Ernie...One doesn't need a shooter with more than 6 shots of proper vintage to knock off the Offie or the post office on pension day! After all, Ron and Reggie always used a chopped double as proper villains would. None of those damn chopped pump actions for us! We are in London,not LA,an we do belive in hitting wot we aim at roight? Even if he has done you out of a few grand at the deal,gotta give the sod a sporting chance wiv 2 shoots,as he is makin a break for it!"

Well there was an attitude that if you gave someone a clobbering or gave them a lick of a cutthroat razor across the mush, the police wouldn't be and weren't too bothered about that. But use firearms and they come out in force.

Advertisement