Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas hampers?

Options
  • 17-11-2020 9:10pm

I'm an indecisive person at the best of times and now I need help choosing a Christmas hamper for someone I work with she has been good to me this year so I want to get her something nice.

I'm going to set my budget at €50.

Hope everyone reading this hasn't suffered too much this year and are looking forward to the best Christmas possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Buy the basket in Dunes or SUPERVALU and fill it with cool things that you know they will enjoy. You will actually get some value for the money and not a pile of stuff that rarely gets eaten. A €50 hamper will be fairly limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

krissovo wrote: »
    Buy the basket in Dunes or SUPERVALU and fill it with cool things that you know they will enjoy. You will actually get some value for the money and not a pile of stuff that rarely gets eaten. A €50 hamper will be fairly limited.

Hi Kirssovo
    Are you referring to a specific basket?
    I had a look on the Dunnes web site but not seeing anything.
    Im looking to buy baskets to make a few home made hampers but not sure where I can buy them..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got lovely little hampers/gift baskets before in the 2 Euro shop. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Anjunadeep wrote: »
    Hi Kirssovo
    Im looking to buy baskets to make a few home made hampers but not sure where I can buy them..

Same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

krissovo wrote: »
    Agree with this.
    You can buy whay they really like (chocolate, jam, coffee/tea, oil, pate, mustard...) - maybe add a Christmas mug, egg cup holder, or kitchen towel - so it is a much more personal gift that a ready-made hamper will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Posy wrote: »
    I got lovely little hampers/gift baskets before in the 2 Euro shop. :)

I have bought a few of these too - some of them come with the plastic to wrap it with and a bow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hi Kirssovo

I'd say these are the baskets https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/willow-basket/7654842
    They don't come with the plastic wrapping, you can get that in a florists.
    We got a hamper in one of these baskets and now I use it to store our some of our little boys toys :)

ETA- I actually got one of the specific hamper ones in 'The Card Shop' and for €9, the quality was awful. Would definitely go with something like the above.

Thanks for the advice everyone. You're right, I should put together something myself, although I have no idea what to get. I'm faced with the question that has puzzled men since the beginning of time. What does a woman want?

If it helps the woman in question is in her late 30s or early 40s. The only thing that springs to mind immediately is a bottle of Bailey's or some nice wine or even both.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions for what I should consider getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This site might give you some ideas to put something together ... red wine, sheridans crackers, hard cheese with long date, chutneys, baileys, chocolates etc
    https://www.gifts.ie/hampers/all-hampers

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Maybe add some Christmas slippers or a Christmas fleecy blanket if she seems the kind to watch Christmas movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,346 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Aldi have hamper baskets and lovely gift boxes in stock now.

You'll need to do some ground work to find out what alcohol she likes, arenyou sure she likes Baileys and wine?

As well as food and drink I'd suggest a really nice hand cream, everyone has dry hands now from all the washing and use of sanitiser. I also like the recommendation above of something christmassy like the tea towel. It's hard to buy decorations etc in case she has a theme with hers.

A sincere message on a nice card is probably the most important thing too, it's always nice to know you're appreciated.

ETA: A nice candle too!

I got some of the baskets from Dunnes today. I think once you remove the cloth they are perfect.
    Just need to find somewhere to buy the plastic material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I got some of the baskets from Dunnes today. I think once you remove the cloth they are perfect.
    Just need to find somewhere to buy the plastic material.

Oh did you remove the cloth? I actually like it with the cloth :)

Florists stock the plastic. You might find something here too https://www.google.com/search?q=cellophane+bags+for+hampers&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT0ceOspTtAhXIVsAKHYSZDq8Q_AUIBA :)

jellybear wrote: »
    Oh did you remove the cloth? I actually like it with the cloth :)

Florists stock the plastic. You might find something here too https://www.google.com/search?q=cellophane+bags+for+hampers&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjT0ceOspTtAhXIVsAKHYSZDq8Q_AUIBA :)

thanks will check the local florists.
    I havent removed the cloth yet but thinking of it.. Thought the cloth kind of made it look like a basket for laundry :)

Advertisement