Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Queen’s Gambit | Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I took a chance on this. I know it's getting good reviews, but a lot of things get good reviews and can leave me cold. And sometimes I think there's a tendency on the part of critics to praise something for its elements - like on-screen representation of the previously little seen - or even a work's themes or political message and to kind of let it off the hook for other elements where it can be lacking. So when I saw a new show about a female chess prodigy, I was a bit skeptical about how good it really was.

Well, so far - two episodes in - it is really good.

Maybe it lays the emotive hand holding of the soundtrack on a little bit too strong at times and perhaps Elizabeth is just too impossibly brilliant to be true, but those are minor enough quibbles. It's gripping, emotionally nuanced, well acted, quite funny in places and it looks great. If it can keep up this standard to the end, this is a real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I watched it, dragged in parts but very good overall. Not what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pummice

I play a bit of chess - so in future i'm going to stare at my opponent after every move, like in this series. I should be ok, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

pummice wrote: »
    I play a bit of chess - so in future i'm going to stare at my opponent after every move, like in this series. I should be ok, right?

And don't forget to walk around the room between moves not paying attention to your competitor,it will freak them out and the game will be in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

E mac wrote: »
    And don't forget to walk around the room between moves not paying attention to your competitor,it will freak them out and the game will be in the bag!

Walking around is common enough at tournaments, when games can last up to three hours. It's nice to be able to stretch your legs and see if there's anything interesting happening on any of the other boards. Or see if there's anyone with a worse position than your own. And it's a good way to kill time if your own game has been brought to an untimely and unfortunate end.. :)

If you're referring of the game against the Russian kid, Bath was within her rights to walk around, but she did it in a pretty intimidating manner, and that foot-tapping was well out of order, and should have been brought to the attention of the tournament director. That was definitely her meaner side coming out.

The novel indicates that playing someone so young actually got to her: "... she felt uncomfortable. She was supposed to be the prodigy [...] She looked at him as he was moving a piece—at the skinny little arm stuck out from the absurd shirt—and she hated him. He could have been a machine. You little creep, she thought, suddenly realizing that the adults she had played as a child must have thought the same thing about her."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

storker wrote: »
    Walking around is common enough at tournaments, when games can last up to three hours. It's nice to be able to stretch your legs and see if there's anything interesting happening on any of the other boards. Or see if there's anyone with a worse position than your own. And it's a good way to kill time if your own game has been brought to an untimely and unfortunate end.. :)

If you're referring of the game against the Russian kid, Bath was within her rights to walk around, but she did it in a pretty intimidating manner, and that foot-tapping was well out of order, and should have been brought to the attention of the tournament director. That was definitely her meaner side coming out.

The novel indicates that playing someone so young actually got to her: "... she felt uncomfortable. She was supposed to be the prodigy [...] She looked at him as he was moving a piece—at the skinny little arm stuck out from the absurd shirt—and she hated him. He could have been a machine. You little creep, she thought, suddenly realizing that the adults she had played as a child must have thought the same thing about her."

Did not know that! Thought it was highly disrespectful to walk away from the board as she did.

pummice wrote: »

During the Kasparov-Short match in 1993, one of the commentators noted that Short was giving Kasp some unfriendly body language, possibly even declining to shake hands, I can't remember. The comment of another GM was along the lines of "That's all very well, but you do actually have to play some good moves too..."

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭longfellow deeds

This was really very good, the best thing I've watched in some time.
    Discovered it on Sunday night and watched the first episode, 2 episodes on Monday, 3 last night and just finished the last episode tonight Wednesday.
    Who would have thought a story involving chess could be so entertaining.
    Cleary they put a lot of thought into the style as well.
    The mother was some character.
    9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

So many melodramatic viewers ... it was good, not great in the end. Nit picking her 'demeanor' is off, we were never meant to love her, nor even like her, it's not a sit-com - her opponents were less likable in general, and I'm never feeling for a kid who's clearly been forced into that life - grow up son, find your own ventures - reminds me of those tortured Russian gymnasts - I wonder how many of them that were forced to do the splits at age 3-4 are still running the horse today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I thought the chess presentation was inconsequential.
    Fine quoting all the greats but they rarely showed any of her gameplay.
    Character was like a cross between killing Zoe and Amelie. Music was a bit rip off of Requiem for a Dream.
    It kept me watching and enjoying it ...but in a frustrated way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Treppen wrote: »
    I thought the chess presentation was inconsequential.
    Fine quoting all the greats but they rarely showed any of her gameplay.

It would bore anyone who isn't a chess nerd to death if they did that.

Yeah I know nothing about chess, I'm glad they didn't go more in depth about the gameplay as it would have added nothing but filler for me

Odeta wrote: »
    I love playing chess

No you don't, trust them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

great show. watched it all in 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So based on an actual game ... between men ?

But me must clean history ...

woke nonsense.

You're always angry Hector

Be it in the Covid threads or here, where we seek light distractions away from things

Get some fresh air

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this but one thing and it isn't really a complaint about the show, just something personal but I found it hard to get behind Beth after
    she reveals she never sent the 10 dollars. Dunno why for a fictional story it just really stuck with me.

What was that part again? She didn't send it to who?

Think this was one of the best things netflix has produced all year.

It's easily in their all time top 3 for me

It felt as strong as season one of House Of Cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

It would bore anyone who isn't a chess nerd to death if they did that.

Ya but all I hear is people saying the chess scenes were very well presented!
    "Oh no it's not boring they make chess look interesting actually" I've heard in a view reviews .
    It looks shoite actually.
    I think they're just doing the whole autism thing but badly

• ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What was that part again? She didn't send it to who?
    Shaibel, when he sent her the money to enter the tournament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watched the first episode and impressed with the deft storytelling on display. The chess aspect was almost immaterial to the surprisingly dark, sad story of child drug addiction. Little of Taylor-Joy but the child actor was excellent.

While I'd generally criticise Netflix's programming tactic of volume over precision, there's a sense something like this couldn't ever get made on a traditional network. A very cinematic, obviously creative production allowed to be as long or short as needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just finished this tonight.

First 4 or 5 episodes were really good. Last 2 or 4 not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭MattressRick

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this but one thing and it isn't really a complaint about the show, just something personal but I found it hard to get behind Beth after
    she reveals she never sent the 10 dollars. Dunno why for a fictional story it just really stuck with me.

Yeah it definitely made you think of her as selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Presume this will be a one season only thing. Hard to see how they could swing a second.

Fitting with her character in general I thought

Can't see there being a 2nd series, would have to be a different character - I mean they made this one up so why not? And he'd have to have 'issues' of some kind as every lead tends to these days

jon1981 wrote: »
    Presume this will be a one season only thing. Hard to see how they could swing a second.

As much as the appetite is there for it from many Netflix viewers, I hope they leave it at one very good to excellent season

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

She was happy enough for the adoptive mother to get 15%. It probably slipped her mind or she didn't want to think of the place again if she could help it.

Her not visiting Mr. Shaibel I thought was strange but could have been for the same reason. I was waiting for that but you see it in real life with parents or grandparents if someone has moved out they may have the best intentions but it just keeps getting pushed back and you may not see them as regularly as you want. Especially when you are likely drained from taking a huge amount of pills!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    As much as the appetite is there for it from many Netflix viewers, I hope they leave it at one very good to excellent season

I think it's better to have a short, punchy run and leave it at that.

• I wouldn't mind seeing a Jolene spin-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I wouldn't mind seeing a Jolene spin-off.

No thanks. The horribly clichéd 'magical black person' trope in the last episode was one of the few flaws with the series.

• Advertisement

I think it's better to have a short, punchy run and leave it at that.

Now now, TV series can work really well after the books stop. Just look at Game of Thrones.

Oh...

Advertisement