Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Training - What's next after 10km?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hey all, hoping for either some ideas, or a rubber stamp of my plan :)

I'm at the tail end of the Hal Higdon Novice 10k. Ran 11.44km @ 5m 46s and 77% MHR average yesterday.

Have about 3 weeks of 2x/week runs and 5 weeks of 3x/week under my belt now and everything feels ok so far.

I'm VERY aware that I could run myself into the ground quickly so I'm looking for some ideas...

What I'm thinking might be smart is to do the following;

> re-run the novice 10k progression
    > add 1-2km to the longest run of the week each week
    > throw in a 15-20 minute 65-70% MHR 4th day somewhere in the week

That would bring average mileage (can I say mileage when talking in kms? kilometerage sounds odd) from about 15-117km/week to 21-24km and would probably see a longest run of around 15-18km in 8/9 weeks time.

I don't want to do anything tempo or speed related right now. Just wanna be able to turn the noggin off, bang on a podcast and get some easy cardio in.

Would love some ideas. And don't mind paying for a program if there's one worth looking at.

Short/medium term goal = sub 2 hour half marathon

(I've also no idea how reasonable that is with current stats, or how long it'd likely take - so would welcome info there too!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hi, sounds like you've started very sensibly!

The first programme I ever followed (and one of the only ones I've 100% successfully followed) was the Hal Higdon Novice Half - the mileage not much more than you're doing now. It requires 4 days a week running, but the mileage not particularly high, starts at 12 miles and peaks at about 22 miles. Longest run I think is 10 miles.
    You could take it easy completing this programme, then repeat it again or try the Novice 2 before trying the sub 2 hour half marathon. And fair play with the heart rate training - good way to go to make sure you're taking things easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Hi, sounds like you've started very sensibly!

The first programme I ever followed (and one of the only ones I've 100% successfully followed) was the Hal Higdon Novice Half - the mileage not much more than you're doing now. It requires 4 days a week running, but the mileage not particularly high, starts at 12 miles and peaks at about 22 miles. Longest run I think is 10 miles.
    You could take it easy completing this programme, then repeat it again or try the Novice 2 before trying the sub 2 hour half marathon. And fair play with the heart rate training - good way to go to make sure you're taking things easy enough.

I did not know he had a novice half plan. That seems like the most sensible approach so. Sorted. Thanks :)

Advertisement