Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant Queries!

Options
  • 13-11-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I have decided to go private in Holles street but haven’t decided on consultant yet. Website says they range from €2.5k to €5k. Is the only way to find out cost to ring each individual consultants secretary? I can’t seem to find out online.
    Also is the 1st appointment with consultant the 12 week scan? I also think I read the consultant can do that harmony test. Is that correct?
    Sorry bout all the questions!!
    Thank you! B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I'm semi private with Dr Stephen Carroll (He is also available through the private clinic) and I can't recommend him highly enough.
    For private you do need to call each secretary to get the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I'm semi private with Dr Stephen Carroll (He is also available through the private clinic) and I can't recommend him highly enough.
    For private you do need to call each secretary to get the costs.

I am also with dr Stephen Carroll as a semi private patient, he seems a very genuine doctor and is lovely to talk to, I second this recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Most consultants do scans earlier than 12 weeks. Mine in the Coombe does 2 scans before 12 weeks.

The Harmony Test is usually carried out somewhere in the hospital. As far as i know it's not your consultant who does it. Mine doesn't carry it out anyway. Its done in a separate dept in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I’m in Holles street and the harmony test is done in the Merrion Fetal health clinic there. It’s an extra cost, not included in your consultants fee. You also have to pay more for bloods and your big scan there if private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I am also with dr Stephen Carroll as a semi private patient, he seems a very genuine doctor and is lovely to talk to, I second this recommendation.

He's my consultant too, I'm meeting him this week, such a relief to hear :) I'm semi private.

Would anyone mind telling me what to expect at the 16 week consultation? I feel like I've told the midwives everything (feel free to PM me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

GingerLily wrote: »
    He's my consultant too, I'm meeting him this week, such a relief to hear :) I'm semi private.

Would anyone mind telling me what to expect at the 16 week consultation? I feel like I've told the midwives everything (feel free to PM me)

Mine was a phone consultation, I’ve my 28week in January which is face to face. He introduced himself to me, was very cheery and nice. We went through my medical history - I have a facet joint injury and herniated disc that healed late 2019, so he referred me to pain managment clinic to see can I have a natural birth vs section due to my back.
    He also asked if I have any questions, went through my 12 weeks scan, offered me the harmony test but honestly my odds were so low due to my age he said it’s only if I want it, he was not pushy and let me talk which is good, some consultants jump straight to their own conclusions.

I wish it was face to face, but I have that first week January when I’m 29weeks. I got my 20week scan and everything normal so I’m glad I didn’t spend the €450 on harmony test, we got a private scan done instead so my partner could go.

Semi private in Holles street your 20week scan is included in the €950, it’s carried out in the Merrion fetal health clinic and as of this week no partners are allowed to attend.

Advertisement