Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leon

• 15-11-2020 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭

so few drinks and it suddenly occured to me I should watch this

let me speak to our mutal friend
    he wants to talk to you
    yes?
    make sure he understands. then let him go
    do you understand
    *terrified nods*
    so say it
    sss I understand

besson's greatest movie
    France's greatest movie
    best French thing ever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Don't watch the Directors Cut, ups the levels of subtle creepiness to a much higher level while still not really engaging in a meaningful way with it so it becomes a uncomfortable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

gimli2112 wrote: »
    so few drinks and it suddenly occured to me I should watch this

let me speak to our mutal friend
    he wants to talk to you
    yes?
    make sure he understands. then let him go
    do you understand
    *terrified nods*
    so say it
    sss I understand

besson's greatest movie
    France's greatest movie
    best French thing ever

Still watch it every now and again - one of my favourites, slightly eclipsed by Midnight Run (mainly for DeNiro's bad language)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the relationship between the child and Leon was potentially uncomfortable imo but ultimately not, as there was no sexual interest on his part.
    He's someone with huge issues, unbeliveably lonely. His life is what is is but when she enters it, it flips him.

Watched this a couple of years ago again - didn't think that it held up that well and not just because of the revisionist child sexualisation element.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

One of my fave films, not a fan of the director's cut though!

• Advertisement

it's interesting you say that Glasso, I'm watching it now and thing it holds up tremendously well I think, the music, the way it's shot. It's fantastic.
    If I look at some of the movies made at the time they look horribly dated, not this. The 90s has some gems and this is one, imo

I thought that the girl's family were really paper-thin as characters when viewing it again. wasn't even believable that she came from that family.

and Oldman was a little over the top also I thought. too much of a caricature. he could have been more menacing without the extreme end of the cartoon aspects imo.

re the cinematography - would agree yes that does not suffer in terms of dating like a lot of 90's movies have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

glasso wrote: »
    and Oldman was a little over the top also I thought. too much of a caricature. he could have been more menacing without the extreme end of the cartoon aspects imo.
    He's one of the great movie cop villains! Wouldn't change a thing he does. Subtlety is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the first few user reviews on IMDB are, errrr, a touch creepy !!

link

must be the pedo's mainstream film of choice alright.

they are out in force on the imdb review section for Leon.

another review from imdb

ffs.
    Time for Leon To Return

zaabgssu9 February 2020
    We need a follow-up to the original and intriguing story of an assassin who takes a young girl under his wings and she ends up providing him with emotional support. I love action movies where people are not thrown a parsec into the air, land and are good to go.

In the follow-up Mathilda has given Leon a boy and a girl and only one of them is following Leon's path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't watch the Directors Cut, ups the levels of subtle creepiness to a much higher level while still not really engaging in a meaningful way with it so it becomes a uncomfortable watch.

There's some bits in the directors cut that don't include any extra creepyness and IMO should have remained in the movie.

This for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

2smiggy wrote: »
    the first few user reviews on IMDB are, errrr, a touch creepy !!

link

Jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

I was surprised to find out a few weeks ago that Luc Besson met his second wife (Maïwenn Le Besco) when she was 12 and he was 29 and they started officially dating when she was 15. They married and had a child together when she was 16. Le Bosco claims that their relationship inspired "Léon". When she was 20 he left her for the 22 year old Milla Jovovich whom he met during filming "The Fifth Element" which his wife was also in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well now, there's a movie I won't be able to watch with the same eyes again. Yuck. Oldman's scenery chewing remains eternal though...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Besson's greatest movie

Definitely
    France's greatest movie

That would be Le Samourai

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

There’s a lot of suspension of belief that a narco squad can go into an apartment without a warrant, slaughter a family including a toddler, shooting a mother in a bath, a teenage girl in the back with only one weapon found at the scene and for a minor drug seizure (that I’m not even sure they declare as evidence) since it’s their own drugs they are dealing) and the cops are allowed to go about their business and not be put in handcuffs.

Good movie, not a great movie.

it's like terminator 2 would have been a great movie but for the suspension of belief
    c+

Advertisement