Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Having worked a little bit in the bar trade when I was younger. The weeks leading up to Christmas were a total nightmere and generally a very unpleasant experience

January couldn't come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Quazzie wrote: »
    So it's supposed to be the national team. Living here for 3 years does not make you Irish.

Really makes a mockery of international rugby on one side, on the other gives a sport with a small pool of quality players to play for weaker nations.

However, when larger rugby nations like New Zealand and England hoover up lads from the Pacific Islands the system is broken.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-pacific-islands-lost-xv-rugby-world-cup-edition/

Thankfully residency rules will be changed to 5 years next year.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/world-rugby-residency-rule-ireland-122869#:~:text=From%20January%201st%202021%20on,current%20three%2Dyear%20residency%20rule.

Might curtail it a bit. But think the top 8 nations in rugby should have no residency players. They are strong enough? Unpopular opinion?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Really makes a mockery of international rugby on one side, on the other gives a sport with a small pool of quality players to play for weaker nations.

However, when larger rugby nations like New Zealand and England hoover up lads from the Pacific Islands the system is broken.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-pacific-islands-lost-xv-rugby-world-cup-edition/

Thankfully residency rules will be changed to 5 years next year.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/world-rugby-residency-rule-ireland-122869#:~:text=From%20January%201st%202021%20on,current%20three%2Dyear%20residency%20rule.

Might curtail it a bit. But think the top 8 nations in rugby should have no residency players. They are strong enough? Unpopular opinion?

If we’re talking someone who’s played for Leinster for three seasons and plays for us then I have a massive issue with that.

Only having an Irish born 15 is not right - I’m not born in Ireland but my dad was Irish, I was brought up Irish, I’ve lived her for decades and paid taxes, I’m Irish to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,346 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Gervais08 wrote: »
    If we’re talking someone who’s played for Leinster for three seasons and plays for us then I have a massive issue with that.

Only having an Irish born 15 is not right - I’m not born in Ireland but my dad was Irish, I was brought up Irish, I’ve lived her for decades and paid taxes, I’m Irish to the core.

Yeah but in your case you have an Irish background. Rugby should have the simple grandparents - parents rule as well. Similar to soccer before soccer messed it up.
    Residency rules should only apply for those playing for nations outside top 8 nations in world rugby.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    plus our pick is only about the same size as that of wales , soccer is the number one sport in scotland , here its a distant second behind GAA

Really?
    I would imagine that there are more people playing football than gaa every week.

• Advertisement

We now have the younger brother of the england 'fly-half' and ex-english underage star playing for ireland

Team of us, me hole

His mother is Irish.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So it's supposed to be the national team. Living here for 3 years does not make you Irish.

It’s 5 years for residency.

While I’m not a fan of it myself, that’s a good portion of any player’s career. If they’ve moved here and lived here for half a decade and bought into the place like CJ Stander for example I suppose it’s not for me to say who and who isn’t Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Yeah but in your case you have an Irish background. Rugby should have the simple grandparents - parents rule as well. Similar to soccer before soccer messed it up.
    Residency rules should only apply for those playing for nations outside top 8 nations in world rugby.

Agree tbf yeah!!!

While I’m not a fan of it myself, that’s a good portion of any player’s career. If they’ve moved here and lived here for half a decade and bought into the place like CJ Stander for example I suppose it’s not for me to say who and who isn’t Irish.

I’ll say it. CJ Stander isn’t Irish.

Is it true james lowes,when asked about what its like to represen ireland said "its great to play international" and never mentioned anything about ireland.....kind of says it all.imo

These guys are using ireland team to further their career(and fair play to em,i guess?)....

Is it true ireland has upto 5 mercanies on the panel at any given time....what is bundee aki relationship to ireland,hes born to samoan parents in manukau,south auckland??

• Advertisement

His mother is Irish.

Whats his relationship to cyprus,whom his brother sam,used play for??

Residency rules are a joke

Whats his relationship to cyprus,whom his brother sam,used play for??

Residency rules are a joke

I have no idea tbh. What’s that got to do with his mother being Irish?

But then I suppose given it’s rugby you’ll have to find some way to get some random jab in anywhere as you tend to do.

At what point can immigrants be regarded as Irish? Or would you be of the opinion immigrants won’t ever be Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

At what point can immigrants be regarded as Irish? Or would you be of the opinion immigrants won’t ever be Irish?

when their grandparents and parents are born here and have lived the formative parts of their lives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

when their grandparents and parents are born here and have lived the formative parts of their lives here.

So by that logic Éamon de Valera isn't Irish enough for you?

Jesus wept...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I have no interest in GAA whatsoever.

Whilst I appreciate it's a huge part of Irish culture and many people love it, I don't really give a fucking shit about it.

Travellers themselves are the reason they are feared and hated in Irish society.
    Society didn't magically start to "discriminate" for no reason.

Teachers' holidays are too long. They should have to do alternative work during the summer and Easter as part of their salaried contractual obligations.
    They should have only 4 weeks annual leave like the rest of us.

We shouldn't allow dual citizenship here.

The UK should be the be the only exception as per the GFA.

If I moved to China for financial reasons - in 20 years time I still wouldn’t be a Chinaman.

If I moved to China for financial reasons - in 20 years time I still wouldn’t be a Chinaman.

And if a Chinese person moves here to live and work and earn more money and they engage with the culture they can’t consider themselves Irish after 20 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kia_Kaha wrote: »
    So by that logic Éamon de Valera isn't Irish enough for you?

Jesus wept...

He was an American born man to an Irish woman and a Basque man. He did a hell of a lot for Ireland but was only half Irish.

I have no idea tbh. What’s that got to do with his mother being Irish?

But then I suppose given it’s rugby you’ll have to find some way to get some random jab in anywhere as you tend to do.

Mate...you have 3 brothers in the one family,playing international rugby for 3 different countries??

The residency rules is a joke....we rightly complain on grealish picking endland after playing for us underage all the way up.....

billy burns deos exact same in reverse....media blackout on qs it,for fear of upsetting irfu and getting 'cut out' of press conferences/interviews

When will the burns brothers have an onfield reunion??

Mate...you have 3 brothers in the one family,playing international rugby for 3 different countries??

The residency rules is a joke....we rightly complain on grealish picking endland after playing for us underage all the way up.....

billy burns deos exact same in reverse....media blackout on qs it,for fear of upsetting irfu and getting 'cut out' of press conferences/interviews

When will the burns brothers have an onfield reunion??

I’ve no idea what the Cyprus connection is, pretty irrelevant regardless as they’re a nonentity in International rugby.

As for the other two; it’s absolutely possible for brothers to play international sport for different countries if they’re qualified by familial descent so I don’t really see what you’re getting at.

And if a Chinese person moves here to live and work and earn more money and they engage with the culture they can’t consider themselves Irish after 20 years?

He can consider himself to be anything he likes, however he’d still be a Chinaman.

My aunt is in London nearly 70 years. Her children and grandchildren are English but she’s still Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭joeguevara

He can consider himself to be anything he likes, however he’d still be a Chinaman.

My aunt is in London nearly 70 years. Her children and grandchildren are English but she’s still Irish.

I’d disagree with that one. My grandparents moved to London and all their kids were born there. Not a chance would the kids be considered English. They are Irish through and through. I’d agree with everything else.

I’ve no idea what the Cyprus connection is, pretty irrelevant regardless as they’re a nonentity in International rugby.

Same as circa 196 other countries :pac:
    As for the other two; it’s absolutely possible for brothers to play international sport for different countries if they’re qualified by familial descent so I don’t really see what you’re getting at.

Fair enough,if yous are happy with people who are only playing for 'team of us' (snigger) to pocket money as they cant make a top tier team....kinda head-in-sand nature of irish stuff though

The irfu having little interest in devloping native players,prefering to sign mercaniries,and keep the hype train going,

whats point in some young lad from an ordinary school...of training up to be international "standred" if he has only 20% possibility of making team and even.then the irfu prefers to pick mercaniries over him

Didnt argentina recently beat NZ,will they release a dvd package about it for xmas,and talk incessently for next few years about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Spongebob Squarepants is shyte.

SB is a whiny, irritating character.

He was an American born man to an Irish woman and a Basque man. He did a hell of a lot for Ireland but was only half Irish.

He was born on US soil, he wasn't American born.

Your post seems to contradict itself.

If deValera is American by virtue of being born in the US then logically people born here are Irish too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

He was born on US soil, he wasn't American born.

Your post seems to contradict itself.

If deValera is American by virtue of being born in the US then logically people born here are Irish too.

Except legally they're not...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

And never will be

Advertisement