Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for advice

• 14-11-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi fellas

This is probably a bit of a strange one but all advice gratefully received.

My 10 year old is sniper mad! He constantly watches sniper training and such clips on YouTube. And then sets himself up somewhere in the house all dressed up and looking for targets

He has Nerf guns but has asked for a realistic gun (and a gillie suit!!!) from Santa.

A fairly decent looking realistic rifle (that won't break in 5 minutes) can't be found on the usual channels so I'm considering an Airsoft rifle for him.

However I don't want him to have one that fires. He is under 18 after all and that's illegal, right....but....

.....is it possible to block the barrel but still have the firing action or would the energy created by firing need the barrel to escape. A blocked barrel makes it a prop and not illegal....I think

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Hi, owning airsoft guns is not illegal per sé as a minor, but most retailers operate an over 18's policy, as such you can purchase the gun and then give it to your budding sniper. In an ideal world I would suggest going to your closest airsoft retailer and let him handle the replicas to see what he is most comfortable with.
    https://hobbyairsoft.ie/airsoft-guns/rifles/Sniper-Rifles/DE-M61-Double-Eagle-Sniper-Rifle-M61-VSR10-VSR-Clone
    This type would probably suit smaller hands better, scopes and ghillie suits can be bought on the same retailer.
    When your purchasing (online or in person) if you ask them to remove the inner barrel & hop up unit assembly this will make the gun inoperable but it will still cock and fire, and if at a later date he wants to actually shoot bbs it can be reinstalled. My local site allows 12 y/o and up if they are gaming with an adult. So not too long till your guy can be out gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Wow. That's cool. Thanks very much 👍👍👍
    thermo wrote: »
    Hi, owning airsoft guns is not illegal per sé as a minor, but most retailers operate an over 18's policy, as such you can purchase the gun and then give it to your budding sniper. In an ideal world I would suggest going to your closest airsoft retailer and let him handle the replicas to see what he is most comfortable with.
    https://hobbyairsoft.ie/airsoft-guns/rifles/Sniper-Rifles/DE-M61-Double-Eagle-Sniper-Rifle-M61-VSR10-VSR-Clone
    This type would probably suit smaller hands better, scopes and ghillie suits can be bought on the same retailer.
    When your purchasing (online or in person) if you ask them to remove the inner barrel & hop up unit assembly this will make the gun inoperable but it will still cock and fire, and if at a later date he wants to actually shoot bbs it can be reinstalled. My local site allows 12 y/o and up if they are gaming with an adult. So not too long till your guy can be out gaming.

No bothers :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tomdotcom

and welcome into the community... you will see its great father son or father daughter or even husband and wife acttivity :-)

tomdotcom wrote: »
    and welcome into the community... you will see great husband and wife acttivity :-)

Oh behave, matron!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I accidentally shot my wife in the back of the head on full auto at point blank range last time I was at Spec Ops, true story :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

o1s1n wrote: »
    I accidentally shot my wife in the back of the head on full auto at point blank range last time I was at Spec Ops, true story :pac:

And your still here .

Give that man a medal

Master of the Universe

Gatling wrote: »
    And your still here .

Give that man a medal

Yeah she riddled me with my mates m60 soon afterwards so got her revenge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah she riddled me with my mates m60 soon afterwards so got her revenge :pac:

That's not right , some mates can't be trusted

Master of the Universe

Gatling wrote: »
    That's not right , some mates can't be trusted

Literally made me laugh out loud :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement