Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've been struggling to find certain things in Argos recently, and was really missing checkargos, so I decided to download @witnessmenow's code from github and have a mess around.

So far it's just a proof of concept, but I seem to have the basic mechanics working.

pK0BhCI.jpg

Looks great Basil, well done!

Just an update, have messaged witnessmenow, and he said he potentially has a bit of time coming up next week to have a look at getting the site back up and running properly, so I'll just wait to see how he gets on.

He would have a much nicer version of the site than the old php one I pulled off github, and now that he knows that most of his old work still works fine with a few minor mods hopefully he gets it working again ahead of Xmas coming up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's great news :)

If you're reading this witnessmenow, stick some sort of donate button on it. I'll chuck you the money for a pint in exchange for having it back up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Certainly worth adding a buymeacoffee type link or buymeabeer link..

@Basil, Any chance you can check in that modded code to a github repo or do a PR to the main branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've been struggling to find certain things in Argos recently, and was really missing checkargos, so I decided to download @witnessmenow's code from github and have a mess around.

So far it's just a proof of concept, but I seem to have the basic mechanics working.

pK0BhCI.jpg

That's nostalgic :)‚ I thought this logo had a nice charm to it :)

I'm not sure how much you had to change it, but whatever you didn't need to change is 9 years old and it is an absolute discrace to argos.ie that it still works!

The newer version of the site (built using nodejs) needs to be cleaned up before it can be shared, it's split into some micro services too so it's not a matter of just sharing a repo. It was also built on top of services that no longer offer free versions .

As Basil mentioned, I do have some time next week so I'll try to take a look at getting back online. It will definitely be a stripped back version of it (no price history, no notifications etc) but if I could just get stock checking back and maybe search it should be relatively useful

For people suggesting donation links, I may include some but I do want to make it very clear that (as you can probably tell) checkargos wouldn't be high on my priority list these days so if it goes down again and it's not something simple than I may not get around to it.

• Advertisement

tommycahir wrote: »
    Certainly worth adding a buymeacoffee type link or buymeabeer link..

@Basil, Any chance you can check in that modded code to a github repo or do a PR to the main branch?

Have added the Pull Request, I think that's the only file that really needed editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I see Argos in the news today due to cutbacks from owner Sainsburys in the UK. No mention of Irish stores in any article I have found, but in the UK most standalone stores will close by 2024.

"Sainsbury's to cut 3,500 jobs and close 420 Argos stores"
    Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54818644

"Sainsbury’s to close most Argos stores"
    Article: https://www.ft.com/content/cd51b979-6a07-405c-a53b-644ec029e0b6

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JDxtra wrote: »
    I see Argos in the news today due to cutbacks from owner Sainsburys in the UK. No mention of Irish stores in any article I have found, but in the UK most standalone stores will close by 2024.

"Sainsbury's to cut 3,500 jobs and close 420 Argos stores"
    Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54818644

"Sainsbury’s to close most Argos stores"
    Article: https://www.ft.com/content/cd51b979-6a07-405c-a53b-644ec029e0b6

Rumour is that they are seeking a location to stock/deliver Sainsburys fresh foods for home deliveries only, in the greater Dublin area- however, this particular rumour has been doing the rounds for the past 18 months or so.

Checkargos is back online if anyone wants to give it a try.

It's had a few bells and whistles removed, but basic stock checking should be working. Let me know if you run into any issues.

At the moment it only supports product IDs. Search is working locally for me, but is not working when deployed on the server, need to figure out what is different. (The request to argos is blocked, but it's not like they have the server banned, it's a new server and other requests work)

Another thing that has changed is the possibility of being available for online order as well as collection, that is new! I've added support for that

The code is now open source if anyone wants to take a look. Word of warning, it is an absolute mess. It was fairly thrown together at parts at the time, and that was 5 or 6 years ago with minimum maintenance. Also a lot of stuff was hacked off it as they stopped working, so not ideal.

For the first time since I first wrote checkargos 10 years ago, I have updated the stock checking code! The old one would still work ok, but I found an easier endpoint for finding it out.

I would expect to see some teething issues for the first few days so just let me know if something is up and I'll see what I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Great to see CA back in action witnessmenow :)

One small thing!
    The Limerick Cruises Street store is now gone, but still available from the selection of stores!

Otherwise, great stuff and thanks to Basil3 for everything they did too :)

• Advertisement

Limerick Cruises Street is now removed, thanks Marcbrophy.

The site seems to be crashing a bit at the moment, it will auto restart so give it a minute if it does, but something that needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 maxiiim

Hi, witnessmenow

He he - get it working - i've emplemented integration on https://pricescanner.ie/argos/

:)

Limerick Cruises Street is now removed, thanks Marcbrophy.

The site seems to be crashing a bit at the moment, it will auto restart so give it a minute if it does, but something that needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Now we're just being spoiled.. :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hey folks,
    Thought it might be good place to ask. Is it possible to use 2 cards for a single transaction in Argos? Say 200 on a card and 300 on another?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Hey folks,
    Thought it might be good place to ask. Is it possible to use 2 cards for a single transaction in Argos? Say 200 on a card and 300 on another?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Can't see it being a problem, it's no different to paying part with One4All, and the rest with cash or another card, which I've done several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Canonfan wrote: »
    SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab S6 Lite for €277, available in grey and blue.

You also get 4 months Youtube Premium free. Not a bad deal for tablet with S pen.

Currys price: €419
    Amason: £345

The reservation doesn't complete. Another of these hooks to get people thinking Argos is great for bargains, but you can't actually buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Quazzie wrote: »
    The reservation doesn't complete. Another of these hooks to get people thinking Argos is great for bargains,l but you can't actually buy it

They have 1 in stock to click and collect in limerick the crescent

Quazzie wrote: »
    The reservation doesn't complete. Another of these hooks to get people thinking Argos is great for bargains, but you can't actually buy it

Ive checked stock, and reserved one to test. There's quite a few of the blue around.

Grey only one in Sligo, Castlebar and Carlow.

Blue in Nutgrove Dublin plus about half a dozen others around Ireland.

Sorry for chat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I missed Checkargos.com, it was so good. Now pricescanner offers stock check, too.

I have a code for Dundrum shopping centre (untill the end of tomorrow), first to PM me will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I missed Checkargos.com, it was so good. Now pricescanner offers stock check, too.

I have a code for Dundrum shopping centre (untill the end of tomorrow), first to PM me will get it.

Tá sé ar ais: https://checkargos.com/

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    €75 off baby monitor

Handing out some bans might be appropriate at this point!

Cheaper from Amazon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Have one of the tablets reserved locally so there's definitely some available

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

This is it wrote: »

They are gone back to 422 now, I have one reserved at 277 too, great price

dulpit wrote: »
    Tá sé ar ais: https://checkargos.com/

Has been hit and miss lately. Was getting an upstream error most of yesterday, but seems to be working again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

If anyone has a code for the tablet they won't be using of appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab S6 Lite for €277, available in grey and blue.

You also get 4 months Youtube Premium free. Not a bad deal for tablet with S pen.

Currys price: €419
    Amason: £345

I have a code for Castlebar for collection today if anyone wants it - boss baby has decided to hold out for iPad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Can't see it being a problem, it's no different to paying part with One4All, and the rest with cash or another card, which I've done several times.

This worked no hassle... split transaction over two cards

This is it wrote: »

Picked this up just now. Was showing at €422 but they put it through manually no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Just picked up my S6 Lite, delighted with it, thanks whoever spotted it

• Advertisement

rustynutz wrote: »
    Just picked up my S6 Lite, delighted with it, thanks whoever spotted it

Yes, should've said thanks. Thank you to whoever posted. I was looking for a tablet for someone for Christmas, saved €140 on what seems like an excellent device :)

Advertisement